Omerta by Mario Puzo

Title:Omerta
Authors:Mario Puzo (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2001), 384 pages

Omerta by Mario Puzo

English (15)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (17)
This was Puzo's last novel before he died, and I must say it read very much like an old man clinging to an excellent reputation. The Godfather is one of the greatest books I've ever read and the only book to make me cry, and whilst I think the "romance" of the Mafia has faded from my concious slightly, I still find it a trifle exciting. Omerta, however, felt boring and lack-lustre. There felt, even from the first few chapters, to be far too much going on and too many people involved: whilst mafia's certainly do contain more people than first appears on the surface, to work a novel of the mafia, one would have to forget this notion slightly if a reader is to make sense of what is happening. Once the rest of Puzo's works have been read, maybe I shall return to this one... ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
A major drop off in quality from The Godfather. Not worth the read. ( )
  cmaese | Dec 26, 2014 |
Worst book I read this year. Not even worth the half star that i gave it. ( )
  Poprockz | Jan 8, 2013 |
More lightweight than I thought it would be....very much a "several months later, this happened" job.

Glad I've read it though!
  nordie | Jul 11, 2011 |
A good read, but needed more character development

I've always enjoyed Mario Puzo books, and I have read just about all of his books. Omerta is 'The Godfather' set in the early 1990s. Astorre Viola, sets out to find his uncle's killer. While he is doing this the FBI is investigating the family business and there's sections that cover Sicily.

I wanted to give this book 4 stars but while the writing was fine, and the dialogue great, I wanted more character development which made Godfather a classic. So I gave it 3 stars, 3 1/2 would be truer.
Still, the story was a great way to end this saga of murder, crime and family relationships. ( )
  SharonSommers | Dec 21, 2010 |
Omerta:a Sicilian code of honor which forbids informing about crimes thought to be the affairs of the persons involved. --World Book Dictionary
To Evelyn Murphy
1967
In the stone-filled village of Castellammare del Golfo, facing the dark Sicilian Mediterranean, a great Mafia Don lay dying.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345432401, Mass Market Paperback)

Omerta, the third novel in Mario Puzo's Mafia trilogy, is infinitely better than the third Godfather film, and most movies in fact. Besides colorful characters and snappy dialogue, it's got a knotty, gratifying, just-complex-enough plot and plenty of movie-like scenes. The newly retired Mafioso Don Raymonde Aprile attends his grandson's confirmation at St. Patrick's in New York, handing each kid a gold coin. Long shot: "Brilliant sunshine etched the image of that great cathedral into the streets around it." Medium shot: "The girls in frail cobwebby white lace dresses, the boys [with] traditional red neckties knitted at their throats to ward off the Devil." Close-up: "The first bullet hit the Don square in the forehead. The second bullet tore out his throat."

More crucial than the tersely described violence is the emotional setting: a traditional, loving clan menaced by traditional vendettas. With Don Aprile hit, the family's fate lies in the strong hands of his adopted nephew from Sicily, Astorre. The Don kept his own kids sheltered from the Mafia: one son is an army officer; another is a TV exec; his daughter Nicole (the most developed character of the three) is an ace lawyer who liked to debate the Don on the death penalty. "Mercy is a vice, a pretension to powers we do not have ... an unpardonable offense to the victim," the Don maintained. Astorre, a macaroni importer and affable amateur singer, was secretly trained to carry on the Don's work. Now his job is to show no mercy.

But who did the hit? Was it Kurt Cilke, the morally tormented FBI man who recently jailed most of the Mafia bosses? Or Timmona Portella, the Mob boss Cilke still wants to collar? How about Marriano Rubio, the womanizing, epicurean Peruvian diplomat who wants Nicole in bed--did he also want her papa's head?

If you didn't know Puzo wrote Omerta, it would be no mystery. His marks are all over it: lean prose, a romance with the Old Country, a taste for olives in barrels, a jaunty cynicism ("You cannot send six billionaires to prison," says Cilke's boss. "Not in a democracy"), an affection for characters with flawed hearts, like Rudolfo the $1,500-an-hour sexual massage therapist, or his short-tempered client Aspinella, the one-eyed NYPD detective. The simultaneous courtship of cheery Mafia tramp Rosie by identical hit-man twins Frankie and Stace Sturzo makes you fall in love with them all--and feel a genuine pang when blood proves thicker than eros.

This fitting capstone to Puzo's career is optioned for a film, and Michael Imperioli of TV's The Sopranos narrates the audiocassette version of the novel. But why wait for the movie? Omerta is a big, old-fashioned movie in its own right. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

When Don Raymonde Aprile, an old-school Mafia leader who has retired, is killed, it is not his children, who were kept strictly away from their father's business, who seek to avenge him, but his Sicilian-born ward, Astorre, the son of an even greater Mafia chieftain… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,645,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible