The Other Brother (Harlequin Presents 533)…

The Other Brother (Harlequin Presents 533) (edition 1982)

by Jessica Steele

101880,191 (3)None
Member:starlightgenie
Title:The Other Brother (Harlequin Presents 533)
Authors:Jessica Steele
Info:Harlequin Books (Mm) (1982), Edition: PF, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Romance Novels, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:September 1982, category romance, contemporary romance, fiction, Harlequin, Harlequin Presents, romance, used, boss-employee relationship, revenge, deception, office romance

The Other Brother by Jessica Steele

This review contain spoilers. But then if you read the book description, you got the basic plot of the book anyway so... :P

Kathryn Randle is sensitive on the subject of infidelity; both her father and brother-in-law being unfaithful husbands. She thinks she has found a trustworthy man in her fiancé—until she finds him in bed with his secretary a week before their nuptials.

Kathryn returns his ring and flees to her sister’s for the weekend, unbeknownst to her her ex-fiancé got into a car accident and is hospitalized. The ex’s family, who were frantic trying to locate Kathryn over the weekend, are now bewildered and hurt by the abrupt breakup to one of their own, and Nate Kingersby, the ex’s brother, put all the blame on Kathryn (Nate thinks Kathryn is the one who cheated on his brother) because pride wouldn’t have her reveal her humiliation. Sucks for her to then find out that Nate is to be her new boss, as Nate vows to seek retribution on behalf of his brother.

This book is no different than any other old school romances with their brutish and cruel heroes.

Having not so far been afraid of him, Kathryn knew real fear then as those hands left her shoulders and closed around her throat.

‘You’re not worth serving a prison sentence for,’ Nate Kingersby reviled her.
(page 33)

What sets it book apart is the heroine's actions later on. Nate plots to seduce Kathryn to the alter and then to jilt her, but his plan backfires when he finds out she was a virgin. Confused, Nate reveals his deception, leaving Kathryn at first hurt but then she quickly becomes angry. She finally tells Nate the truth, and of course Nate now feels remorseful but Kathryn wouldn't accept Nate's apology at all.

‘I know any apology from me in no way makes up for the for the hurt I’ve caused you, Kathryn,’ [Nate] said, never more serious. ‘But are you anywhere near ready yet to believe how bitterly I regret what happened?’

‘Why should I be?’ she fired back, pride out in front in not wanting him to know that hurt was still a raw wound of heart bleeding hurt.
(page 147)

I admit, this part of the books is far from perfect as it kind of drags on and because Kathryn often repeats herself. She and Nate never engage in a productive conversation. Even so, I love how Kathryn doesn't immediately forgive Nate for his behavior. I wish more romances, then and now, would be like this. I love a good grovel scene. And, while not a grovel scene, the last part of the books is very sweet as Nate has to prove to Kathryn that he can be trusted.

Also, what I like about Steele's earlier books is that the superfluous "er's" inserted in the dialogues (which makes the characters sound like idiots) are at a minimum, as with her heroines' tendency to over assume things. Both of which are rampant and overused in her later books. ( )
  starlightgenie | Jan 14, 2013 |

Jessica Steeleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Biddle, WilliamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'You're just not with me, Kathryn.'

Could love exist without trust? Kathryn had been joyously anticipating her wedding to Rex Kingersby... until she found him, one week before their wedding, in bed with his secretary! Horrified, she returned his ring. Kathryn couldn't have known then that Rex's injuries in an accident would prevent the truth from coming out--that she'd be accused of callously jilting Rex! Nate Kingersby, Rex's older brother, was another surprise. He regarded her action as an insult to his brother and family--for which Kathryn must suffer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible