The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin) by Jack…

The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin) (original 1975; edition 2000)

by Jack Higgins (Author)

Series: Liam Devlin (1), Kurt Steiner (1)

Re-released on its 25th anniversary, this classic novel is widely considered to be Higgins' greatest work. Threatened on all sides, a desperate Adolph Hitler orders that Winston Churchill be kidnapped or killed. Meanwhile, a beautiful widow and IRA assassin have laid the groundwork for the most treacherous plot of the war, beginning when Berlin receives the message, "The eagle has landed".… (more)
Member:kevinlilley
Title:The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin)
Authors:Jack Higgins (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2000), Edition: Reissue, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Read. paperback

The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins (1975)

English (20)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
I remember seeing the movie many years ago; it was better than the book. ( )
  robeik | Nov 29, 2019 |
This book was in a box of books a networking acquaintance gave me to read and then pass on to others. As far as I remember, I've not read other books from this author. For people of my age the phrase "the eagle has landed" is more associated with NASA and the space race than with World War II when this is set.

Sadly, I don't know WWII history well enough to know if the event Higgins uses as his main plot point is something that really happened and Higgins had to fill in gaps with what he thought happened or if Higgins fabricated it all and wove a plot that included finding information that set him on the investigative path.

I did recently hear about the practice of using body doubles for important figures so the final scene claiming that was who was in the countryside could have happened.

I did see another reviewer mentioned that Liam Devlin shows up in other Higgins novels which makes me lean more toward the fictionalized side of the equation--though it is possible that Higgins takes real accounts of derring do and uses one character to tie the various real-life spies and their accomplishments or failures together.

Sometimes the story was interesting, but other times it dragged or I had trouble making sense of it. There were a lot of characters and sometimes it was hard to remember who was who and who was on what side.

It's a little alarming to realize that a good deed followed by a moment of not thinking is the only reason that the plot failed. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Sep 16, 2019 |
So much has already been written about this book that I don't think my two cents worth will add much value. But if you want to see why Jack Higgins has become so successful this is still the right book with which to begin. ( )
  JohnJGaynard | Dec 31, 2018 |
In November of 1943, an elite team of Nazi paratroopers descends on British soil with a diabolical goal: to abduct Winston Churchill and cripple the Allied war effort. The mission, ordered by Hitler himself and planned by Heinrich Himmler, is led by ace agent Kurt Steiner and aided on the ground by IRA gunman Liam Devlin. As the deadly duo executes Hitler’s harrowing plot, only the quiet town of Studley Constable stands in their way. Its residents are the lone souls aware of the impending Nazi plan, and they must become the most unlikely of heroes as the fate of the war hangs in the balance.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 30, 2018 |
A classic. I'm putting this on my bookshelf as it was the first adult book I read at 12 years old - I'd always seen it on my Grandad's bookshelf and wanted to read it so one long weekend, it was handed to me. I became absolutely engrossed.

It's one of those books that you can re-read every few years and still get lost in the characters and the plot; and a great introduction for anyone that isn't familiar with this author's books.

Rachel Amphlett
Author of White Gold
www.rachelamphlett.com ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
Roman ispirisan istinskim događajem iz Drugog svetskog rata i upadom nemačkih komandosa u Englesku u pokušaju da otmu Vin-stona Čerčila. Roman je poslužio kao osnova za snimanje čuvenog filma Otmica Čerčila sa ser Majkl Kejnom u glavnoj ulozi.
added by Sensei-CRS | editCentar za izučavanje tradicije - Ukronija

Higgins, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kauppi, KaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koning, DolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now the field of battle is a land of standing corpses; those determined to die will live; those who hope to escape with their lives will die.

Wu Ch'i
For my children, Sarah, Ruth, young Seán, and little Hannah, who each in their separate ways have suffered and sweated through this one, but most of all for Amy who has learned to live with that significant little click each time she lifts the telephone for more than two years now ...
Someone was digging a grave in one corner of the cemetery as I went in through the lychgate. I remember that quite clearly because it seemed to set the scene for nearly everything that followed.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,865,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible