The Eagle has Landed by Jack Higgins

The Eagle has Landed (original 1975; edition 1977)

by Jack Higgins

Member:fredalss
Title:The Eagle has Landed
Authors:Jack Higgins
Info:Pan (1977), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Fiction, mystery/crime, espionage

The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins (1975)

English (18)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (20)
So much has already been written about this book that I don't think my two cents worth will add much value. But if you want to see why Jack Higgins has become so successful this is still the right book with which to begin. ( )
  JohnJGaynard | Dec 31, 2018 |
In November of 1943, an elite team of Nazi paratroopers descends on British soil with a diabolical goal: to abduct Winston Churchill and cripple the Allied war effort. The mission, ordered by Hitler himself and planned by Heinrich Himmler, is led by ace agent Kurt Steiner and aided on the ground by IRA gunman Liam Devlin. As the deadly duo executes Hitler’s harrowing plot, only the quiet town of Studley Constable stands in their way. Its residents are the lone souls aware of the impending Nazi plan, and they must become the most unlikely of heroes as the fate of the war hangs in the balance.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 30, 2018 |
A classic. I'm putting this on my bookshelf as it was the first adult book I read at 12 years old - I'd always seen it on my Grandad's bookshelf and wanted to read it so one long weekend, it was handed to me. I became absolutely engrossed.

It's one of those books that you can re-read every few years and still get lost in the characters and the plot; and a great introduction for anyone that isn't familiar with this author's books.

Rachel Amphlett
Author of White Gold
www.rachelamphlett.com ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |
simple action - no where near the depth of a Clancy - set in WW2 ( )
  jason9292 | Dec 4, 2017 |
The entire premise of The Eagle Has Landed is based on the fact that a small group of German paratroopers had safely arrived in England and were about to do the unthinkable, they were about to kidnap Winston Churchill. If Mussolini can be rescued from an enemy hotel then surely Churchill could be taken while on a discreet "vacation."
There is so much to like about The Eagle Has Landed (code for Liam Devlin's safe drop into enemy territory). There is also so much that could potentially go wrong with Higgins's technique. First, the frame narrative is the author, Jack Higgins himself, researching a botched attempt to kidnap the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill during the final moments of World War II. Giving away the plot in the very beginning of a novel is a risky move. where is the suspense? Why read on knowing the Germans failed? Second, the majority of the story is told from the point of view of the antagonists. Why be on their side?
Why care about the enemy? Because Liam Devlin is an irresistible bad guy. You want him to succeed and you don't know why. He's a charming cad; the kind of guy everyone loves to hate. That's why. You keep reading because Higgins has spun the plot. Yes, you may know the Germans failed to kidnap Churchill but...did Devlin survive? ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jul 27, 2017 |
Roman ispirisan istinskim događajem iz Drugog svetskog rata i upadom nemačkih komandosa u Englesku u pokušaju da otmu Vin-stona Čerčila. Roman je poslužio kao osnova za snimanje čuvenog filma Otmica Čerčila sa ser Majkl Kejnom u glavnoj ulozi.
added by Sensei-CRS | editCentar za izučavanje tradicije - Ukronija

Jack Higginsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kauppi, KaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koning, DolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now the field of battle is a land of standing corpses; those determined to die will live; those who hope to escape with their lives will die.

Wu Ch'i
For my children, Sarah, Ruth, young Seán, and little Hannah, who each in their separate ways have suffered and sweated through this one, but most of all for Amy who has learned to live with that significant little click each time she lifts the telephone for more than two years now ...
Someone was digging a grave in one corner of the cemetery as I went in through the lychgate. I remember that quite clearly because it seemed to set the scene for nearly everything that followed.

Combines fact and speculation in a fictionalized reconstruction of the events leading up to and including the November 1943 mission of a small force of German paratroopers landed in Britain to capture Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,536,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible