Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational…

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior (2008)

by Ori Brafman, Rom Brafman

Recently added byKathy_Sheridan, red.merritt, birdarru, lemonpizza, TSRICAPS, private library, JorGon, danettem, kallai7, awan02
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini (espertus)
    espertus: Influence is the classic book on how people make up their minds. Sway is a lesser, but still valuable, addition to the field.

English (36)  Dutch (1)  All (37)
I'm about 1/3 through Sway. It is startling to know how we are persuaded, sometimes imperceptibly and by our own brains, to do things that are not in our best interest. ( )
  ellekayjay | Sep 19, 2016 |
Seems like the library would have this, but no. Don't pay real money, but swap or add on to fill up a half.com order would be good.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Interesting read. Some examples of testing certain theories were a little frustrating as the authors did not adequately explain HOW the researchers were able to isolate for certain factors. I was not always convinced. Still, an interesting read. Behaviors for avoiding failure verses seeking success were especially interesting. Also found it interesting to read about the fact that we tend to stick with our original decision even in the light of data which indicates a change is necessary - we often don't know when to cut our losses.
I listened to the book on tape and the reader, John Apicella was very good. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
I was very divided in my opinion about the quality of this book. On the one hand, the content is like ice cream to me. I love thinking about how I, and others, think. It also stood on solid research, was breezy, illuminating and concise. On the other hand, they could not escape the shadow of Malcolm Gladwell, aping his topics and style for the majority of the book. Also, to give examples of how men respond positively to pretty women is just plain obvious and lazy. The reader deserves more serious stuff. No question though, that I enjoyed the book, because hey, at the end of the day, I like Malcolm Gladwell and who doesn't like pretty women? ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
A short but fascinating book that delves into some of the irrationally reasoned impulses that impact human behavior. It keeps you interested with tragic stories and cross-cultural studies of such sways as "loss aversion" and "fairness". A quick read and invaluable when it comes to correcting errors in reasoning. ( )
  Juva | Mar 21, 2015 |
“Sway” moves along swiftly, with each nugget of a chapter illustrating an aspect of the authors’ premise. They use dramatic narratives like the story of an accomplished pilot who made a seemingly irrational decision that sent 584 passengers (and him) to their deaths

Ori Brafmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brafman, Rommain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Nira.
For always believing in us

A fascinating journey into the hidden psychological influences that derail our decision-making, Sway will change the way you think about the way you think.

Why is it so difficult to sell a plummeting stock or end a doomed relationship? Why do we listen to advice just because it came from someone “important”? Why are we more likely to fall in love when there’s danger involved? In Sway, renowned organizational thinker Ori Brafman and his brother, psychologist Rom Brafman, answer all these questions and more.

Drawing on cutting-edge research from the fields of social psychology, behavioral economics, and organizational behavior, Sway reveals dynamic forces that influence every aspect of our personal and business lives, including loss aversion (our tendency to go to great lengths to avoid perceived losses), the diagnosis bias (our inability to reevaluate our initial diagnosis of a person or situation), and the “chameleon effect” (our tendency to take on characteristics that have been arbitrarily assigned to us).

Sway introduces us to the Harvard Business School professor who got his students to pay $204 for a $20 bill, the head of airline safety whose disregard for his years of training led to the transformation of an entire industry, and the football coach who turned conventional strategy on its head to lead his team to victory. We also learn the curse of the NBA draft, discover why interviews are a terrible way to gauge future job performance, and go inside a session with the Supreme Court to see how the world’s most powerful justices avoid the dangers of group dynamics.

Every once in a while, a book comes along that not only challenges our views of the world but changes the way we think. In Sway, Ori and Rom Brafman not only uncover rational explanations for a wide variety of irrational behaviors but also point readers toward ways to avoid succumbing to their pull.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:58 -0400)

A journey into the hidden psychological influences that derail our decision-making. Why is it so difficult to end a doomed relationship? Why do we listen to advice just because it came from someone "important"? Why are we more likely to fall in love when there's danger involved? Here, organizational thinker Ori Brafman and his brother, psychologist Rom Brafman, answer these questions and more. Drawing on research from the fields of social psychology, behavioral economics, and organizational behavior, Sway reveals forces that influence every aspect of our personal and business lives, including loss aversion, the diagnosis bias, and the "chameleon effect." The Brafmans not only uncover rational explanations for a wide variety of irrational behaviors, but also point readers toward ways to avoid succumbing to their pull.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ori Brafman's book Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,382,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible