The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell

The Last Kingdom (2004)

by Bernard Cornwell

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (Donogh)
    Donogh: As you rooted for the British against the Saxons in Cornwell's 'The Winter King', so shall you root for the Saxons agains the Danes in Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom'
    Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    The Outlaw Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Elizabeth Chadwick strikes me as providing the female perspective on medieval England, while Bernard Cornwell provides a decidedly masculine perspective. Both authors succeed in writing highly entertaining historical fiction with a strong sense of the time period. If you like one, it's definitely worth trying the other.… (more)

English (71)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (78)
Exciting tale of Alfreds the Great. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
Great epic yet personal story. Violent clashes that feel real.

Fantastic reader. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
My first Bernard Cornwell novel! I expected a jolly romp and got that and more! There is a bit of reflection on destiny etc. in the midst of all the bloodshed... and the bloodshed is all well situated in well motivated plot... I know it would be a great read and it was! Definitely a page turner! ( )
  kukulaj | Dec 8, 2015 |
I received this book from Goodreads first-reads, thank you!

The cover edition is dedicated to the TV series which I haven't seen yet, but it does work and the story seems more personal for me. This is my first book read by the author and I am glad that I like the story so much to give fully 5 stars.

The plot is surprising with it turns and story plotline, the set is between Danish and English, aka viking time. For me it is not the very first story to be read about Vikings, but more from Scandinavian -Norwegian /Swedish aspect in history and history-fiction. The book is about a boy who nearly gets killed at the point where he has seen his father go into the battle and die, taking the sword and attacking the enemy by himself...only to face the sword given by his dad is not a real sword to fight...Luckily the destiny plays a role and the opponent doesn't kills him, instead takes him with and from then on... The little boy is about to discover what means to have a dad in nowadays interpretation, someone who shows example of caring dad, keeping family traditions and teaching him how to live within their customs, testing but awarding...Its up to a boy to grow up and take sides, up to a man to follow his heart and home and take decisions. ( )
  ilonita50 | Nov 8, 2015 |
Great romping, stomping readable historical fiction at its best.
Powerful storytelling, plenty of detail, whether correctly researched or imagined from the available evidence, and a well realised central character make this easy and fun reading. To paraphrase:
‘A skald?’ ‘A scop, you would call me. A poet, a weaver of dreams, a man who makes glory from nothing and dazzles you with its making. And my job now is to tell this day’s tale in such a way that men will never forget our great deeds.’
Great deeds indeed. ( )
  CarltonC | Oct 16, 2015 |
The Last Kingdom is for Judy, with love. Wyrd bið ful āræd.
My name is Uhtred.

In the middle years of the ninth-century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England—and the course of history—depended upon one man, one king.

From New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:07 -0400)

In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until only one realm remained. Suddenly the fate of all England--and the course of history--depended upon one man, one king.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,123,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible