The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell

The Last Kingdom (2005)

by Bernard Cornwell

Series: The Saxon Chronicles (1)

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (Donogh)
    Donogh: As you rooted for the British against the Saxons in Cornwell's 'The Winter King', so shall you root for the Saxons agains the Danes in Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom'
    Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    The Right Line Of Cerdic by Alfred Duggan (themulhern)
    themulhern: King Alfred books. But Duggan's is the drier, for sure.
    Lords of the White Castle by Elizabeth Chadwick (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Elizabeth Chadwick strikes me as providing the female perspective on medieval England, while Bernard Cornwell provides a decidedly masculine perspective. Both authors succeed in writing highly entertaining historical fiction with a strong sense of the time period. If you like one, it's definitely worth trying the other.… (more)

English (106)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (114)
Loved it! Definitely going to keep reading the series. ( )
  liz.mabry | May 13, 2019 |
This is the first book I've read/listened to by Bernard Cornwell. The reason? I'm not a great lover of "the great battle scene" and I've always felt the author would go there. Now I know for certain that he does. But...listening to battle scenes is much different to reading them. And listening to battle scenes in this story was a new experience for me. A good experience.

I enjoyed the story and the characters. I know it was based on history, how much so I don't know, but it was well written. I must admit that I found it difficult to keep track of the characters because of their strange (similar sounding) names. However, I worked out the ones that matter and became totally engrossed in the plot.

The other thing that surprised me was the realisation that I don't read many books written by men. It has never been intentional, but during this book I discovered I liked the different style of writing I found here. It's hard to explain, but for me, it was a nice change of pace. It was gritty, no holding back, masculine. Don't mess with me. Simply gripping. I will be listening too the next two books for sure. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Mar 13, 2019 |
About ten years ago, I read Stonehenge by Cornwell, and loved it. So, I was very excited to read this book. This is everything I like! The Anglo-Saxon period England and the Vikings/Danes are very fun to read about. And it is a good book with an interesting storyline, but I found myself flagging in the middle, and put it down for a while to read other things, until I told myself I could not read another book until I finished it. I was disappointed by the lack of detail. If you are going to write a series, you might as well put a lot of detail in it! I also felt like there was not a lot of character development. Brida had the potential to be a really interesting character, but then Cornwell all but wrote her out of the story! Also Uhtred bouncing back and forth, am Danish, no I’m British, but I’m still good friends with the Danes, was confusing.
When I finished to book, however, and read Cornwall’s Historical note at the end about how his ancestors held Bebbanburg and how he was trying to keep it as historically accurate as possible while still being interesting, I liked it more. I feel like he was sort of hemmed in for his story telling by the historical accuracy he has, while still being creative. I’m not sure why we don’t just have the book from Alfred’s point of view, except that having Uhtred gives us the background of the Danes invading England from a first-person perspective.
Late in the book, and Englishman asks Uhtred why he fought with the Danes, and Uhtred replies “I fought to survive” So maybe him fighting with the Danes, and then siding with the British but still being friendly with the Danes is not that he has no character development, or that he is not loyal, but he is just doing what he needs to for survival. I think real people are more likely to switch sides and be unsure of their loyalties that is sometimes portrayed in books. ( )
  renardkitsune | Jan 6, 2019 |
I absolutely LOVE anything to do with history. Especially books. So anybody who knows me will not be surprised that I found The Last Kingdom really interesting. This book is the first in a series that tells of the exciting (yes it is exciting, - sword fights and all!) of the making of England during the 9th and 10th centuries. This was a period that the Danish Vikings were attacking the English and had captured most of their kingdoms.

The author, Bernard Cornwell, was able to get the information for this series of books through his own family records. Seriously... how cool is that?!?! Netflix even made a series based on the books back in 2016! Of course I'm one of those people that has to read all the books before I can watch the show so it'll be a while before I can watch it. I can't wait though, so now I have to hurry and read the rest of the series!

If you enjoy history then I'd recommend reading this book. Cornwell does an incredible job of making what could be a dry subject (since it's from such a long time ago) be super interesting. There's sword fights, kidnappings, murders, and definitely wars - the whole book is talking about wars . During the narrative, everything is explained from the perspective of a young man (he grows from a boy to a teenager in the book) named Uhtred, who is fictional. ( )
  Mandy.Rasmussen | Dec 10, 2018 |
what have I learned from reading this book? That historical fiction is not my jam. I couldn't shake the feeling that Cornwell was just trying to check off a list of viking names/places/events/practices to incorporate ( )
  inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |

Cornwell, Bernardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keeble, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Last Kingdom is for Judy, with love. Wyrd bið ful āræd.
My name is Uhtred.

In the middle years of the ninth-century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England—and the course of history—depended upon one man, one king.

From New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:07 -0400)

In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until only one realm remained. Suddenly the fate of all England--and the course of history--depended upon one man, one king.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,294,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible