The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell

The Last Kingdom (2004)

by Bernard Cornwell

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (Donogh)
    Donogh: As you rooted for the British against the Saxons in Cornwell's 'The Winter King', so shall you root for the Saxons agains the Danes in Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom'
    Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    The Outlaw Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Elizabeth Chadwick strikes me as providing the female perspective on medieval England, while Bernard Cornwell provides a decidedly masculine perspective. Both authors succeed in writing highly entertaining historical fiction with a strong sense of the time period. If you like one, it's definitely worth trying the other.… (more)

English (83)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Czech (1)  English (91)
Very good - enjoyed historical aspect and a good way to learn about some of these past events. TV series was good but this is much, much better. So many constant themes through history - we might consistently increase our knowledge but with each generation having to relearn the emotional side of things, we repeat the same mistakes and suffer the same consequences and horrors. ( )
  mnorfolk49 | Nov 21, 2016 |
3.5/5

Overall I enjoyed The Last Kingdom and plan to continue the series. It is hard to pinpoint exactly what lowered my rating for this book. I think it was the voice Cornwell used. Usually, first person narrative is one of my favorite voices. In this case, it left me feeling that I was watching the story unfold rather than experiencing it.

This is a great book for anyone interested in the Anglo-Saxon period, specifically the Viking invasions. I appreciated the historical content and the differences shown in the beliefs of the Pagan and Christian characters. ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Awesome! ( )
  fbswss | Jul 13, 2016 |
Great historical narrative at a crucial point in English history, the struggle between Saxon and Dane, Christianity and pagan in the 9th century.
  cryptext | Jun 18, 2016 |
I had this book on my TBR for several months but only got to it after watching the first season of the TV series on BBC. The book is a detailed account of the battle for England in the late 800s between the Danes (Vikings, Norsemen, etc) and King Albert. The story follows Uhtred Ragnarson a Saxon who was captured by the Danes when he was 10 and raised as a son by Ragnar. Uhtred struggles with his upbringing as a Dane and love for Ragnar and the love of his ancestral home Brabbenburg in Northumbria.

Note for those interested in both the TV series and the book - The first season of the TV series extends beyond Book 1. ( )
  bhabeck | Jun 5, 2016 |
The Last Kingdom is for Judy, with love. Wyrd bið ful āræd.
My name is Uhtred.

In the middle years of the ninth-century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England—and the course of history—depended upon one man, one king.

From New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:07 -0400)

In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until only one realm remained. Suddenly the fate of all England--and the course of history--depended upon one man, one king.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,696,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible