The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (Donogh)
    Donogh: As you rooted for the British against the Saxons in Cornwell's 'The Winter King', so shall you root for the Saxons agains the Danes in Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom'
    Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)
    Lords of the White Castle by Elizabeth Chadwick (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Elizabeth Chadwick strikes me as providing the female perspective on medieval England, while Bernard Cornwell provides a decidedly masculine perspective. Both authors succeed in writing highly entertaining historical fiction with a strong sense of the time period. If you like one, it's definitely worth trying the other.… (more)

English (87)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Czech (1)  All (95)
One of those instances where I enjoyed the tv series more than the book and I'll probably not be going back to the book.
Uhtred is a Saxon who is captured by a raiding party of Dances at 10, and is brought up as a Dane, he finds himself torn between the two lives and two worlds. His life takes different twists and turns and it's told by his older self.

There are very few women in the book and none of them aren't involved with the male character at some point. Scads of male background characters but this comes across as very like a lot of films.

It wasn't bad but I don't intend to read more in this series. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | May 15, 2017 |
(12) This was an unsolicited lend that I always feel obligated to read. The lender knew I had liked 'Game of Thrones' novels and Sharon Penman so thought I would enjoy. And in fact, I did. Not great literature to be sure. But engaging and a part of history I know nothing about - 800's England when the Danes (more popularly known as the Vikings) invaded and attempted to take over England from the Saxons. It is the first novel in a series that focuses on a fictional character, Uhtred - a Saxon lord's child who is spared by a Danish chieftain after a devastating battle. The historical character that is chronicled here is Alfred (?the first) King of England; who was known as Alfred the Great. This is the story of the early years.

The pages fly by. The novel is well-written enough such that the action and themes are not entirely predictable. There are some shades of grey, some ambiguity - so it is a worthy read. In my opinion, about the level of 'Outlander,' not quite as intricate as Sharon Kay Penman novels or 'Game of Thrones.' The result I think will be a engaging, escapist series that I will definitely read. ( )
  jhowell | Mar 12, 2017 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 7, 2017 |
Very good - enjoyed historical aspect and a good way to learn about some of these past events. TV series was good but this is much, much better. So many constant themes through history - we might consistently increase our knowledge but with each generation having to relearn the emotional side of things, we repeat the same mistakes and suffer the same consequences and horrors. ( )
  mnorfolk49 | Nov 21, 2016 |
This novel is the first book in Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles. The saga, based on the war between Christian Englishmen and pagan Danes in 9th-century England, follows the life of Uhtred, a valiant warrior and is rich in historical detail.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 1, 2016 |

Bernard Cornwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornwell, Bernardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
The Last Kingdom is for Judy, with love. Wyrd bið ful āræd.
My name is Uhtred.

In the middle years of the ninth-century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England—and the course of history—depended upon one man, one king.

From New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:07 -0400)

In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until only one realm remained. Suddenly the fate of all England--and the course of history--depended upon one man, one king.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,331,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible