The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell

The Last Kingdom (2004)

by Bernard Cornwell

9th century (35) adventure (14) Alfred (11) Alfred the Great (61) Anglo-Saxon (25) Britain (24) British (11) Danes (31) Dark Ages (13) ebook (29) England (110) fantasy (11) fiction (227) Great Britain (12) historical (72) historical fiction (366) historical novel (28) history (43) King Alfred (11) medieval (31) Middle Ages (15) novel (21) read (20) Saxon (15) Saxon Chronicles (20) Saxons (31) series (16) to-read (56) Vikings (120) war (21)
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell (Donogh)
    Donogh: As you rooted for the British against the Saxons in Cornwell's 'The Winter King', so shall you root for the Saxons agains the Danes in Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom'
    Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton (mcenroeucsb)

English (52)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (58)
I like this story better than the Sharpe series, and it's almost as good as his pleasant Stonehenge novel. The dispossessed Northumbrian, created, I'm sure with Sean Bean in mind, roaming the desolate landscape of England when Wessex was the last holdout against the Danes, is a fine vessel for Cornwell's ideas. It is a fine adventure novel.
It was copyright in 2005. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 28, 2014 |
This is the second time I have read The Last Kingdom and I still find it to be a great book. I think Bernard Cornwell is one of the best writers of historical novels with adventures added into the mix writing today. ( )
  Philip100 | Dec 10, 2013 |
The story opens in 866 and continues through to 877. Uhtred, the main character, is captured by a Danish invader called Ragnar. Ragnar is impressed by Uhtred's bravery, as Ragnar was a great warrior, whereas Uhtred was a ten-year-old boy who took him on in battle. Thus the English boy is raised by a Dane. He grows to love Ragnar as a father and he is in turn loved as a son.

As Uhtred grows up he learns the Danish ways and Danish language whilst remaining on occupied English soil. But as he nears manhood his natural affection for his own country becomes more prominent. He ends up torn between fighting for the Danes and fighting for the English. He appears confused as to what and who he actually is, stating at one point that he feels loyal to the last person he converses with.

This was my first sample of a Bernard Cornwell novel and I must admit I'm impressed with his writing style. He has done a great amount of research for this tome. He includes a note at the end detailing which characters were real and which events actually took place. This is the first in a series of novels and I will definitely read book two. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Dec 8, 2013 |
A jolly little viking romp, some mindless entertainment. Some nice historical details, as I would expect from Bernard Cornwell. The story is quite interesting and moves across almost the entire country as it would become. The development of the main character from a small boy to a skilled warrior was interesting to read. I expect I will read the next in this series if I find myself at a loss. ( )
  fothpaul | Nov 15, 2013 |
First class historical fiction about 9th Century England during the early days of Alfred the Great. Exceptional descriptive writing in the battle scenes. ( )
  turtlesleap | Sep 23, 2013 |
The Last Kingdom is for Judy, with love. Wyrd bið ful āræd.
My name is Uhtred.

In the middle years of the ninth-century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England—and the course of history—depended upon one man, one king.

From New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:23 -0400)

In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until only one realm remained. Suddenly the fate of all England--and the course of history--depended upon one man, one king.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,252,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible