Bash: three plays by Neil Labute

Bash: three plays (edition 1999)

by Neil Labute

Member:thebluestockings
Title:Bash: three plays
Authors:Neil Labute
Info:Overlook TP (1999), Edition: 1St Edition, Paperback, 96 pages
Tags:Play, Matt

Bash: Latterday Plays by Neil LaBute

I bought this at the first BC/EFA Broadway Flea Market I went to, in 2000. The play was new then, so I bought it with a bunch of other books for a dollar, but never read it. Or any LaBute, for that matter. Probably because I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it. Perhaps because I was worried I would?Well, no worries, nothing exciting here. The first scene was ok, though kind of elementary. I could deal with the Iphigenia metaphor. The second scene totally lost me. It was like being stuck making excruciating small talk with totally horrible rich people for half an hour. And are they talking together or separately? It goes back and forth. Does she really need to be there? Any chance they'll kick themselves in the face? Oh sorry, SPOILERS. The third is all oblique rambling. And that is about it.I don't get why all the "characters" are LDS, for no apparent reason or connection. To say what exactly? Only one of these stories is about institutionally-condoned bigotry, so as a whole it's not really about a church's warped value system. And the other two are more about their Greek allegories. So who knows. LaBute clearly thinks he is writing the edgiest junk in the world, and he wants to make you feel like you are super cool for participating. I don't find those kinds of authorial favors very interesting. ( )
  pokylittlepuppy | Feb 10, 2010 |
includes iphigenia in orem, a gaggle of saints, medea redux
  mmckay | Aug 25, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0571204910, Paperback)

A trio of brilliantly scathing plays by the renowned writer-director of In the Company of Men and Your Friends and Neighbors.

With the success of his first two films, In The Company of Men and Your Friends and Neighbors, writer-director Neil LaBute has been hailed as a first-rate dramatic talent with a caustic wit reminiscent of Stanley Kubrick. bash--a collection of three stunning one-act plays that mark LaBute's return to the New York stage after ten years--forms a trio of unforgettable personal accounts: in Medea Redux, a woman tells of her complex and ultimately tragic relationship with her grade school English teacher; in Iphigenia in Orem, a Utah businessman confides in a stranger in a Las Vegas hotel room, confessing a most chilling crime; and in A Gaggle of Saints, a young Mormon couple separately recounts the violent events of an anniversary weekend in New York City. All three are unblinking portraits of the complexities of evil in everyday life, exhibiting LaBute's signature raw lyrical intensity.

"The most important playwright to emerge in a decade."-- John Lahr, The New Yorker

"A transfixing evening."-- Ben Brantley, The New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:30 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,401,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible