Football Hero by Tim Green

Football Hero (edition 2008)

by Tim Green

Member:OldMillCenter
Title:Football Hero
Authors:Tim Green
Info:Scholastic, Paperback

Football Hero by Tim Green

Ty Lewis is just a normal kid that loves to play football. Both of his parents were killed in an accident. Ty is stuck living with his mean uncle Gus, aunt Virginia, and his cousin Charlotte. Ty is really excited when coach V, the coach of the football team, asks Ty to join the team. But, uncle Gus wont let Ty join the football team because he wants Ty to work in uncle Gus's cleaning services. Ty's older brother is in finishing college and going into the NFL. Gus starts to be nice to Ty only because he wants to get information about the football teams so that he can win gambling for fantasy football.Ty finally gets to play on the football team and on the last game makes the game winning catch to score the touchdown, of which is why he is called the football hero.

I think this was a great book. I really like sports, so it is my type of book. I think Ty has a great but tragic past because of what happened to his parents. I like how it tied in real things that would happen in a middle school kids life, like when Ty was being bullied in school. I like how it was an underdog story because Ty had never played football on an actual team and then he became the "football hero." I like how Ty wants to be like his brother and play football. I would really like to read the second book to this series. ( )
  NoahJ.B1 | Oct 22, 2013 |
Kayleb, He hit me with a fork. ( )
  JaHo11 | May 2, 2011 |
First, I have to tell the truth here: I am not a football fan. At all. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not against the sport or anything, I'm just not this sporty girl that can sit around and watch football (or any sports for that matter) all day. Going to games can be fun because I like the community and the spirit and the excitement. Do I know what's really going on? Er, not so much. With that truth kinda being out there, I would never have picked this book up except I wanted to do a book talk on a novel that I thought would gain interest from my boy students.

Ty is a high school freshman and his life could not be more upside down. His parents died in a tragic accident so he's now living with his Uncle Gus, Aunt Virginia, and cousin Charlotte. Uncle Gus is a lazy entrepreneur who cleans businesses for a living. Or rather, he claims that he does. In reality, Uncle Gus "teaches the work ethic" to Ty and Charlotte. Yup. After long days at school they must work in the family business.

At school the Coach notices his speed and wants him to play on the team. Ty can't help but be really excited. He doesn't talk about it much but his brother is Thane, aka Tiger, of Syracuse. Ty doesn't get to see Thane that much but he adores his brother and totally wishes to emulate him. Well, of course Uncle Gus won't let Ty play football; it conflicts with the work schedule. Ty is bummed.

Until...one of Uncle Gus's clients - Lucy - finds out that Ty is related to Thane. Lucy is in with the mafia and he figures this is the perfect opportunity to make some big bucks betting on the games. He uses Ty's relationship with Thane to find out who's injured and who's bluffing. Poor Ty is caught in the middle of this mind boggling drama about what it means to be family.

I admit it, I kinda dug this book. Sure, there were plenty of times when I was all, "you've got to be kidding me!" because what happened in the story just didn't seem all likely to play out like that in real life. but it was still a good story and I think that most kids will like it.

Oh, and as for the football stuff ('cuz the book was written by a football player), yah, there was talk about plays, etc., and I admit, I had no idea what they were talking about. But it wasn't enough to take away from the story for me (someone ignorant of the game) and I think that it will definitely add to the story for those football fanatics. ( )
  readingthruthenight | Mar 25, 2011 |
Football Hero Review
Football Hero, is about a kid who lives in a poor neighborhood and wants a career in football instead of working in a dirty store with his Dad.
Tim wants to play football but his Dad wants him to have a job early. Tim’s brother is a professional football player; obviously he wants to be like his brother.
There are questions that will be answered during this book. Why is his dad so mean to him? Will Tim go to the NFL? Will Tim move in with his brother? ( )
  JaHop11 | Feb 14, 2011 |
Football Hero is a story about a boy who loves to play football. One day a big game comes up and he needs to be ready for it. When the ball is hiked he runs out and makes a game winning play. That is why in the book he is called a football hero. I thought this was a good book to read, and was very interesting. Not just a boring book, there was more action to it. ( )
  isaac.dorado | Nov 3, 2010 |

Ty Lewis can't believe it when Coach V recruits him for the football team. This is Ty's big chance to prove how fast he is on the field, get a fresh start in a new school, and be like his older brother, Thane "Tiger" Lewis, who's about to graduate from college—and is being courted by the NFL.

But Ty's guardian, Uncle Gus, won't let him play. Uncle Gus needs Ty to scrub floors and toilets for his cleaning business while he cooks up gambling schemes with the local mob boss, a man called "Lucy."

When Lucy hears just how famous Ty's older brother is, he becomes suddenly friendly. Are the questions Lucy is asking Ty really about fantasy football . . . or is the Mafia using Ty to get valuable insider info from his superstar brother? Desperately worried, Ty must come up with a plan to save Thane's football career—and, ultimately, his life.

Author of the New York Times bestselling Football Genius, former NFL player Tim Green will have you on the edge of your seat rooting for Ty—and enjoying an up-close look at what it's like to be inside the NFL.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:36 -0400)

When twelve-year-old Ty's brother Thane is recruited out of college to play for the New York Jets, their Uncle Gus uses Ty to get insider information for his gambling ring, landing Ty and Thane in trouble with the Mafia.

5 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,237,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible