We were Soldiers Once...And Young: Ia…

We were Soldiers Once...And Young: Ia Drang--The Battle That Changed The… (original 1993; edition 1992)

by Harold G. Moore

Member:DeSelby
Title:We were Soldiers Once...And Young: Ia Drang--The Battle That Changed The War In Vietnam
Authors:Harold G. Moore
Info:Random House (1992), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 432 pages
Tags:history, American history

We Were Soldiers Once... and Young: Ia Drang--The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam by Harold G. Moore (1993)

The Prince by Jerry Pournelle (bespen, bespen)
    bespen: Pournelle and Stiring's work of fiction covers the same ground of small unit tactics and the ties that men form under combat as Moore and Galloway's classic.
    A P.O.W.'s Story: 2801 Days In by Col. Larry Guarino (gtown)

We Were Soldiers Once And Young: Ia Drang - The Battle That Changed The War In Vietnam

"We went to war because our country asked us to go,
because our new President, Lyndon B. Johnson, ordered us to go,
but more importantly because we saw it as our duty to go."

n November 1965, some 450 men of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, under the command of Lt. Col. Hal Moore, were dropped by helicopter into l clearing in the Ia Drang Valley.
They were immediately surrounded by 2,000 North Vietnamese soldiers.
A few miles away, a sister battalion was chopped to pieces.
The conflict at the landing zones of X Ray and Albany are viewed as significant, savage and one of the most violent battles in American history.

Lt Col Moore has promised his soldiers and their families
"I will leave no man behind...dead or alive. We will all come home together"

Detailed...realistic...valor... courage...and so much more as the brotherhood of soldiers persevered and sacrificed

Chronicled by retired lieutenant general Hal Moore and Joseph Galloway, the only journalist on the ground throughout the fighting.

"A picture of men facing the ultimate challenge, dealing with it in ways they would have found unimaginable only a few hours earlier"

(1992)

5* for excellence

The drama and impact of this military event far exceed any words I can lay on paper. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |
Definitely an engaging read. Hal Moore takes us into the jungle along with the soldiers through the meatgrinder. A fascinating and horrifying story. ( )
  rockinghorsedreams | Nov 13, 2014 |
Gung-HO!!!!! Unfortunate attempt to turn Vietnam War into a noble symmetrical confrontation between equals. Part of the revisionist treatment of history of Vietnam War begun in recent decades. This type of combat ( symmetrical ) was the exception in Vietnam. Most of combat in that war was search and destroy patrols which massacred 100,000's of civilians. Many men in these same units were participants of routine atrocities. Epitomises everything wrong with books about war. Guess I have just outgrown this sort of stuff...
1 vote | clarkland | Feb 24, 2013 |
I can't fault the intentions of the authors to honor the sacrifices on both sides of this battle, nor their evident dedication to get the facts right. There's a blurb in the back from General Norman Schwarzkopf recommending the book as a corrective to those who view warfare as a video game. If I were a military professional I'd certainly consider this invaluable. But despite the fact this was a bestseller, I don't see this as a book to interest a general reader not particularly fascinated by military stories or the Vietnam War. It doesn't have the intensity and feeling of immediacy of Mark Bowden's Black Hawk Down. To anyone considering joining the armed forces--or any citizen wanting to get a sense that warfare isn't a video game--well I'd recommend either the book or film of Black Hawk Down. I'm sure it helps that the Battle of Mogadishu it depicts happened in the age of video and audio recording, with media rolling the cameras and with Bowden able to get very fresh impressions of the encounter from all sides--the book came out only six years after the battle. We Were Soldiers Once which tells of the Battle of Ia Drang in Vietnam in 1965 was written in 1992--decades later. Nevertheless, Stephen Ambrose in his works about World War II (Bands of Brothers among others) manages to be engrossing, insightful and moving. So does Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels about the Battle of Gettysburg during the American Civil War--written over a century later. Harold G. Moore actually commanded a battalion in the field in Ia Drang. His author Joseph L. Galloway, a war correspondent, was there too. But they simply aren't comparable as writers to Bowden, Ambrose or Shaara. Too dry, too technical--the kind of book that makes your eyes glaze over and is a slog to read. ( )
1 vote LisaMaria_C | May 28, 2012 |
So sad ( )
  carterchristian1 | Feb 25, 2012 |

Harold G. Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galloway, Joseph L.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679411585, Hardcover)

In the first significant engagement between American troops and the Viet Cong, 450 U.S. soldiers found themselves surrounded and outnumbered by their enemy. This book tells the story of how they battled between October 23 and November 26, 1965. Its prose is gritty, not artful, delivering a powerful punch of here-and-now descriptions that could only have been written by people actually on the scene. In fact, they were: Harold Moore commanded the men of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, who did most of the fighting, and Joseph Galloway was the only reporter present throughout the battle's 34 harrowing days. We Were Soldiers Once... combines their memories with more than 100 in-depth interviews with survivors on both sides. The Battle of Ia Drang also highlights a technological advance that would play an enormous role in the rest of the war: this was perhaps the first place where helicopter-based, air-mobile operations demonstrated their combat potential. At bottom, however, this is a tale of heroes and heroism, some acts writ large, others probably forgotten but for this telling. It was a bestseller when first published, and remains one of the better books available on combat during the Vietnam War. --John J. Miller

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:40 -0400)

In November 1965, some 450 men of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, under the command of Lt. Col. Hal Moore, were dropped by helicopter into a small clearing in the Ia Drang Valley. They were immediately surrounded by 2,000 North Vietnamese soldiers. Three days later, only two and a half miles away, a sister battalion was chopped to pieces. Together, these actions at the landing zones X-Ray and Albany constituted one of the most savage and significant battles of the Vietnam War. How these men persevered--sacrificed themselves for their comrades and never gave up--makes a vivid portrait of war at its most inspiring and devastating. General Moore and Joseph Galloway, the only journalist on the ground throughout the fighting, have interviewed hundreds of men who fought there, including the North Vietnamese commanders. This devastating account rises above the specific ordeal it chronicles to present a picture of men facing the ultimate challenge, dealing with it in ways they would have found unimaginable only a few hours earlier.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,073,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible