We were Soldiers Once...And Young: Ia…

We were Soldiers Once...And Young: Ia Drang--The Battle That Changed The… (original 1993; edition 1992)

by Harold G. Moore

Member:DeSelby
Title:We were Soldiers Once...And Young: Ia Drang--The Battle That Changed The War In Vietnam
Authors:Harold G. Moore
Info:Random House (1992), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 432 pages
Tags:history, American history

We Were Soldiers Once...and Young by Harold G. Moore (1993)

The Prince by Jerry Pournelle (bespen, bespen)
    bespen: Pournelle and Stiring's work of fiction covers the same ground of small unit tactics and the ties that men form under combat as Moore and Galloway's classic.
    A P.O.W.'s Story: 2801 Days In by Col. Larry Guarino (gtown)

Una visione assolutamente retorica, non una parola sui motivi, sulle cause, solo la frattura (non) insanabile fra chi protestava nei campus e chi era sul camp di guerra, la descrizione minuta di una battaglia ma della guerra si parla poco. ( )
  Edoxide | Apr 6, 2016 |
Engrossing tale of the first big battles in Vietnam fought by the 7th Calvary Division. The first was a resounding victory. The second was an inconclusive bloody draw due to mistakes by Colonel Mcdade. One grunt said my company lost 102 and they lost 104 so I guess it was a victory. It was astonishing how the North Vietnamese were able to fight toe to toe with the American Army despite the American superiority in firepower. They cleverly used the jungle and the sanctuaries in Cambodia to their advantage. General Moore who co-authored this book with journalist Galloway comes across as a brilliant military leader. As one soldier said if had not been for then Colonel Moore none of us would have survived the battles in the Ia Drang Valley. The book is enhanced by interviews with the main Vietnamese commanders faced by the Americans. During these flights they delivered much needed supplies while evacuating wounded soldiers. The fighting at Ia Drang set the tone for the conflict as American forces continued to rely on air mobility and heavy fire support to achieve victory. Conversely, the North Vietnamese learned that the latter could be neutralized by quickly closing with the enemy and fighting at close range. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
We Were Soldiers Once And Young: Ia Drang - The Battle That Changed The War In Vietnam

"We went to war because our country asked us to go,
because our new President, Lyndon B. Johnson, ordered us to go,
but more importantly because we saw it as our duty to go."

n November 1965, some 450 men of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, under the command of Lt. Col. Hal Moore, were dropped by helicopter into l clearing in the Ia Drang Valley.
They were immediately surrounded by 2,000 North Vietnamese soldiers.
A few miles away, a sister battalion was chopped to pieces.
The conflict at the landing zones of X Ray and Albany are viewed as significant, savage and one of the most violent battles in American history.

Lt Col Moore has promised his soldiers and their families
"I will leave no man behind...dead or alive. We will all come home together"

Detailed...realistic...valor... courage...and so much more as the brotherhood of soldiers persevered and sacrificed

Chronicled by retired lieutenant general Hal Moore and Joseph Galloway, the only journalist on the ground throughout the fighting.

"A picture of men facing the ultimate challenge, dealing with it in ways they would have found unimaginable only a few hours earlier"

(1992)

5* for excellence

The drama and impact of this military event far exceed any words I can lay on paper. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 22, 2016 |

"We went to war because our country asked us to go,
because our new President, Lyndon B. Johnson, ordered us to go,
but more importantly because we saw it as our duty to go."

They were immediately surrounded by 2,000 North Vietnamese soldiers.
A few miles away, a sister battalion was chopped to pieces.

Lt Col Moore has promised his soldiers and their families
"I will leave no man behind...dead or alive. We will all come home together"

(1992)

5* for excellence

pennsylady | Jan 14, 2015 |
Definitely an engaging read. Hal Moore takes us into the jungle along with the soldiers through the meatgrinder. A fascinating and horrifying story. ( )
  rockinghorsedreams | Nov 13, 2014 |

Harold G. Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galloway, Joseph L.main authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679411585, Hardcover)

In the first significant engagement between American troops and the Viet Cong, 450 U.S. soldiers found themselves surrounded and outnumbered by their enemy. This book tells the story of how they battled between October 23 and November 26, 1965. Its prose is gritty, not artful, delivering a powerful punch of here-and-now descriptions that could only have been written by people actually on the scene. In fact, they were: Harold Moore commanded the men of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, who did most of the fighting, and Joseph Galloway was the only reporter present throughout the battle's 34 harrowing days. We Were Soldiers Once... combines their memories with more than 100 in-depth interviews with survivors on both sides. The Battle of Ia Drang also highlights a technological advance that would play an enormous role in the rest of the war: this was perhaps the first place where helicopter-based, air-mobile operations demonstrated their combat potential. At bottom, however, this is a tale of heroes and heroism, some acts writ large, others probably forgotten but for this telling. It was a bestseller when first published, and remains one of the better books available on combat during the Vietnam War. --John J. Miller

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:46 -0400)

In November 1965, some 450 men of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, under the command of Lt. Col. Hal Moore, were dropped by helicopter into a small clearing in the Ia Drang Valley. They were immediately surrounded by 2,000 North Vietnamese soldiers. Three days later, only two and a half miles away, a sister battalion was chopped to pieces. Together, these actions at the landing zones X-Ray and Albany constituted one of the most savage and significant battles of the Vietnam War. How these men persevered--sacrificed themselves for their comrades and never gave up--makes a vivid portrait of war at its most inspiring and devastating. General Moore and Joseph Galloway, the only journalist on the ground throughout the fighting, have interviewed hundreds of men who fought there, including the North Vietnamese commanders. This devastating account rises above the specific ordeal it chronicles to present a picture of men facing the ultimate challenge, dealing with it in ways they would have found unimaginable only a few hours earlier.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible