Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Everything to Spend the Night From A to Z by…

Everything to Spend the Night From A to Z

by Ann Whitford Paul

The main idea of this book is to tell a loving story about all the things a little girl brings when she sleeps over her grandpas for them to do together but in the end forgets her pjs so her grandpa lets her borrow his. I liked this story because of how easily the language flowed through a rhyming pattern while also progressing through the alphabet. For example the author writes, "Are you ready for the best? This Key is to my treasure chest. Turn the Lock. Coins to eat! Now it's time for dancing feet." The rhymes make the story easy to read while also reviewing the alphabet. Following that, another reason I liked this book was the illustrations, in that example the font and color of the "K" in 'key' and the 'L' in 'lock' are bigger and a different color than the rest of the black letters, highlighting the correct order of the alphabet. Also on every page there is a picture matching what is happening in the story. For example when she is playing with her drums there is illustrations of her hitting her drums underneath. Below that on the same page, the main character demands, "Step high, Grandpa! March around." and underneath is an illustration of her and her grandpa marching behind one another. ( )
  JamieLewis | Sep 28, 2014 |
The little girl in this story is thrilled to be spending the night with her Grandpa, and she’s brought along her overnight bag with everything that they will need for their visit together. And as it happens, she’s brought them all in alphabetical order, from apples to the key to her treasure chest to the zipper on her pajamas. It’s quite a busy evening for her playful and patient grandpa and his black-and-white cat as they try to keep up with her.

The busy illustrations perfectly portray a hyper-kinetic youngster as she rushes from activity to activity while her increasingly worn grandpa steers her towards bedtime. By the end of the day, even the cat is exhausted! But when it’s finally time to go to bed, she discovers that there is one thing she’s forgotten after all, but fortunately grandpa is there to come to her rescue. This is a charming book that will strike an instantly familiar chord with anyone who’s ever taken care of an energetic young child, and a painless way to practice the alphabet with children as well. Review by Book Dads ( )
  bookdads | Sep 20, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0789481863, Paperback)

You never know what you're going to need to pack when you're spending the night at Grandpa's house. The little red-haired girl in this exuberant, rhyming story needs quite a bit of this and that, from apples to the zipper on her overnight bag, and everything in between. "'Here's my Quilt. / I drape it down / and cut gold paper / into crowns. / Ta-daaaaaa! I'm Queen. / ...and you're my king. / I even brought a royal Ring,'" she pronounces, as Grandpa humors her with a deep bow. This all-day, nonstop grandpa-granddaughter party bounds along at a breakneck pace as she breaks out the drums, earmuffs, feather, gum, hairbrush, inchworm, jigsaw puzzle, and more: "My Music box will play the song. / Let's twirl and spin / and sing along. / I'm not tired, Grandpa. See! / I packed more / things for you and me." She thoroughly exhausts Grandpa and the black-and-white cat (whose antics are hysterical to watch throughout the day's shenanigans), but they are both very good sports--even when it turns out that, after all that packing, their little Queen forgot her pajamas. (Ages 3 to 7) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:34 -0400)

While showing her grandfather all the things, from A to Z, that she has brought with her to spend the night, a little girl suddenly realizes that she forgot one important item.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,507,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible