Renascense and Other Poems by Edna St.…

Renascense and Other Poems (1917)

by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I don't know why I bought this book years ago. Maybe because I'd heard the name Edna St. Vincent Millay, and yet had never read or heard a single one of her poems. While skimming through "Books of the Century," this title caught my eye and I remembered that I had "Renascence and Other Poems" somewhere among the thousands of books on my shelves. After some searching it appeared, paper slightly yellowing (it is a $1 Dover edition), I sat down and read the poems--on some I lingered, others were quickly digested.

The general themes are: Death, Loss, Nature. Poetry is a crapshoot for me--either I like a poem immensely, feel it as a tangible thing or I don't get it. That is, I understand the words, even the images, maybe even the idea, but just don't feel what is so special about a particular poem. So with this collection--some of the poems resonated as an auditory, visual and emotional thing, others...were just there. At first I thought, "OK, now I've read these poems, I can donate the book and free up some shelf space", but now, the next day, I feel a need to hold on to the book and delve back into the poems that lingered in my subconscience, like a memory vague, but compelling. ( )
  Marse | Feb 7, 2015 |
Title poem plus 22 other works: "Interim," "Sorrow," "Ashes of Life," "Three Songs of Shattering," other poems revealing lyric beauty, romanticism. Lists of titles and first lines.
  BlessedHopeAcademy | Jul 27, 2013 |
I'm not as fond of this early collection of Millay's poems as I am of some of her later work. Millay has a sentimentalist streak. I like her better when she's being sassy and coy about her sex life. ( )
  aulsmith | Apr 22, 2013 |
The only poem in here that I liked was "Afternoon on a Hill". I am, though, willing to admit that as my problem, not history's or literature's. I have no real taste for poetry and have had little training in it's appreciation. I therefore think that poets "do go on a lot". Perhaps that's why the succinctness of "Afternoon on a hill" painted a really good picture for me. ( )
  gmillar | Jan 18, 2011 |
What an awesome range of poetics and understanding. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Dec 4, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 048626873X, Paperback)

Treasury of 23 works by American poet renowned for the lyric beauty of her early works. In addition to the title poem, this collection includes "Interim," "Sorrow," "Ashes of Life," "Three Songs of Shattering," "The Dream," "When the Year Grows Old," and others, including 6 sonnets. Alphabetical lists of titles and first lines.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

Legacy Library: Edna St. Vincent Millay

Edna St. Vincent Millay has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Edna St. Vincent Millay's legacy profile.

See Edna St. Vincent Millay's author page.

4 wanted4 free
1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible