Renascense and Other Poems by Edna St.…

Renascense and Other Poems (1917)

by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Sometimes - at first - I was unsure about the very obvious rhyme scheme. But the power of the words overcame that. In the title poem especially: such an amazing vision of transcendence, and from a 20 year old(?!)
And she sounds so alive (even when she writes of death). As if this were about her:
never shall one room contain me quite
Who in so many rooms first saw the light
[Sonnet IV]

Sometimes there were a lot of very well-used nature subjects, still well done though. And just when I thought there were too many she would get me with something wonderful, like this which made me laugh with tears in my eyes:
And entering with relief some quiet place
Where never fell his foot or shone his face
I say, "There is no memory of him here!"
And so stand stricken, so remembering him!
[Sonnet II]

Other favourites included 'Bluebeard', 'Interim', 'When the Year Grows Old'.
And 'Witch-Wife', the one with the line "She has more hair than she needs" is in this collection too. (It is very lovely.)

I really don't know why I haven't read Millay before, or about her interesting life; though when I last read a lot of poetry I was at school and the anthologies I tended to start from were always very British.

Read 3 June 2013. ( )
  antonomasia | Aug 15, 2013 |
Title poem plus 22 other works: "Interim," "Sorrow," "Ashes of Life," "Three Songs of Shattering," other poems revealing lyric beauty, romanticism. Lists of titles and first lines.
  BlessedHopeAcademy | Jul 27, 2013 |
I'm not as fond of this early collection of Millay's poems as I am of some of her later work. Millay has a sentimentalist streak which I am not fond of. I like her better when she's being sassy and coy about her sex life. ( )
  aulsmith | Apr 22, 2013 |
The only poem in here that I liked was "Afternoon on a Hill". I am, though, willing to admit that as my problem, not history's or literature's. I have no real taste for poetry and have had little training in it's appreciation. I therefore think that poets "do go on a lot". Perhaps that's why the succinctness of "Afternoon on a hill" painted a really good picture for me. ( )
  gmillar | Jan 18, 2011 |
What an awesome range of poetics and understanding. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Dec 4, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 048626873X, Paperback)

Treasury of 23 works by American poet renowned for the lyric beauty of her early works. In addition to the title poem, this collection includes "Interim," "Sorrow," "Ashes of Life," "Three Songs of Shattering," "The Dream," "When the Year Grows Old," and others, including 6 sonnets. Alphabetical lists of titles and first lines.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,637,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible