Contest by Matthew Reilly

Contest (original 1996; edition 2001)

by Matthew Reilly

Member:adpaton
Title:Contest
Authors:Matthew Reilly
Info:Pan Books (2001), Paperback, 763 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, 20th Century, Australia, Thriller, Action, Adventure, Aliens, Libraries, Science Fiction, Blood Sport, Galactic Contest, Killers, Suspense

Contest by Matthew Reilly (1996)

English (24)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (25)
Wow amazing! This was my first Reilly book and I LOVED it! I read the entire book in just a couple hours I was so engrossed! Ever since I read Preston & Child's individual and collaborative books Ive been looking for an author that writes similar to their style & havent yet found one until Reilly. So Im excited I cant wait to read the rest of his works! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Reilly's first book (written not released) and I feel like it shows. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 14, 2016 |
If you want a book full of rip-roaring excitement and nail-biting adventure, you can't go past Matthew Reilly. Even though "Contest' is obviously his first book, it is still a great read and I liked the setting for all this action - the New York State Library. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
A man and his daughter are drawn into a battle to the death called the Presidium. Seven life forms from different galaxies come together once every thousand years to determine superiority. This year’s labyrinth of choice is the New York Public Library. Human’s are the only representatives not aware of this ongoing “contest” and are the only species drawn into the event without consent. Of course, no human has ever won. Enter Dr. Steven Swain and his daughter (via teleportation of course) and the contest is on. Oh – did I forget to mention that there is a big, bad monster that has to be defeated at the end and some annoying interference from NSA?
This was another entertaining book from Mr. Reilly. It is his first novel (originally self published), so a little less intense than the Jack West series. I liked it for that reason. The style of this book also seems to foreshadow some of the author’s favourite elements used in the Jack West series. (Spoiler alert - Many book lovers will cringe at the destruction of the landmark and its contents … I did … but what does one expect when pesky aliens are involved)
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Do I dare/Disturb the universe? - TS Eliot
For Mum and Dad
Mike Fraser pressed himself flat against the black wall of the tunnel.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312990049, Mass Market Paperback)

THE CONTEST: YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE COME TRUE

Dr. Stephen Swain has found himself locked in the after-hours darkness of the New York Public Library. It isn't a mistake. He's been entombed in the historic sanctuary for a reason--as the guest of an unknown host, chosen for a night of fun and games. He's unprepared. He's afraid. And he's not alone.

Six other contestants roam the black halls, room by room, floor by floor, in the dead silence. Each strapped with an explosive set to detonate should they escape before the night is over. The terms are simple: seven players enter--only one will leave.

Now Swain must navigate the labyrinth to outwit the unknown moves of his mysterious opponents, and to outlast the unimaginable dangers that await him. Against insurmountable odds the contest has begun. Should he win, the greatest, most unfathomable terror lies at the night's end: the very reason behind the game…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

The New York State Library: one hundred years old, a silent sanctuary of knowledge; a dark labyrinth of towering bookcases, narrow isles and spiralling staircases. For Doctor Stephen Swain, it is the site of a nightmare. With his eight-year-old daughter, Holly, he has been summoned to the library for a terrifying battle - a contest.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,243,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible