Contest by Matthew Reilly

Contest (original 1996; edition 2001)

by Matthew Reilly

Member:adpaton
Title:Contest
Authors:Matthew Reilly
Info:Pan Books (2001), Paperback, 763 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, 20th Century, Australia, Thriller, Action, Adventure, Aliens, Libraries, Science Fiction, Blood Sport, Galactic Contest, Killers, Suspense

Contest by Matthew Reilly (1996)

Recently added byBookHavenAZ, dbaxter06, Ken-Mason-Jr, DeeannJones, private library, EadieB, margx7, 4004lab, Nappa89

English (25)  Hungarian (1)  English (26)
Book Description
The New York Public Library. A silent sanctuary of knowledge; a 100-year-old labyrinth of towering bookcases, narrow aisles and long marble hallways. For Doctor Stephen Swain and his daughter, Holly, it is the site of a nightmare. Because for one night this historic building is to be the venue for a contest. A contest in which Swain is to compete - whether he likes it or not.

The rules are simple: Seven contestants will enter, only one will leave.

With his daughter in his arms, Stephen Swain is plunged into a terrifying fight for survival. The stakes are high, the odds brutal. He can choose to run, to hide or to fight - but if he wants to live, he has to win. For in this contest, unless you leave as the victor, you do not leave at all.

Readers all over the world have been cheering about Matthew Reilly’s lightning fast adventure thrillers. Contest, the action-packed extravaganza that launched this international bestselling career, is vintage Reilly at his explosive best.

My Review
I really enjoyed reading this book as I visited the New York Public Library last December during a charity event I was attending. The building is a wonderful site to set an adventure thriller story in and Matthew Reilly has taken advantage of that. This story has it all - aliens, monsters, adventure, mystery and very unique characters. The plot is an exciting contest and the losers die so that kept the pages turner all the way through. This is an excellent debut novel and makes you want to read more from this talented author. I have read his Jack West Junior trilogy and liked it very much. I do look forward to reading some other novels by Reilly and I would highly recommend this book to those who love adventure thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 3, 2016 |
Wow amazing! This was my first Reilly book and I LOVED it! I read the entire book in just a couple hours I was so engrossed! Ever since I read Preston & Child's individual and collaborative books Ive been looking for an author that writes similar to their style & havent yet found one until Reilly. So Im excited I cant wait to read the rest of his works! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Reilly's first book (written not released) and I feel like it shows. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 14, 2016 |
If you want a book full of rip-roaring excitement and nail-biting adventure, you can't go past Matthew Reilly. Even though "Contest' is obviously his first book, it is still a great read and I liked the setting for all this action - the New York State Library. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Do I dare/Disturb the universe? - TS Eliot
For Mum and Dad
Mike Fraser pressed himself flat against the black wall of the tunnel.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312990049, Mass Market Paperback)

THE CONTEST: YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE COME TRUE

Dr. Stephen Swain has found himself locked in the after-hours darkness of the New York Public Library. It isn't a mistake. He's been entombed in the historic sanctuary for a reason--as the guest of an unknown host, chosen for a night of fun and games. He's unprepared. He's afraid. And he's not alone.

Six other contestants roam the black halls, room by room, floor by floor, in the dead silence. Each strapped with an explosive set to detonate should they escape before the night is over. The terms are simple: seven players enter--only one will leave.

Now Swain must navigate the labyrinth to outwit the unknown moves of his mysterious opponents, and to outlast the unimaginable dangers that await him. Against insurmountable odds the contest has begun. Should he win, the greatest, most unfathomable terror lies at the night's end: the very reason behind the game…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

The New York State Library: one hundred years old, a silent sanctuary of knowledge; a dark labyrinth of towering bookcases, narrow isles and spiralling staircases. For Doctor Stephen Swain, it is the site of a nightmare. With his eight-year-old daughter, Holly, he has been summoned to the library for a terrifying battle - a contest.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,635,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible