Dead Even by Brad Meltzer

Authors:Brad Meltzer
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:Fiction, 2012

Dead Even by Brad Meltzer

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
I'm not much on leagal thrillers, however, i really like this one. Sara is the prosecutor and her husband, Jarad, is the defense attorney. Recipe for disaster right there! You couldn't really decided who to root for, the husband or the wife, you felt bad for both sides. Great fast paced book, can't wait to read more from Meltzer! ( )
  TheKnittedSheep | Dec 11, 2012 |
(This is a review of the 13 disc CD version.) Took this with us to pass the time on a long 1500 mile car trek. A legal thriller, it was a choice appealing to all of the car's occupants. The narrator was excellent. Would have loved to rank the book higher. But there were too many unintentionally hilarious moments where we found ourselves laughing at the ridiculousness of the main characters' behavior. The plot device (wife prosecutor v. husband defense attorney) was strained and both characters' angst overwrought and leaving us feeling less than sympathetic to their woes. Meltzer's pacing is great and he definitely held our interest. Other reviewers feel this is a lesser work compared to other books. Based on this, I'll definitely read more from Melzer. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Dec 9, 2010 |
Husband-wife attorney's oppose each other in this suspenseful drama. ( )
  LivelyLady | Feb 6, 2010 |
I like this author. He is not a formula writer like Grisham. Good fast-paced storyline. ( )
  Djupstrom | Apr 21, 2008 |
I found 'Dead Even' quite the opposite - rather lumpy in fact. I found it hard to believe that once it became clear that the case in question was more than a simple burglary, that husband and wife lawyers would still be allowed to face each other across the courtroom. New prosecutor Sarah, who was the most interesting character, appeared to have amazing luck, picking up a seasoned assistant and one of the department's best as a mentor within the first day or so at her new job. However hubby Jared was so wet - it must have been a case of opposites attract. Most of the dialogue was awfully corny, yet I did enjoy the plot for the most part. ( )
  gaskella | Sep 13, 2006 |
For Cori,
who couldn't possibly mean more to me
because she already means everything

And for my parents,
who showered me with love,
taught me how to laugh,
and always let me dream
"What if it's a disaster?" Sara asked as she got into bed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446607339, Mass Market Paperback)

Sara Tate starts her job as a New York City assistant district attorney the day before massive budget cuts. To keep her job, she grabs a case slated for one of the DA office's hot shots, thinking it will be the kind of showpiece that'll make her a hero. The next day, she learns that the defense attorney on the case is her husband, Jared Lynch. To make matters worse, what appeared to be a simple breaking and entering is beginning to look more like a murder.

Someone is pitting Sara and Jared against each other and both are being threatened: win the case or your spouse dies. Sara and Jared have struggled and suffered more than your ordinary young lawyers and their desperation to protect one another and their life together is almost palpable. But the more they fight to win the case, the more they put each other's lives in jeopardy.

Dead Even is truly gripping. Brad Meltzer has created characters that are realistic enough to be believable, but quirky enough to be captivating. The lawyers are especially determined and the criminals are especially sinister. Even more impressive than his characters is his don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-something plot, which grabs you on page one and doesn't let go until you close the cover. When reading Dead Even, you may find yourself holding your breath as you furiously turn the pages. It's a legal thriller that gives Grisham's books a run for their money. -- Mara Friedman

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:30 -0400)

Lawyer Jared Lynch of New York is warned he will be killed if he fails to successfully defend his client, a criminal. Lynch could ask his wife to lose--she is the prosecutor in the case--but professional pride prevents him and he says nothing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,318,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible