De Hades factor by Robert Ludlum

De Hades factor (original 2000; edition 2010)

by Robert Ludlum, Gayle Lynds, Joy De Wit

Member:johanjazz
Title:De Hades factor
Authors:Robert Ludlum
Other authors:Gayle Lynds, Joy De Wit
Info:Amsterdam Luitingh-Sijthoff cop. 2010

The Hades Factor by Robert Ludlum (2000)

Recently added byprivate library, viral_sheth, pmorris, rbtullis, BunnyCates, coku, Graeme1988, bmaples, grownsync

English (9)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (12)
Finished reading this book in nearly one day. It had all the infredient for a good thriller: suspence, action, fear, several story threads.
It did feel quite familiar though, but I was sure that I had not read this book before. A bit of digging in the www learned, that I've seen the movie too. The book was better ;-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jul 16, 2015 |
SUMMARY:
An unknown doomsday virus has claimed the lives of four people - including the fiancee of Covert One's Lt. Col. Jon Smith. Devastated and enraged, Smith uncovers evidence that this was no accident; someone out there has the virus and the pandemic that threatens millions of lives was planned...Not knowing who to trust or where to turn, Smith assembles a private team to fight against the deadly virus. As the death toll mounts, the quest leads them to the highest levels of power and the darkest corners of the earth. And Smith and his team must hunt down a genius determined to destroy them.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
I was so-so on the other Ludlum book I read titled "The Sigma Protocol". This book was lying around and I decided to try it and I am glad I did.

Contrary to the other book The Hades Factor is more of a mystery than a killing feast. In fact Ludlum goes out of his way to avoid killing scenes though it does not lack for action or suspense.

This is the first of a series of novels under the umbrella "Covert-One". I will certainly be on the lookout for more of this series. I loved the characters especially Marty the computer genius, Jon, Randi and others are equally well developed.

The reason for the 1/2 star deduction was simply the constant reference by Jon to the loss of his wife in the story. It got boring after a while to me...that is the only flaw in the story as I see it. ( )
  Lynxear | Jan 30, 2013 |
An enjoyable action-adventure read and the first of the Covert-One Novels. I've read others, so it was interesting to go back to the beginning when Jon and Randi first met.

As with all of these books -- it is truly amazing how quickly the other side totally deduces the others plans and intentions. For that reason they should be called the Covert-Sherlock Novels. Just like Clive Cussler's novels there is no predicament that is too impossible that our heroes can't quickly extricate themselves from. Ah, if only they were mere mortals -- but then again, where's the fun in that? ( )
  skraft001 | Nov 30, 2012 |
The story is interesting but the barrage of banal expressions and dime store sentimentality erodes the telling. And there is the modicum of turgid prose thrown in. Even though I did not expect literature, the writing was woeful enough that I found myself yelling "hack" periodically (or other phrases). The usual superman hero is present who appears to not require much sleep, is not fazed by an occasional wound, etc. that's not much different than the flat characters we've become accustomed to on TV. If you want a more reality based portrayal of clandestine operations (CIA), I recommend The Company (Robert Littell). With Hades it is too often difficult to suspend disbelief and get into the tale because of Ludlum's overwrought prose. ( )
  mt2012 | Sep 4, 2012 |

Robert Ludlumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lynds, Gaylemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lynds, Gaylemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Montanari, Alessandra Guccini e ChiaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wit, Joy deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mario Dublin stumbled along the busy downtown street, a dollar bill clutched in his shaking hand.
"The Hades Factor" is the same book as "Robert Ludlum's The Hades Factor"

German

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312973055, Mass Market Paperback)

With an unbroken string of bestsellers dating from the early '70s (beginning with 1971's The Scarlatti Inheritance) and over 200 million books sold, Robert Ludlum is an acknowledged superstar of the political thriller. Gayle Lynds, who was compared to Ludlum after her 1996 debut, Masquerade, has two successful novels and a slew of pseudonymous pulp fiction titles to her credit. Together--after a fashion--they serve up book 1 of Ludlum's new Covert-One series of trade paperback originals, Robert Ludlum's the Hades Factor.

After three disparate Americans succumb to a hitherto unknown Ebola-like virus, the United States Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) is pressed into service. Since the USAMRIID's top doc (and former military intelligence operative) Lt. Col. Jon Smith has yet to return from an overseas conference, the job of heading the medical research team falls to Smith's colleague and fiancée, Dr. Sophia Russell.

Upon Smith's return, he is sequentially treated to a life-or-death warning from a childhood friend (and rogue FBI agent), several nasty near-death experiences, and the viscerally graphic demise of his wife-to-be, an apparent virus victim. Enraged and bereaved, Smith flies into investigatory action only to discover doctored files, expunged records, and the distinct likelihood that he's dealing with cases of murder-by-virus. As more questions are asked, more deaths occur, official channels slam shut, and Smith finds himself a wanted man, battling his best friend, an evil-genius gazillionaire scientist, corrupt politicians, and Third World terrorists. In other words, it's Smith versus all the usual suspects.

Ludlum and Lynds cover no new ground here (and their prose is less than sterling). In fact, The Hades Factor owes as much to Tom Clancy's Op-Center series--cocreated by Clancy and Steve Pieczenik--and Richard Preston's The Hot Zone as it does to Ludlum's own considerable body of work. That said, The Hades Factor still delivers a respectable level of intrigue and suspense, will likely be snapped up by output-starved Ludlum fanciers, and will be right at home on the bed stands of Preston fans. --Michael Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:42 -0400)

When an unknown virus strikes the United States, Jonathan Smith, an Army medical researcher, escapes several assassination attempts, only to discover that his fiancee is one of the victims, and that all his research is being blocked.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,427,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible