Fortune and Fate by Sharon Shinn

Fortune and Fate

by Sharon Shinn

Series: Twelve Houses (5)

Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn (humouress)
    humouress: Characters to fall in love with, and a sweet romance

Book 5 was one of my favourites despite the rather weak plot line (Wen suffers severely from her perceived disgrace of not defending her king) so she disappears from the Rider's community. The Riders have been developed as a tight, supportive elite which she abandons. However, the subsequent story is brilliant and her eventual reunion with the other characters is naturally accomplished. Amalie seems easier to admire and accept as an articulate leader, Cammon is plausible as her Consort and the ruling families appear to be satisfactory. The denouement is not sappy and too honeyed 'happily ever after'. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Apr 26, 2017 |
41/2014 ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
This book was my favorite of the series, although it concentrates more on the story of Wen, a former Kings Rider who was unable to save her King from Assassination. Despite her near fatal wounds, she suffers survivors remorse and wanders the kingdom with a guilt she can't shake, seeking people she can help to save. Thus it is in Fortune, with the band of people Wen has saved and how she comes to finding acceptance and love in Jasper and more importantly acceptance of herself. I can truly say that this story's appeal snuck up on me and I'd certainly recommend this book as a fitting closure to a remarkable series.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Dec 7, 2016 |
Hardened fighter tries to retire because she feels guilty about not saving the life of the man she was supposed to protect, but gets talked into helping protect a young girl who is the heir to an important region. In the process she rebuilds her self-esteem and also falls in love with the girl’s bookish guardian. Pleasant enough, but I couldn’t get a lot of enthusiasm for it. ( )
  rivkat | May 24, 2016 |
I was hankering for a traditional fantasy novel, and this hit the spot admirably.

The major story arc of the Twelve Houses has concluded, and this novel ties up a few loose ends. Wen, a Rider, fought but did not die at King Baryn's side. Feeling bitterly that she has failed in her duty, she roams Gillengaria, unable to settle in one place, defending the helpless with her fighting skills as atonement. She rescues a young girl, Karryn, who is a serramarra and the future marlady (ruler) of Fortunault, one of the Twelve Houses. Finding that her protection is woefully inadequate, Wen is asked to help build up the defences of Karryn's estate, called Fortune, by her uncle and regent, Jasper.

We see Wen building a trusted team around Karryn, so she can leave Fortune in good hands, and we see Jasper helping Wen rebuild her faith in herself. We also get to see quite a bit of the characters from the rest of the series that we know and fell in love with.

Will Wen be able to find the forgiveness she has denied herself? Will she be able to finally go home?

Although this book can be read separately from the rest of the series, it does contain spoilers for it, as it takes place after events in the series. (The rest of the series does have to be read in order, as the books are part of a continuing story.)

I do love a good romance, and this one is sweet and well told. I love the universe Shinn has created with her Twelve Houses series, and I wouldn't mind reading more. Unfortunately, this is the last book (for now?).

5 stars ( )
  humouress | Feb 7, 2016 |

Sharon Shinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Matt,
who's read my manuscripts by flashlight on the long drives to Chicago, and who particularly liked this one;
And to the rest of his family, Shari, Rich, and Jessica, my eternal houseguests.
Karryn was so grateful to step out of the coach that her legs pratically buckled under her as her feet touched the ground.

Plagued by guilt for failing to protect her king, Rider Wren has fled the city of Gilengaria and given herself the penance of a life of wandering, helping strangers in need. But when chance brings her to the great estate known as Fortune, Wren will find her fate, and finally confront the ghosts of her past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:30 -0400)

A troubled Warrior Rider named Wen faces her greatest challenge in the last place she ever expected--behind the walls of a great family estate known as Fortune, where Wen has been hired to guard the young heiress. Once there, she will find that fate has other plans for her.… (more)

26 wanted3 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible