Fortune and Fate by Sharon Shinn

Fortune and Fate

by Sharon Shinn

Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Fortune And Fate focuses on a character NOT part of the original six that I grew to love with the past 4 books. Which is why I waited -and with the waiting, forgot most of the details. What is great about Fortune And Fate is that it can almost serve as a standalone novel with occasional references to earlier books and homages to the already-loved characters. I could settle back into the world of Gillengaria, and still find it as exciting and new as ever!

Wen reminded me of Tamora Pierce's strong female characters, namely those who wielded swords and more than equaled their male counterparts. She lived and breathed the soldier's life, unapologetically, except those rare occasions when she catches herself caring about the opinion of Karryn's guardian. I think Wen was a great character who obviously thought on her feet and could come up with a plan when in a tight spot. A woman you definitely wanted on your side when the going gets rough and full of flying arrows.

And when her relationship with Jasper (guardian) kept growing, I thought it was probably the most beautifully done romance that I have ever read. I don't know how to describe my reaction. Watching Jasper try to get Wen to trust him and sneakily court her without raising her hackles was simply wonderful. When he finally breaks through her shields and throws the ball into her court, I was literally grinning like an idiot. Of course, Wen took forever to figure out what she wanted and where she wanted to end up and if Jasper would get tired of her.

Fortune And Fate is definitely worth the time if you enjoyed previous books in the Twelve Houses series, especially if you are in the mood for some light fantasy with some swordsplay and whodunit intrigue. I would also say if you are a fan of Song Of The Lioness quartet, you might want to check this out - I think it can stand alone, as long as you don't mind missing some small details about the bigger picture. ( )
  theepicrat | Jan 18, 2011 |
After King Bayrn was killed during the uprisings led by houses Fortunalt and Gisseltess two years previous, Kings Rider Wen has felt nothing but regret and guilt for letting the king be killed while under her protection. Unable to face her fellow Riders, she refrained from swearing allegiance to Queen Amalie and instead set off in search of redemption - by aiding anyone in need of help. In her travels Wen rescues young Kayrrn Fortunalt - serramarra and future marlady of Fortunalt - from a young man trying to force her into marriage. Finding Wen to be particularly handy with a sword, Kayrrn and her bookish guardian Jasper Palladar ask Wen to stay on at the underprotected Fortune to train a house guard for the serramarra. Feeling a need to keep moving, Wen only agrees to stay at Fortune for a short time, all the while becoming more and more attached to the people of Fortune - especially the serramarra and Jasper.Back in Gosenhall, Cammon - the Queen's consort - has decided to take a tour of the southern houses and has asked Senneth(!), Tayse, and numerous other soldiers and Riders to accompany him on his journey. I was thrilled to see a new Cammon - one who could easily navigate court politics while simultaneously glad-handing every man, woman, and child they passed on the road. Gone are the days of his complete cluelessness (which I sort of missed), but Cammon can always be counted on to watch out for even the most seemingly insignificant person.This fifth installment in Sharon Shinn's much loved Twelve Houses series was full of adventure and the loyalty and love that I've come to expect from her characters. This book does depart from the others in that it was much slower moving with more inner character development and less constant and often explosive action. Which was not a bad thing. I quickly grew to love Wen in all her guilt-ridden but selfless heroism. Fantastic writing with nary a hitch. ( )
  mmillet | Dec 14, 2009 |
I read the Kindle edition rather than the hardback, but haven't figured out how to add another edition to the system.I enjoyed the return to Gillengaria and and the Twelve Houses. One aspect of this book that made it stand out was the intellectual action as opposed to the physical action that was predominant in the earlier books of the series. ( )
  elsi | Jul 15, 2009 |
This latest book of the Twelve Houses is a bit different from the rest in the series. It takes place after the war so it is more suspenseful than action/adventure. It also moves on to a different character who was not one of the main characters from the other books. It ties in nicely and I found myself surprised at where it went. ( )
  janepriceestrada | Jan 13, 2009 |
To Matt,
who's read my manuscripts by flashlight on the long drives to Chicago, and who particularly liked this one;
And to the rest of his family, Shari, Rich, and Jessica, my eternal houseguests.
Karryn was so grateful to step out of the coach that her legs pratically buckled under her as her feet touched the ground.

Plagued by guilt for failing to protect her king, Rider Wren has fled the city of Gilengaria and given herself the penance of a life of wandering, helping strangers in need. But when chance brings her to the great estate known as Fortune, Wren will find her fate, and finally confront the ghosts of her past.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:27 -0400)

A troubled Warrior Rider named Wen faces her greatest challenge in the last place she ever expected--behind the walls of a great family estate known as Fortune, where Wen has been hired to guard the young heiress. Once there, she will find that fate has other plans for her.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible