The Fathomless Caves by Kate Forsyth

The Fathomless Caves (2002)

by Kate Forsyth

WITCHES OF EILEAMAN
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
The entire cast comes together in this stunning conclusion. Some of our old friends play bigger parts then others but all of the loose ends are tied up. Love is tested, loyalty challenged, and sacrifices are made. This book provides us with a very satisfying, and in some ways, bittersweet ending to a vibrant and engrossing series. I was sad to close the book; I enjoyed every minute of this story and adored the characters.

Full review here:
Dragons, Heroes and Wizards ( )
1 vote Mulluane | Nov 3, 2008 |
"Driven by ancient hatreds, the Fairgean have called upon dreadful powers to aid them in their quest to totally annihilate all those who dwell upon the land. As the time of the comet draws ever closer, Lachlan and Iseult try desperately to avert the terrible fate the blind seer Jorge had prophesied, testing their strength and love to the utmost.
Meanwhile, Isabeau must travel a dark and dangerous road to fulfill her own destiny and prove herself worthy of the ring of the sorceress. Facing old enemies and new, the most difficult challenge of all will be conquering the ghosts of her past. For if Isabeau is to heal the land, she first must find the way to healing her own troubled spirit."

Why did it have to end? What am I going to do with all that spare time now? I will have to find something else to read... I felt so immersed, it felt almost as real as my actual life. All I wanted was for my work day to end, so I could go back to be with all my favourite friends in this beautiful world. Book 6 ties up all those loose ends and is probably the most predictable book of the series. Not many surprises and some things that I expected, were a bit anticlimactic. But all in all still a very good and entertaining read and I will thoroughly miss Eileanan. ( )
1 vote cathepsut | Feb 23, 2007 |
1. Magic is the mother of eternity, and of the essence of all essences, for it makes itself by itself and is understood in the desire.

2. It is nothing in itself but a will. . . .

5. Magic is spirit and being is its body. . . .

6. Magic is the most secret thing.

– Jakob Böhme, Base des six point thésophiques, 1620
For all those who died -- stripped naked, shaved, shorn,

For all those who screamed in vain to the Great Goddess,

only to have their tongues ripped out by the root,

For all those who were pricked, racked, broken on the

wheel for the sins of their Inquisitors.

For all those whose beauty stirred their tormentors to fury;

And for those whose ugliness did the same.

And for all those who were either ugly nor beautiful, but

only women who would not submit.

For all those quick fingers, broken in the vise.

For all those soft arms, pulled from their sockets.

For all those budding breasts, ripped with hot pincers,

For all those midwives, killed merely for the sin of

delivering man to an imperfect world.

For all those witch-women, my sister who breathed freer

as the flames took them,

knwng as they shed their female bodies,

the seared flesh falling like fruit in the flames,

that death alone would cleanse them of the sin for which

they died --

the sin of being born a woman who is more than the sum of

her parts

-- Anonymous, sixteenth century

(Published in Erica Jong, Witches, 1981)
The soaring towers of Rhyssmadill were bright with the light of a thousand lanterns.

The Final War is Waged, Land Against Sea.

In Eileanan, victory has finally been won, and those of faery kind -- from the mighty dragons to the mysterious nyx -- have sworn their friendship and aid. Only the sea-dwelling Fairgean have refused to sign the Pact of Peace. Driven by ancient hatreds, they have devoted themselves to destroying all who dwell upon the land.

Troubled by the darkness that may lie ahead, Lachlan agrees to release his beloved Iseult from the sacred oath that binds them together. It will then be for Iseult to decide whether she will remain in the mountains to resume life with her own kin, or return to the man who has let her go.

To help bring peace to Eileanan, Iseult's flame-haired twin, Isabeau, must also face her most dfficult challenge yet. But befre she can prove herself worthy of both the scar of the Soul-Sage and the ring of the sorceress, she must first find a way to heal her own wounded spirit.

[from the back cover]

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451459024, Mass Market Paperback)

In Eileanan, the sea-dwelling Fairgain have refused to sign the Pact of Peace. Driven by ancient hatreds, they have devoted themselves to destroying all who dwell upon the land. To help bring peace, Iseult's flame-haired twin Isabeau must face her most difficult challenge yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

In the epic conclusion of The Witches of Eileanan series, Iseult, her sister, Isabeau, and Iseult's beloved Lachlan risk everything to bring final peace, as the sea-dwelling Fairgean, driven by ancient hatreds, vow to destroy all those who dwell on the lan.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,891,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible