Ethics for the New Millennium by H. H. the…

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
In his down to earth, compassionate way, the Dalai Lama explains what it takes to be good, and how to live a life of happiness, without suffering. ( )
  fingerpost | Sep 15, 2014 |
As a brief and necessarily general work, this book isn't exactly revelatory, but its simplicity is soothing and its message always welcome, however familiar. After all, there's a difference between being familiar with and remaining aware of ethical principles, not to mention the difference between remaining aware of and acting on them. For the duration of the book, I was at least aware.

Ultimately, I'd prefer a more specific discussion of how the Dalai Lama's experience and belief are relevant to a modern global society, particularly a discussion with more pointed comparisons and anecdotes, but for an introduction to universal ethics addressed to a broad audience, this is an admirable place to start. ( )
  idlerking | Mar 31, 2013 |
Book Description: New York, NY, U.S.A.: Putnam Publishing Group, The, 1999. Hard Cover. Very Fine/Very Fine. 8vo - over 7" - 9¾" tall. First Edition, 15 Printing, vf/vf
  Czrbr | Jun 7, 2010 |
Fellow reviewers on this site have spoken at length about the accuracy and historical relevance of the portrayal of the Soviet Gulag system in _One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich_. They have detailed the harsh conditions, the complex mechanics of survival in the Gulag, the terror of Stalin's government, and the 'harrowing' experiences of the zeks - the slang term for the Soviet Gulag prisoner. I concur with all of these observations, but I would like to provide the potential reader with a view from another angle.

_One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich_ is uplifting. It is a story of the transcendent quality of the human will that allows one not only to survive, but to _live_ in the most adverse of situations. The protagonist, Shukhov, shows little fear, little pain. Instead he shows that a slave laborer can retain enough dignity to show pride in his workmanship, compassion for his fellows, and a drive to carry on.

Throughout the story Shukhov is creating. He sews, builds a wall, fashions illicit tools. And though these things help ensure his survival, his ongoing occupation in these activities and his investment of himself in them shows what a basic part of humans the creative impulse is. For Shukhov, creating does not save his life, it is his life.

In this world, there are people whose words are clear and inspiring, tempered with insight gained through adversity - the kind of adversity so severe that no person would choose to place themselves amongst it. Imprisonment, danger, fear of death. Solzhenitsyn is one of these; the wisdom he offers to us has already been bought and paid for. We others are fortunate enough to be lent what these people have to offer - those who have had no choice but to be there, and have lived to write about it. And if ever we find ourselves in a similar kind of adversity, we can remember what they have taught us, and know that adversity can be endured.

Some say that life is suffering. The story of the zek shows me in suffering, there can be life. The story reminded me of how comfortable my life is and how trivial my concerns can be. The author's style and the skill of the translation (I refer to the H.T. Willetts translation, ISBN 0374521956) make this book accessible to everyone. This is fortunate, because everyone can benefit from the message to be found in _One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich_. ( )
  JoK | May 2, 2010 |
Meant for a general audience, this is a sincere, good-natured plea for better behavior by all people in all positions, citing the fact that all people want to be happy and to avoid suffering. ( )
  bordercollie | Mar 19, 2009 |

In a difficult, uncertain time, it takes a person of great courage, such as the Dalai Lama, to give us hope. Regardless of the violence and cynicism we see on television and read about in the news, there is an argument to be made for basic human goodness. The number of people who spend their lives engaged in violence and dishonesty is tiny compared to the vast majority who would wish others only well. According to the Dalai Lama, our survival has depended and will continue to depend on our basic goodness. Ethics for the New Millennium presents a moral system based on universal rather than religious principles. Its ultimate goal is happiness for every individual, irrespective of religious beliefs. Though the Dalai Lama is himself a practicing Buddhist, his apporach to life and the moral compass that guides him can lead each and every one of us-Muslim, Christian, Jew, Buddhist, or atheist-to a happier, more fulfilling life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:40 -0400)

The Dalai Lama masterfully articulates some of the most important principals that are set forth by the Buddhist religion into understandable everyday language.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible