The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas…

The Cabinet of Curiosities (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:bethwerkhoven5104
Title:The Cabinet of Curiosities
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages

The Cabinet Of Curiosities by Douglas Preston (2002)

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in feel and approach, an excellent mystery novel.
    The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston (LisatheLibrarian)

English (69)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All (75)
After a horrible discovery of a XIX century churnel house made by construction workers, people start dying. The manner of these recent deaths is the same as the old murders, so the press gave the killer a name - The Surgeon. Considering how weird all this is, it is no wonder Pendergast gets involved. There is a lot of him in this book.

I have a feeling this book tried to cram as much as incompetent and corrupt people as it it possible. It certainly wins the prize so far. The first two had their own bureaucrats and jerks, but here it is a whole new level of ass-kissing, ruining other people or harassing normal ones. I am not satisfied how that played out. I cannot write more about it or I'll ruin the part of the story.

I don't have to write about how I love Pendergast either. If he was a bit of omniscient before, here he gets another, more human layer to his personality. We are allowed to see just how much human he is. His part in all this was great, albeit still insufficient for me to be satisfied. Still, the manner we get more, but still not enough, information about him is a good way to keep readers interested.

Of the three people involved in previous cases, only the journalist remained. I wish he too left somewhere. Authors usually reserve TSTL moments for their female characters. Here, I am happy (or unhappy as the case may be) to report Smithback could give those heroines run for their money. God, he was so stupid he almost ruined the story. There wasn't a single thing he did here to make me even like, let alone love him. He acted childish and selfish and even if he had those 'qualities' before, here they are more pronounced.
The second person Pendergast enlists to help him is an archaeologist Nora Kelly, Smithback's girlfriend. The authors can't show the chemistry between the characters, so we get quite a few sentences telling us how he loves her. I don't mind romantic angle to a story. I like it even, but here it was out of place. She could have been just an archaeologist who just met them and it would still be the same story. And she wasn't really likeable either. The first part of the story she is wining about her job, then she gets angry for whatever reason. Margo Green and D'Acosta, they are not. Anyway, it isn't that pronounced to mess up the story.

The too long meditation that looks like time travel or a vivid dream would work in a film, but here they threw me in something that seemed like a different story. That, and one time it was even unbelievable considering the place the characters doing it were in.

Parts of this story were too hard to read. The suffering and the waiting were dragged a bit. I still enjoyed it though and would recommend this series to anyone who likes a thriller seasoned with weirdness. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
One of the best of the numerous Pendergast series novels as the FBI agent traces the connection between a series of heinous serial murders of more than a century ago and a round of current copycat slayings. A fast read...I banged out the last 150 pages of a breathless climactic sequence in one reading. ( )
  NickHowes | Aug 20, 2016 |
The New York City Museum of Natural History cloaks a terrifying secret from the past.
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jul 6, 2016 |
Nora is an archaeologist with the Natural History Museum in New York City. When FBI Special Agent Pendergast requests her immediate help with some skeletons found under a construction site, she goes to take a look, but the developer gets rid of the two of them fairly quickly, after she's only had a short time to investigate. It seems that at least 36 bodies were found at the site and they think this was the work of a serial killer from over 100 years earlier. Despite the protestations of the developer and Nora's employer, they (along with the help of Nora's reporter boyfriend and a police officer assigned to keep an eye on Pendergast) work to find out what happened there. There now also seems to be a series of copycat murders.

I really liked this. I enjoyed learning about historical cabinets of curiosities. I also quite like Pendergast's character and there were some tense moments in the book that kept me reading. Despite being about 500 pages, it was a quick read. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 25, 2016 |
A horror/mystery about a serial killer who may have discovered the secret of immortality.... A very Dr. Jekyll/Frankenstein aesthetic, brought into a modern-day milieu - but I *really* enjoyed this book for its over-the-top, tongue in cheek portrayal of the Scary Dangerous city that is New York, and especially the portrayal of the Oh-So-Spooky! Natural History Museum (where I worked for a 9-month internship).
The book is dedicated to "librarians," which gives a clue that the totally ridiculous portrayal of the archivist and library in the museum is very intentionally so... and it is FUNNY! In that watching a bad 70's exploitation film kinda way....
However, reading the reviews on amazon.com, I dunno how many people picked up on that... they don't seem to get it. But I'm 95% sure it was supposed to be funny...
I did disagree with the ending moral, but it was very classic... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Preston, Douglasmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cappi, Andrea CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child dedicate this book to the teachers, professors, and librarians of America, most especially those who have made a difference in our own lives.
Pee-Wee Boxer surveyed the jobsite with disgust.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446611239, Mass Market Paperback)

In an ancient tunnel underneath New York City a charnel house is discovered. Inside are thirty-six bodies all murdered and mutilated more than a century ago. While FBI agent Pendergast investigates the old crimes, identical killings start to terrorize the city. The nightmare has begun. Again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

FBI agent Pendergast and archaeologist Nora Kelly join forces to stop a vicious murderer when the discovery of the remains of thirty-six victims of a nineteenth-century killer apparently sets off a new series of similar killings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,751,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible