The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas…

The Cabinet of Curiosities (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:bethwerkhoven5104
Title:The Cabinet of Curiosities
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages

The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston (Author) (2002)

The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in feel and approach, an excellent mystery novel.
    Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston (LisatheLibrarian)

English (53)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (58)
I've read the first three of the Pendergast series, and this one is the best so far. Can't wait to get to the next one. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |
Preston and Child continue to make me curious (ha ha) about Pendergast. They give just enough tidbits to draw me into the next book. There are some weird bits in each book that annoy me. There's this sense of obfuscation for obfuscation's sake. Also, the coincidence fairy visits a little too often. I am fascinated by the word choices. The word choices are as much a character of the novels as Pendergast ( )
  lesmel | May 18, 2013 |
Yet another wonderful Preston/Child mystery. A story that involves the quest for eternal life on earth and where science has gone wrong. Beginning in the 19th century Five Points area of Manhattan, a doctor must kill people in order to extract a protein from the human spine while alive. In order to do this he must kidnap innocent people and tie them down inside his hidden lab to perform the extraction, afterwards succumbing to death. But, does this doctor actually achieve success, and years later is he still alive acting out these bizarre murders? Pendergrast and his cohorts team up to find this doctor and his mysterious lab and attempt to bring an end to this injustice.

Never a dull moment, nor is it predictable. Full of mystery, intrigue, suspense, and action. I highly recommend this book to Preston/Child fans especially to those who always enjoy Agent Pendergrast and his witty nuances. ( )
  gdill | May 16, 2013 |
Six-word review: Wow, more creepy subterranean nasty business.

Extended review:

I think I'm catching onto a pattern here. This is the third mystery-thriller starring Special Agent Pendergast, and three out of three have involved (a) the Museum of Natural History in New York, (b) a mad scientist, (c) some kind of magic potion, and (d) underground tunnels with horrid things in them.

There are also, as before, some stalwarts and some dopes in the NYPD, a personable, vulnerable and yet strong young woman, and a likable, annoying reporter.

I guess if you have a formula that works, it's smart not to mess with it.

The LT series lists showing titles in sequence are a great resource. What I didn't realize, though, when I selected this book as the third in the series, is that apparently there were other titles between the second and third Pendergast books that carried on sequentially but involved other characters. So Nora Kelly had been introduced and her relationship with Bill Smithback developed in a non-Pendergast book that preceded this one.

That wasn't really a problem; the authors supplied enough backstory to fill the gaps. But this was a caution that I didn't think of in following a series--the idea that the series might branch and I might be missing story development if I mistakenly followed a single main character.

At any rate, as before, this one presented a fast-moving and suspenseful yarn with pluses and minuses that balance out in its favor, as long as you're in the mood for the gruesome parts. ( )
  Meredy | Apr 26, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book. For the most part interesting and fast-paced. Bogged down in a couple of places, but nothing too annoying. Similarly a couple of plot holes, but nothing so gross as to affect the overall story line.

Agent Pendergast is an interesting character, but more a collection of affectations than a fleshed out person. I'd have enjoyed it more if the authors had spent a bit more time developing his character and letting us know what makes him tick. Maybe they do in the other books in the series.

The story's good - part "Silence of the Lambs", part "X-Files". Some nice plot twists and atmospheric settings. It would make a good movie. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Mar 30, 2013 |

Preston, DouglasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, LincolnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cappi, Andrea CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child dedicate this book to the teachers, professors, and librarians of America, most especially those who have made a difference in our own lives.
Pee-Wee Boxer surveyed the jobsite with disgust.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446611239, Mass Market Paperback)

In an ancient tunnel underneath New York City a charnel house is discovered. Inside are thirty-six bodies all murdered and mutilated more than a century ago. While FBI agent Pendergast investigates the old crimes, identical killings start to terrorize the city. The nightmare has begun. Again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:44 -0400)

FBI agent Pendergast and archaeologist Nora Kelly join forces to stop a vicious murderer when the discovery of the remains of thirty-six victims of a nineteenth-century killer apparently sets off a new series of similar killings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,227,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible