The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas…

The Cabinet of Curiosities (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:bethwerkhoven5104
Title:The Cabinet of Curiosities
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages

The Cabinet Of Curiosities by Douglas Preston (2002)

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in feel and approach, an excellent mystery novel.
    The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston (LisatheLibrarian)

English (65)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (71)
A horror/mystery about a serial killer who may have discovered the secret of immortality.... A very Dr. Jekyll/Frankenstein aesthetic, brought into a modern-day milieu - but I *really* enjoyed this book for its over-the-top, tongue in cheek portrayal of the Scary Dangerous city that is New York, and especially the portrayal of the Oh-So-Spooky! Natural History Museum (where I worked for a 9-month internship).
The book is dedicated to "librarians," which gives a clue that the totally ridiculous portrayal of the archivist and library in the museum is very intentionally so... and it is FUNNY! In that watching a bad 70's exploitation film kinda way....
However, reading the reviews on amazon.com, I dunno how many people picked up on that... they don't seem to get it. But I'm 95% sure it was supposed to be funny...
I did disagree with the ending moral, but it was very classic... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Angent Pendergast gets Nora Kelly and her boyfriend reporter Bill Smithback involved in the discovery of 30 some odd bodies discovered in a charnel pit dating from the 1800's. The investigation soon leads to a series of similar present day murders. This book didn't suck me in as much as the first two in the series but I still found it an enjoyable read. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
This is Agent Pendergast greatest crime to solve. One in which even he doesnt have all the answers. This one i did know who the "Bad guy" was early on, but there were still lots of twist that I did not see coming. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
First I have to say that I love the team of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child and The Cabinet of Curiosities is not a disappointment. I don't really read them in the order they are read and its really not necessary.

In the mid 1800's when the Museum of Natural History in New York City was just getting started there were "Cabinets of Curiosities" all around. These Cabinets had the unusual, the strange and the unknown.

At a construction site, bones of 36 bodies were found from the 1880's. The company owner had pull and even though Nora Kelly, archaeologist at the Museum, would like to have examined the site as an archaeological find he got the city Mayor to declare it just "old murders". The Medical Examiner did an examination and the bones removed.

Strange things and 2 horrific murders occur. Pendergast (FBI) came with an unusual interest in the bones, the site and who the murderer was back then.

Smithback, NY Times, wrote an article about the find stating how horrific those murders were, who committed them, etc. Then the current murders occur and his article gets blamed for the copycat murderer.

Or what it a copycat?

I kind of got a niggling of why Pendergast was so interested in the case. The Cabinet of Curiosities is an excellent story and lots of twists and turns. The police go off in one direction while Pedergast, Kelly and Smithback go another. Of course, the later are more on track than the police. ( )
  Diane_K | Jul 14, 2015 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cappi, Andrea CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child dedicate this book to the teachers, professors, and librarians of America, most especially those who have made a difference in our own lives.
Pee-Wee Boxer surveyed the jobsite with disgust.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446611239, Mass Market Paperback)

In an ancient tunnel underneath New York City a charnel house is discovered. Inside are thirty-six bodies all murdered and mutilated more than a century ago. While FBI agent Pendergast investigates the old crimes, identical killings start to terrorize the city. The nightmare has begun. Again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

FBI agent Pendergast and archaeologist Nora Kelly join forces to stop a vicious murderer when the discovery of the remains of thirty-six victims of a nineteenth-century killer apparently sets off a new series of similar killings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,355,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible