The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas…

The Cabinet of Curiosities (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:bethwerkhoven5104
Title:The Cabinet of Curiosities
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:

The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston (2002)

The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in feel and approach, an excellent mystery novel.
    Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston (LisatheLibrarian)

English (59)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (64)
Complete crap. This book was way too long and Pendergast is a boring Mary Sue. By the end when he was cauterizing wounds while translating Greek I was ready to throw the book across the room. ( )
  PaulDW | Oct 14, 2014 |
Unfortunately for me, I began the Pendergast series with [b:Dance of Death|919890|Dance of Death|Douglas Preston|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1179456989s/919890.jpg|1847396] and have read all new books. While I know much of his roots, as I begin to reread the first few, the details referenced in future books are actually explained here. Helps to flesh out the mystery of the man. The story was good, ironically dealing entirely with the idea of Late 19th century Cabinets of Curiosities and a serial killer trying to prolong his life. Small chapters keep the pace of this book very quick and it is hard to not read just one more chapter until the book finally is over.

Pendergast receives 891 Riverside from his great grand uncle, the original serial killer prolonging his life. The Greene family/Constance is introduced. Nora Kelly and Bill Smithback return. No D'Agosta, he is off writing those cop serials mentioned in later books. ( )
2 vote T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
After a horrible discovery of a XIX century churnel house made by construction workers, people start dying. The manner of these recent deaths is the same as the old murders, so the press gave the killer a name - The Surgeon. Considering how weird all this is, it is no wonder Pendergast gets involved. There is a lot of him in this book.

I have a feeling this book tried to cram as much as incompetent and corrupt people as it it possible. It certainly wins the prize so far. The first two had their own bureaucrats and jerks, but here it is a whole new level of ass-kissing, ruining other people or harassing normal ones. I am not satisfied how that played out. I cannot write more about it or I'll ruin the part of the story.

I don't have to write about how I love Pendergast either. If he was a bit of omniscient before, here he gets another, more human layer to his personality. We are allowed to see just how much human he is. His part in all this was great, albeit still insufficient for me to be satisfied. Still, the manner we get more, but still not enough, information about him is a good way to keep readers interested.

Of the three people involved in previous cases, only the journalist remained. I wish he too left somewhere. Authors usually reserve TSTL moments for their female characters. Here, I am happy (or unhappy as the case may be) to report Smithback could give those heroines run for their money. God, he was so stupid he almost ruined the story. There wasn't a single thing he did here to make me even like, let alone love him. He acted childish and selfish and even if he had those 'qualities' before, here they are more pronounced.
The second person Pendergast enlists to help him is an archaeologist Nora Kelly, Smithback's girlfriend. The authors can't show the chemistry between the characters, so we get quite a few sentences telling us how he loves her. I don't mind romantic angle to a story. I like it even, but here it was out of place. She could have been just an archaeologist who just met them and it would still be the same story. And she wasn't really likeable either. The first part of the story she is wining about her job, then she gets angry for whatever reason. Margo Green and D'Acosta, they are not. Anyway, it isn't that pronounced to mess up the story.

The too long meditation that looks like time travel or a vivid dream would work in a film, but here they threw me in something that seemed like a different story. That, and one time it was even unbelievable considering the place the characters doing it was in.

Part of this story were too hard to read. The suffering and the waiting were dragged a bit. I still enjoyed it though and would recommend this series to anyone who likes a thriller seasoned with weirdness. ( )
1 vote Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
"Old bones...New people"

A pile of bones is found and Pendergast shows to look into the find. This is the 3 book in the Pendergast saga and even though the storyline is a little out there the whole book was an enjoyable and delightful listen. I have enjoyed getting to know Pendergast even though these books are a little on the old side I am new to the series. They are not your standard, run of the mill mystery/murder novels which is a good thing. So if you can get beyond the out bounds type of storyline you should enjoy this book and if your already a fan of Pendergast you really wound be disappointed ( )
1 vote nursewidener | Jul 28, 2014 |
Ihan pirteä kesälukeminen ( )
  RistoZ | Jul 20, 2014 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cappi, Andrea CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child dedicate this book to the teachers, professors, and librarians of America, most especially those who have made a difference in our own lives.
Pee-Wee Boxer surveyed the jobsite with disgust.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446611239, Mass Market Paperback)

In an ancient tunnel underneath New York City a charnel house is discovered. Inside are thirty-six bodies all murdered and mutilated more than a century ago. While FBI agent Pendergast investigates the old crimes, identical killings start to terrorize the city. The nightmare has begun. Again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:44 -0400)

FBI agent Pendergast and archaeologist Nora Kelly join forces to stop a vicious murderer when the discovery of the remains of thirty-six victims of a nineteenth-century killer apparently sets off a new series of similar killings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,394,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible