The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas…

The Cabinet of Curiosities (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Title:The Cabinet of Curiosities
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages

The cabinet of curiosities by Douglas Preston (2002)

Recently added bySherrieB, private library, dmm2015, Plumpit1, VashonJim
    The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in feel and approach, an excellent mystery novel.
    Cemetery dance by Douglas Preston (LisatheLibrarian)

English (62)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (68)
First I have to say that I love the team of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child and The Cabinet of Curiosities is not a disappointment. I don't really read them in the order they are read and its really not necessary.

In the mid 1800's when the Museum of Natural History in New York City was just getting started there were "Cabinets of Curiosities" all around. These Cabinets had the unusual, the strange and the unknown.

At a construction site, bones of 36 bodies were found from the 1880's. The company owner had pull and even though Nora Kelly, archaeologist at the Museum, would like to have examined the site as an archaeological find he got the city Mayor to declare it just "old murders". The Medical Examiner did an examination and the bones removed.

Strange things and 2 horrific murders occur. Pendergast (FBI) came with an unusual interest in the bones, the site and who the murderer was back then.

Smithback, NY Times, wrote an article about the find stating how horrific those murders were, who committed them, etc. Then the current murders occur and his article gets blamed for the copycat murderer.

Or what it a copycat?

I kind of got a niggling of why Pendergast was so interested in the case. The Cabinet of Curiosities is an excellent story and lots of twists and turns. The police go off in one direction while Pedergast, Kelly and Smithback go another. Of course, the later are more on track than the police. ( )
  Diane_K | Jul 14, 2015 |
An otherwise excellent novel ended up plagued by a horrendous repetition of words within the last hundred pages. Everything the characters did was described by the authors as either "slowly" or "abruptly." I actually wanted to stop reading, the overused adverbs became so bad. Either the editor became tired toward the end, or the authors were allowed to edit their own book. This saddened me a great deal, as I really loved the twisty, turn-y plot Lincoln and Child developed.

If you follow my reviews, you know I don't regurgitate plots. That's what the synopsis on the book is for. So we'll move along.

Before starting The Cabinet of Curiosities, I read Relic, and it's sequel, Reliquary. You can find my reviews posted here on Goodreads. This book far surpasses those two novels in pace and character development. Never bored, I plowed through this book in only five days. I really didn't want to put it down, but real life does tend to interfere, and me needs my beauty sleep, fool! Special Agent Pendergast's character is finally delved into. He's no longer the obtuse, mysterious FBI agent. His past comes into play all throughout this compelling novel. I can't wait to read the next in the series, Still Life with Crows. It will be nice to finally get out of New York City, where Relic, Reliquary and this book took place. Needing a little variety in my schedule, I won't be starting Still Life with Crows right away. I have an ARC from a friend of mine I need to read ASAP, then I want to tackle Lawrence Block's When the Sacred Gin Mill Closes and Fluke, by Christopher Moore.

Until next time,

E. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Bones are discovered on a construction site. In total 36 bodies are found, the were mutilated more than a 100 years ago.

After the discovery of the bones, similar murders are happening in the streets of New York. Is there a copycat on the loose or the murderer from a 130 years ago still alive?

Agent Pendagast is back for a third time. D'Agosta and Margo Green are gone so he gets the help of Nora Kelly, a archeologist working for the Museum. The story still takes place in New York and also back is Bill Smithback, the journalist looking for his Pulitzer prize and is also Nora's boyfriend. A new character is also in the mix, Patrick O'Shaunessy, a cop who a couple of years ago was accused of taking a bribe and now his boss is making him work with Pendagast as a punishment.

This suspense, horror, fantasy book is great. Pendagast is such a great character, intriguing, weird and who has a few tricks on his sleeve. Smithback is your typical journalist but tends to put his ffot in his mouth a little too often and gets to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. For me they are both the main reasons the books works. They both bring the serious, emotional and funny side that makes the book a joy to read.

They are some parts that are far-fetched more on the fantasy side so be prepared that it's part of the charm the authors bring to this novel.

This book can be read as a stand alone since the references from the two previous book are so minimal that you don't really miss anything that makes you wonder what they are talking about.

Great thrilling, suspense book. 4.5 stars. ( )
  dom76 | Feb 4, 2015 |
"The Cabinet of Curiosities" is an exceptional read and an intelligent literary accomplishment.

In New York, a tunnel at a construction site leads to a storage area where there are the bones of thirty-six people.

Nora Kelly a museum archaeologist at the New York Museum of Natural History is asked to use her expertise to help learn the time when the bodies were placed in this area. She tells officials that the bodies date back to 130 years prior by an unknown serial killer.

Special Agent Pendergast and Dr. Kelly work together to learn more. The construction site was the area where a costly building project was underway and access to the site is denied as construction continues.

Kelly and Pendergast are assisted by a sergeant of the New York Police Department named O'Shaughnessy and Kelly's on again off again boyfriend, reporter William Smithback, Jr.

Gradually, the investigators look at historical records from the Museum and other reference areas. They learn of the serial killer was creating a cabinet of curiosities where unusual items were placed for personal or public interest. As the investigation leads to a mysterious doctor in the past, a copy-cat killer begins killing people in New York. This killer is dubbed "The Surgeon" by news media.

The story is cleverly penned with most unusual and interesting characters. Agent Pendergast likes to investigate unusual cases. He also has the ability to go back in time to get more facts to aid with the case he's working on. Bill and Nora have been seeing each other and seem just about to move in together when complications in this case get in the way.

A further complication is that Nora's boss, Roger Brisbane, is a controlling person who is trying to cut costs at the Museum and doesn't want Dr. Kelly taking on pro-bono work with the FBI.

There are numerous plot twists and we read the novel as if were were trying to fill in the answers to a "New York Times Sunday Puzzle" The action begins slowly but builds up with lightening speed so the concluding moments pass by quickly and in a suspenseful manner.” ( )
  mikedraper | Dec 6, 2014 |
Complete crap. This book was way too long and Pendergast is a boring Mary Sue. By the end when he was cauterizing wounds while translating Greek I was ready to throw the book across the room. ( )
  PaulDW | Oct 14, 2014 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cappi, Andrea CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child dedicate this book to the teachers, professors, and librarians of America, most especially those who have made a difference in our own lives.
Pee-Wee Boxer surveyed the jobsite with disgust.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446611239, Mass Market Paperback)

In an ancient tunnel underneath New York City a charnel house is discovered. Inside are thirty-six bodies all murdered and mutilated more than a century ago. While FBI agent Pendergast investigates the old crimes, identical killings start to terrorize the city. The nightmare has begun. Again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:05 -0400)

FBI agent Pendergast and archaeologist Nora Kelly join forces to stop a vicious murderer when the discovery of the remains of thirty-six victims of a nineteenth-century killer apparently sets off a new series of similar killings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,775,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible