The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas…

The Cabinet of Curiosities (original 2002; edition 2012)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:bethwerkhoven5104
Title:The Cabinet of Curiosities
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages

The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston (2002)

The Keep by F. Paul Wilson (Scottneumann)
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in feel and approach, an excellent mystery novel.
    Cemetery Dance by Douglas Preston (LisatheLibrarian)

English (59)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (65)
"The Cabinet of Curiosities" is an exceptional read and an intelligent literary accomplishment.

In New York, a tunnel at a construction site leads to a storage area where there are the bones of thirty-six people.

Nora Kelly a museum archaeologist at the New York Museum of Natural History is asked to use her expertise to help learn the time when the bodies were placed in this area. She tells officials that the bodies date back to 130 years prior by an unknown serial killer.

Special Agent Pendergast and Dr. Kelly work together to learn more. The construction site was the area where a costly building project was underway and access to the site is denied as construction continues.

Kelly and Pendergast are assisted by a sergeant of the New York Police Department named O'Shaughnessy and Kelly's on again off again boyfriend, reporter William Smithback, Jr.

Gradually, the investigators look at historical records from the Museum and other reference areas. They learn of the serial killer was creating a cabinet of curiosities where unusual items were placed for personal or public interest. As the investigation leads to a mysterious doctor in the past, a copy-cat killer begins killing people in New York. This killer is dubbed "The Surgeon" by news media.

The story is cleverly penned with most unusual and interesting characters. Agent Pendergast likes to investigate unusual cases. He also has the ability to go back in time to get more facts to aid with the case he's working on. Bill and Nora have been seeing each other and seem just about to move in together when complications in this case get in the way.

A further complication is that Nora's boss, Roger Brisbane, is a controlling person who is trying to cut costs at the Museum and doesn't want Dr. Kelly taking on pro-bono work with the FBI.

There are numerous plot twists and we read the novel as if were were trying to fill in the answers to a "New York Times Sunday Puzzle" The action begins slowly but builds up with lightening speed so the concluding moments pass by quickly and in a suspenseful manner.” ( )
  mikedraper | Dec 6, 2014 |
Complete crap. This book was way too long and Pendergast is a boring Mary Sue. By the end when he was cauterizing wounds while translating Greek I was ready to throw the book across the room. ( )
  PaulDW | Oct 14, 2014 |
After a horrible discovery of a XIX century churnel house made by construction workers, people start dying. The manner of these recent deaths is the same as the old murders, so the press gave the killer a name - The Surgeon. Considering how weird all this is, it is no wonder Pendergast gets involved. There is a lot of him in this book.

I have a feeling this book tried to cram as much as incompetent and corrupt people as it it possible. It certainly wins the prize so far. The first two had their own bureaucrats and jerks, but here it is a whole new level of ass-kissing, ruining other people or harassing normal ones. I am not satisfied how that played out. I cannot write more about it or I'll ruin the part of the story.

I don't have to write about how I love Pendergast either. If he was a bit of omniscient before, here he gets another, more human layer to his personality. We are allowed to see just how much human he is. His part in all this was great, albeit still insufficient for me to be satisfied. Still, the manner we get more, but still not enough, information about him is a good way to keep readers interested.

Of the three people involved in previous cases, only the journalist remained. I wish he too left somewhere. Authors usually reserve TSTL moments for their female characters. Here, I am happy (or unhappy as the case may be) to report Smithback could give those heroines run for their money. God, he was so stupid he almost ruined the story. There wasn't a single thing he did here to make me even like, let alone love him. He acted childish and selfish and even if he had those 'qualities' before, here they are more pronounced.
The second person Pendergast enlists to help him is an archaeologist Nora Kelly, Smithback's girlfriend. The authors can't show the chemistry between the characters, so we get quite a few sentences telling us how he loves her. I don't mind romantic angle to a story. I like it even, but here it was out of place. She could have been just an archaeologist who just met them and it would still be the same story. And she wasn't really likeable either. The first part of the story she is wining about her job, then she gets angry for whatever reason. Margo Green and D'Acosta, they are not. Anyway, it isn't that pronounced to mess up the story.

The too long meditation that looks like time travel or a vivid dream would work in a film, but here they threw me in something that seemed like a different story. That, and one time it was even unbelievable considering the place the characters doing it were in.

Parts of this story were too hard to read. The suffering and the waiting were dragged a bit. I still enjoyed it though and would recommend this series to anyone who likes a thriller seasoned with weirdness. ( )
1 vote Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
"Old bones...New people"

A pile of bones is found and Pendergast shows to look into the find. This is the 3 book in the Pendergast saga and even though the storyline is a little out there the whole book was an enjoyable and delightful listen. I have enjoyed getting to know Pendergast even though these books are a little on the old side I am new to the series. They are not your standard, run of the mill mystery/murder novels which is a good thing. So if you can get beyond the out bounds type of storyline you should enjoy this book and if your already a fan of Pendergast you really wound be disappointed ( )
1 vote nursewidener | Jul 28, 2014 |
Ihan pirteä kesälukeminen ( )
  RistoZ | Jul 20, 2014 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cappi, Andrea CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child dedicate this book to the teachers, professors, and librarians of America, most especially those who have made a difference in our own lives.
Pee-Wee Boxer surveyed the jobsite with disgust.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446611239, Mass Market Paperback)

In an ancient tunnel underneath New York City a charnel house is discovered. Inside are thirty-six bodies all murdered and mutilated more than a century ago. While FBI agent Pendergast investigates the old crimes, identical killings start to terrorize the city. The nightmare has begun. Again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:44 -0400)

FBI agent Pendergast and archaeologist Nora Kelly join forces to stop a vicious murderer when the discovery of the remains of thirty-six victims of a nineteenth-century killer apparently sets off a new series of similar killings.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,368,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible