The Zero Game by Brad Meltzer

The Zero Game (edition 2012)

by Brad Meltzer

Member:growling529
Title:The Zero Game
Authors:Brad Meltzer
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:Read

The Zero Game by Brad Meltzer

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
I usually can't put Meltzer's work down once I pick it up, and I felt that way about this one as I went through the last half, but the pacing and the structure of this one threw me off a bit. Structurally, it felt like some odd choices were made. Chapters focusing on the protagonists were in first person present, and the few chapters focused elsewhere were in third person past, and so jumping between chapters sometimes felt fairly jarring. The plot also lagged some, about a fourth of the way in. There's a plot twist there that causes the lag, directly--or, it did for me, at least--but there's no way to speak of it more directly without giving away a piece of the plot.

That said, I understand that twist had to happen, and made sense, even if I didn't at the time and even if it did slow things down a bit. And, all told, Meltzer swept me back into the plot before much time had passed.

For readers who haven't read Meltzer before, I probably wouldn't suggest starting with this one--I don't think it's nearly the best--but I did really enjoy it, and it was certainly a good piece of entertainment. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Apr 30, 2016 |
Strange start, poor concept, exciting middle and strange ending. Not Melyzer's best by any means... ( )
  bell96 | Feb 2, 2016 |
Not great, but good enough to keep you interested. Deals with a few minor insiders playing with the legislative system of our country. Unlikely story evolves into an an unbelievable story but manages to keep your interest ( )
  brucemmoyer | Aug 9, 2015 |
could not get into it. Congressional pages betting and doing stupid actions. Not believable to me.
  GENEBOOKY | May 3, 2013 |
In Mr. Meltzer usual way, he has written another page turner with twists, turns and suspense. Set in DC, you can envision this scenario happening. Would make a great movie. ( )
  alwaysbooktime | Apr 1, 2013 |

Brad Meltzerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Knuuttila, OutiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If the American people found out what was going on there,
they would tear it down brick by brick.
Howard R. Ryland
Capital police officer
On Congress
...the real problem is that government is boring..
P. J. O'Rourke
For Jonas,
my son,
who holds my hand,
tugs me along,
and takes me on the most
cherished adventure of all
I don't belong here.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446612111, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times bestselling author of The Millionaires and The First Counsel returns to Wash-ington, D.C., with the story of an insider's game that turns deadly.

Matthew Mercer and Harris Sandler are best friends who have plum jobs as senior staffers to well-respected congressmen. But after a decade in Washington, idealism has faded to disillusionment, and they're bored. Then one of them finds out about the clandestine Zero Game. It starts out as good fun-a simple wager between friends. But when someone close to them ends up dead, Harris and Matthew realize the game is far more sinister than they ever imagined-and that they're about to be the game's next victims. On the run, they turn to the only person they can trust: a 16-year-old Senate page who can move around the Capitol undetected. As a ruthless killer creeps closer, this idealistic page not only holds the key to saving their lives, but is also determined to redeem them in the process. Come play The Zero Game-you can bet your life on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

Bored and disillusioned with their jobs as senior staffers to a respected congressman, Matthew Mercer and Harris Sandler become involved in the clandestine Zero Game, but when someone close to them turns up dead, they discover the sinister intent of the "game" and realize that they are intended to become the game's next victims.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,885,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible