A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom…

A History of the World in 6 Glasses (2005)

by Tom Standage

alcohol (39) anthropology (12) beer (72) beverages (71) Coca-Cola (36) coffee (75) Coke (11) cola (13) cultural history (23) culture (26) drinking (18) drinks (37) ebook (7) food (92) food and drink (18) food history (23) history (306) Kindle (15) liquor (13) non-fiction (185) read (19) social history (10) sociology (9) spirits (30) tea (73) to-read (34) unread (13) wine (78) wishlist (11) world history (33)

English (38)  Spanish (1)  All languages (39)
The author begins with the premise that the various drinks which have been popular throughout history have actually driven history.
Although this didn't reveal much new about world history, it certainly contained a lot of interesting facts about beverages throughout history and how their popularity affected politics and civilization. The chapters on Coca-Cola were a surprise to me, never having thought of that as a world changing beverage. This is not the end-all book of information on the subject, but a nice wrap-up and overview.
Certainly a pleasant way to pass the time, although I did find it necessary to have a cold beverage nearby while reading. The narrator did a fine job, at times it sounded as if he was clenching his teeth, but maybe that is a regional style of speech. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Jun 6, 2014 |
This was the May book club pick for The Kitchen Reader. Because of the title of the book, I wondered if it would read like a text book. It didn’t. It reads like a novel, and because of that I zooomed through it. I really enjoyed learning how different types of drinks helped shape the world from as early as the Stone Age. This book is full of information that was new to me since I have never thought about how the drinks we enjoy today came to be, or the difference they made in the lives of our ancestors.

The chapters are:

10. Tea Power

Coca-Cola And The Rise Of America
11. From Soda To Cola
12. Globalization In A Bottle

And the epilogue is Back To The Source (water)

I thought about adding a few facts to my review, but I think if this is a subject you’re interested in, you would much more enjoy reading the book and absorbing all the info for each drink. I highly recommend the book. I don’t think you’ll regret reading it.

Very very interesting! ( )
  VickiLN | May 30, 2014 |
This was a pretty good look at the history surrounding a lot of popular drinks. I liked the look at ho many of our drinks (like beer) have been used throughout history. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |
This was my second attempt at reading this book. My first was thwarted by me starting the book believing I could renew it and then when attempting to, someone had placed a hold on it. And that happened again this time! So the last chapter was read in haste. I liked it! Full of engrossing facts about all sorts of things, not just liquids. Makes me want to drink more of each (excluding coffee, which I don't like). Anywho, good times. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
Fun little book. I'm always a sucker for popular science and history books, so this one was right up my alley. A little lighter than I generally like, but don't let the three stars put you off; this was a fast, fun, informative read. ( )
  benjamin.duffy | Jul 28, 2013 |

Tom Standageprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Runnette, SeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
Thirst is deadlier than hunger.

Throughout human history, certain drinks have done much more than just quench thirst. As Tom Standage relates with authority and charm, six of them have had a surprisingly pervasive influence on the course of history, becoming the defining drink during a pivotal historical period.

A History of the World in 6 Glasses tells the story of humanity from the Stone Age to the 21st century through the lens of beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and cola. Beer was first made in the Fertile Crescent and by 3000 B.C.E. was so important to Mesopotamia and Egypt that it was used to pay wages. In ancient Greece, wine became the main export of her vast seaborne trade, helping spread Greek culture abroad. Spirits such as brandy and rum fueled the Age of Exploration, fortifying seamen on long voyages and oiling the pernicious slave trade. Although coffee originated in the Arab world, it stoked revolutionary thought in Europe during the Age of Reason, when coffeehouses became centers of intellectual exchange. And hundreds of years after the Chinese began drinking tea, it became especially popular in Britain, with far-reaching effects on British foreign policy. Finally, though carbonated drinks were invented in 18th-century Europe, they became a 20th-century phenomenon, and Coca-Cola in particular is the leading symbol of globalization.

For Tom Standage, each drink is a different kind of technology, a catalyst for advancing culture by which he demonstrates the intricate interplay of different civilizations. You may never look at your favorite beverage the same way again.

From beer to Coca-Cola, the six drinks that have helped shape human history

A History of the World in 6 Glasses tells the story of humanity from the Stone Age to the 21st century through the lens of beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and cola. Beer was first made in the Fertile Crescent and by 3000 B.C.E. was so important to Mesopotamia and Egypt that it was used to pay wages. In ancient Greece wine became the main export of her vast seaborne trade, helping spread Greek culture abroad. Spirits such as brandy and rum fueled the Age of Exploration, fortifying seamen on long voyages and oiling the pernicious slave trade. Although coffee originated in the Arab world, it stoked revolutionary thought in Europe during the Age of Reason, when coffeehouses became centers of intellectual exchange. And hundreds of years after the Chinese began drinking tea, it became especially popular in Britain, with far-reaching effects on British foreign policy. Finally, though carbonated drinks were invented in 18th-century Europe they became a 20th-century phenomenon, and Coca-Cola in particular is the leading symbol of globalization.

For Tom Standage, each drink is a kind of technology, a catalyst for advancing culture by which he demonstrates the intricate interplay of different civilizations. You may never look at your favorite drink the same way again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:39 -0400)

Presents a comprehensive history of beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and cola from ancient times through to the twenty-first century, and discusses their individual importance throughout the centuries to culture and society.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,233,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible