Looking for Jake: And Other Stories by China…

Looking for Jake: And Other Stories

by China Miéville

I very much disliked these short stories. Generally there was an interesting idea behind them, but there was little in the way of plot or structure, and the writing wasn't special.

The novella at the end was better, but still not satisfying. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |

I've read most of Miéville's novels, but hadn't come across much of his short fiction except insofar as it has been nominated for various awards. This was a good set of stories, mostly leaning towards horror, mostly set in contemporary London (one set in New Crobuzon). There's a lot of very effective writing and scene-setting - I particularly liked the short story told through correspondence and diary entries about a wandering street. Nothing that quite grabbed me by the throat, but all very pleasing. ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 28, 2013 |
I liked this book less than his Bas-Lag novels. He is a brilliant writer, but these stories seemed a little uneven, less flamboyantly inventive, less polished. I enjoyed them, but was also disappointed. And, I must say, my interested in his creative process helped to hold my attention to the end as much as the actual qualities of the stories themselves. ( )
  mermind | Aug 7, 2013 |
Looking for Jake 3
Foundation
The ball room
Reports of certain events in London
Familiar
Entry taken from a medical encyclopaedia
Details
On the way to the front
The tain 22 ( )
  SChant | Jun 11, 2013 |
To Jake
I don't know how I lost you.
This is the collection "Looking for Jake" by China Mieville.

Contains the following stories:
"Looking for Jake"
"Foundation"
"The Ball Room" (co-written with Emma Bircham and Max Schaefer
"Reports of Certain Events in London"
"Familiar"
"Entry Taken from a Medical Encyclopedia"
"Details"
"Go Between"
"Different Skies"
"An End to Hunger"
"'Tis the Season"
"Jack"
"On the Way to the Front" (illustrated by Liam Sharp)
"The Tain"

What William Gibson did for science fiction, China Miéville has done for fantasy, shattering old paradigms with fiercely imaginative works of startling, often shocking, intensity. Now from this brilliant young writer comes a groundbreaking collection of stories, many of them previously unavailable in the United States, and including four never-before-published tales–one set in Miéville’s signature fantasy world of New Crobuzon. Among the fourteen superb fictions are

“Jack”–Following the events of his acclaimed novel Perdido Street Station, this tale of twisted attachment and horrific revenge traces the rise and fall of the Remade Robin Hood known as Jack Half-a-Prayer.

“Familiar”–Spurned by its creator, a sorceress’s familiar embarks on a strange and unsettling odyssey of self-discovery in a coming-of-age story like no other.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:40 -0400)

"What William Gibson did for science fiction, China Mieville has done for fantasy, shattering old paradigms with fiercely imaginative works of startling, often shocking, intensity. Now from this brilliant young writer comes a groundbreaking collection of stories, many of them previously unavailable in the United States, including four never-before-published tales - one set in Mieville's signature fantasy world of New Crobuzon."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,242,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible