The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

35,442273117 (4.39)2 / 1946
Member:Lman
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:
Collections:eBook, Books Mooched, Read and given away
Tags:Collins Suzanne 01, SF - Science fiction / Fantasy, YA, The Hunger Games series

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: survival skills,thinking your way out of a problem
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White (theexiledlibrarian, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are young adult reality TV dystopias, but in very different ways. In Surviving Antarctica, the reality show is the last chance the protagonists have to earn money for an education - and despite initial hopes that they will be looked after, they soon realize that their lives matter only as much as their ratings.… (more)

English (2,681)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (17)  German (11)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,758)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a bool filled with action, tragedy, friend, romance, tactics, and plot twists. The Hunger Games is about 24 'tributes' who have to fight to the death in an arena and the last one standing wins the Hunger Games. There are 12 districts and each year they would randomly select 2 teenagers, one boy and one girl, from each of the 12 districts in whats called a reaping to go into an arena and fight to the death, on live television. Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl, little 12 year old sister got reaped. Katniss knew that her little sister wouldn't survive that long so she volunteered to take her place, becoming the first volunteer in district 12. The poorest district of them all. The boy that got reaped was Peeta Mallark her soon to be 'lover'. Each district met in the capitol and trained for 2 weeks. Peeta had a major crush on Katniss for years. He announced that during the interviews. Katniss was a skill hunter and was amazing at bow and arrow and got an amazing score in the overall training sessions. She got the highest our of everyone even the careers, district 1 and 2. They are the richest of the 12 districts and about the snobbiest. Haymitch, Katniss and Peetas mentor, had gave them advice not to go for the weapons or guns first because its just a trick and its the easiest way to die. When they were in the arena they followed that order. Katniss almost got killed by Clove the girl from 2. But she manage to escape and hide. Katniss found it most useful to sleep in the trees. During the first night while the careers were out looking for her she the realized that Peeta was amongst the career pack. A fire had lead her closer to the careers when she was as far from them as possible. The careers, along with Peeta, chased her to a tree. Luckily none of them could climb as well as her. The fire that chased her to the careers burned her leg and she was in extreme pain but a parachute dropped, a device that comes through the air from a sponser with something your in desperate need of.

I give the this book 4 stars. Because at times it was a little confusing, but it would explain later on. It had a lot of plot twist and strong friendship. There was a bit of romance but not to much which made it a great novel. I loved the humor and suspense. I also loved Katniss's guts and how she wasn't afraid to be herself. Unlike most kids her age. She is strong, fearless, selfless, and amazing, and I wish more kids now a days were like that. ( )
  BriannaM.B1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Grudgingly giving this one more star because I don't hate it quite as much as I did the first time round. Still a pretty bad book. Also Katniss is the worst, still.

***

First review, November 2010:

What is the point in this book?

Seriously. This book is completely pointless. It's garbage. I have no idea who on earth it's aimed at. Teenagers in the age range should surely be reading 1984 or Brave New World if they're wanting to start off with some dystopian literature? I'm not even fond of Brave New World, but surely it's a better start than this. Because this is just a MESS. For a start, the writing is dreadful. To be fair, YA literature is not always a bastion of good writing - 90% of it is crap, actually - but this... this stood out. It was hilariously bad. I mean, most of the time I write blogs/reviews/whatever in the middle of the night and I'm more than aware that my syntax/grammar/spelung often suffers for that. But this got PUBLISHED. Even though it could have been written on the back of a cereal packet. With a crayon. It has that weird feeling of being about things that are in no way suitable for children, but having been written with the general vocabulary, clumsiness, and awkwardness of someone with a writing level of a ten-year old.

Then there's the characters. Katniss (fun note: Katniss is a plant, also called Arrowhead. Katniss-the-character is good at archery. Excuse me while I KILL MYSELF) is just rubbish. She is. She's not a convincing human being at all. Pretty much her only attributes are that she: a. runs about, b. shoots things, c. if faced with a choice, will do the stupid thing. Everything about her is irritating. Nothing about her is remotely sympathetic, and mostly, I just hoped she would hurry up and get killed. I also find the way she treats Peeta (another flaming stupid name - try saying that without sounding like a three-year old trying to say Peter) annoying. While he's a horrible "Mary Sue" - for want of a better expression - he's at least trying to be nice to her. But Katniss isn't very good with people being nice to her, or nasty to her, or anything to her. I kind of imagine Katniss a bit like my dog. My dog doesn't like people much, despite the fact that everyone loves him. He doesn't even like my boyfriend, who loves dogs and despairs at this fact. He ignores people, runs away from them, and generally acts like the majority of people who don't live in my house are not in fact there - he only acknowledges us because we are the BRINGERS OF FOOD. This is because my dog is a grumpy bastard. The only things he does like are food, water, sleeping and pissing everywhere, much like Katniss (I may be exaggerating here, but you get the gist). Thing is, my dog's adorable and fuzzy and sometimes if you're lucky he'll sleep on your feet and heat them up (but not because he likes you). Katniss doesn't even have the courtesy to do that. She's just. There. Being shit and grumpy.

Anyway. Back to something vaguely resembling the topic at hand. The plot is a horrible cliche. It's painful. I read the first two yesterday, and am a few chapters into the third one, and I'm yet to discover if Collins has ever had an original thought. There's no character that isn't drawn with broad brushstrokes, no character that behaves remotely believably, just... nothing to like about this book. Also there's no sense of humour about the thing at all, and while often I CAN get over this, it's about the only thing that would have redeemed this from the heep. I don't really know why I'm still reading, except to confirm that what I think happens at the end does happen. I know that's what the internet is for, but I seem to be a glutton for punishment. Just... don't bother. It's not worth your time. There is nothing good here. Read anything else instead. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This was an amazing book. Held my attention from beginning to end. It had some really devastating moments where I had to take a break to compose myself.

it is the kind of book where you know people are going to die and try not to get attached to them, but in the end your heart breaks anyway. I am not sure I will be able to watch the movie cause it will be even worse!

I might need a day or two before I move on to the next book in the trilogy! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
The Hunger Games- The main characters in this book are Katniss, Peta, Hamage, Ru, Seine and Effie. Katniss Everdean lives in district 12. District 12 is the poorest district within the 1to 12 districts. District 12 has a reaping, and Prudence Everdean gets chosen. Katniss then shouts"I volunteer as tribute!" Then Peta gets selected. Katniss only has 5 minutes to say good-bye.
Katniss goes to the Capital and and get clean and then goes see Sina.Sina is Katniss's District 12 person to get her for the games and show her off in the beginning. Katniss is good with a bow.In training Hamage told Katniss not to show what she is good at. In the games, Katniss meets Ru. Ru is a tribute from District 11, and her and Katniss are friends, but then a boy from District 2 kills Ru with a spear. Katniss and Peta win the games,and get to go home.
  Emmac.B1 | Oct 18, 2014 |
RGG: First in a sci-fi trilogy with the main character a strong-minded teenage girl able to survive the ultimate survival game. Great read if very violent.
  rgruberexcel | Oct 16, 2014 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Children selectedAgainst nature and young foesArena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peets
Compete in the Hunger Games:
One winner allowed.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible