The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

37,952288116 (4.38)2 / 2046
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (writecathy, bethielouwho)

English (2,810)  Spanish (25)  Dutch (17)  German (12)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,895)
Yes, I sure waited long enough to get around to reading this... I wasn't interested in reading this book or its sequels when it first came out, and so I was left wondering what all the fuss was about when it became popular and gained a movie adaptation, fan following, and even a few parodies. I even watched the movie adaptation of "Catching Fire," though I was left horribly confused given that I hadn't read any of the books or seen the first movie beforehand. So I figured it was inevitable that I'd need to read the series for myself, and after friends and family members recommended the series to me I finally gave in and set about to reading the trilogy.

The verdict? While not a masterpiece or the best series I've ever read, "The Hunger Games" is an enjoyable, fast-paced book, and I'm eager to complete the sequels.

The world of "The Hunger Games" is Panem, a nation built from the ruins of the North American continent after a series of unspecified disasters has obliterated society as we know it. Panem is made up of twelve districts (formerly thirteen before a disastrous revolution destroyed District 13 and subjugated the rest) that lay under the tyrannical rule of the decadent Capitol, and the titular Hunger Games are part of their ongoing schemes to further quell the districts. Every year on the "reaping," each district must send a boy and a girl to compete in the Games, where all the children and teens must hunt one another until only one is left standing. When young poacher Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take her sister's place in the Games, she knows she's going to her death, but is determined to do all she can to last as long in the Games as possible. But as the deadly Games progress, opponents die, alliances are forged, and truths revealed, Katniss realizes that it's possible that she can survive and win... but will the cost be worth it?

The writing style of this book isn't exactly special -- it's competent, and does a good job of drawing us into the action and moving events along at a swift but not breakneck pace. And Collins has built a world that makes logical sense, a world that draws on the Empire of ancient Rome, classic dystopian stories, and perhaps most frighteningly our own age of the ignorant excess and decadence of the upper classes and the tawdry entertainment of reality television. Perhaps the story isn't terribly original -- "Battle Royale" is often cited as a source of plagiarism, though there are also shades of "Brave New World," "1984," and "The Most Dangerous Game" -- but it's told entertainingly, and the Games, with their glamorous and entertaining surface concealing the ugly reality, are a fascinating aspect of the futuristic culture.

Collins does a decent job with the characters as well, for the most part. Katniss feels like a realistic heroine, one who has suffered loss and hardship as a citizen of the districts and is grimly determined to do what's necessary to survive even as she struggles to adapt to the life of ease and glamour that is the Capitol. The supporting cast is made up of plenty of colorful characters, and I found myself enjoying many of them -- the cantankerous and liquor-loving former champion Haymitch, the brainless but efficient Effie Trinket, the calmly dignified fashionista Cinna, and the tiny but resourceful champion of District 11 Rue. (I ended up liking that last character enough that I sort of wish SHE had won the Games...)

Of course, as is pretty much a prerequisite of YA novels anymore, Katniss is caught up in a love triangle -- her best friend Gale at home, and her fellow District 12 tribute Peeta. Both boys are curiously bland, without much to give them characterization save their relationship with Katniss. I wonder if future books will give them more in the way of actual personality, though that should have been established in this book.

One other problem I have with this book is the muttations (that's not a typo) -- hybrid animals created by the government for war purposes or to inflict on the players in the Games. While I'm not against using these creatures in fiction (even if muttations is a rather stupid name), and actually liked the jabberjays, mockingjays, and tracker jackers, it was the final beast released in the arena that was ridiculous enough to jar me out of the story. I won't spoil further, but it felt like a weird inclusion that shook me out of the world of the book and made me go "okay, that's stupid." When I have this moment while reading a book, I know something's wrong with what I'm reading...

While not a masterpiece, "The Hunger Games" is a fun read, and if you're not yet burned out on the genre of YA dystopia, give it a try. It's an exciting ride all the way through, and I'm diving right into the sequel. ( )
  chasebush | Nov 27, 2015 |
Superb ( )
  Steve.Davies | Nov 27, 2015 |
This book certainly lived up to all the hype!

I wasn't too keen on reading this book as it under the "dystopia" genre, and I generally am usually not impressed with those kind of books but The Hunger Games was completely different to what I was expecting.

The story is so absorbing it is literally impossible to put the book down, the only things I could possibly grumble about were the use of the mutt mutations of all the fallen tributes. !?! too far-fetched for my liking, and also Kat's complete unawareness and denial of Peeta's feelings towards her. That annoyed me.

Regardless, the description and story was AMAZING - and all the different characters were really developed and engaging. I can not wait to read the rest of the series!

Right, now to watch the movie adaptation! ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
This book had beyond exceeded my expectations. After hearing all of the hype for so long my expectations were already set pretty high but somehow Collins exceeded them. This book has you at the edge of your seat and has you hooked until the very end. The balance between romance and action is very well done as well. It is a unique story that plays off of so many different emotions! It is a great read! ( )
  teddysiegel | Nov 5, 2015 |
The book is always better (of course) but in this case, the movie had no chance; as a film medium, it just can't get the same message across. In the book, we understand that Katniss is playing things up for the camera, that everything she feels/does is filtered through the lens of being watched and fighting for her life, and that she's disgusted by the audience watching her -- all things that are nearly impossible to convey to... well, an audience watching her. Jennifer Lawrence actually does a fantastic job conveying the right blank-face disgust and terror.

I've held back on watching the other movies, because I don't want to spend the rest of the series comparing the two (hey, it worked for LotR!)

If you liked the movie, you'll like the book. It's got a little of everything: fighting, survival, romance, a little bit of a psychological thrill (like a spy novel), family drama, and pageantry -- but definitely heavy on the fighting and survival.

Fast-paced without being ridiculous or confusing. The romance elements are honest and don't have any real resolution.

It's nothing groundbreaking, but I really appreciated the detail and honesty given to Katniss' relationships -- they're allowed to be conflicted and confusing. She doesn't understand the motives behind her own actions, especially when it comes to Peeta.

Least favorites
Suddenly werewolves? Or something? I can see why they cut that out of the movie.

Writing style
Easily accessible, descriptive, just the tiniest bit cheesy. Lots of flashbacks. ( )
  Andibook | Nov 2, 2015 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)
The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.
As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
Death of young children
Make a book and a movie
Oh well, When in Rome
Katniss and Peets
Compete in the Hunger Games:
One winner allowed.

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,912,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible