The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2012)

by Suzanne Collins

Info:Large Print Press (2012), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 486 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:dystopia, fantasy, Jeannie, award winner

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: survival skills,thinking your way out of a problem
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (VaterOlsen)

English (2,674)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (17)  German (10)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,750)
This is not easy. The book was so useless and poorly written it nearly broke my heart to think that this mediocrity is so popular.

Well, let's do this:

The decision to tell this book in both first person and the present tense is a gimmick to pull the gullible into a limping narrative that could not work in the past tense. This shoves the reader into a narrow, if not tiresome, pov that dispenses with what the rest of us call prose and employs rather a line by line in-progress description of events that never show us anything. We are told this boring story with little regard for environment, coloration, or even useful description that might be used to draw even the slightly intellectual reader into this lame excuse for a narrative.

Oh, I know. The defenders will say, "it's just a kids book. Don't you have an imagination?"

I do. A big honken one. But there is some onus on the writer to make an effort at the suspension of my disbelief. I thought the Potter books were fantastic and well written.

If you enjoyed this book, good for you. But let's not pretend that it is anything more than a Nickelodeon script writers lame attempt at real art. As art goes, it's a big FAIL. Can you imagine the list of greats like this:

Tolkien, Zelazny, Rowling, Wolfe, Asimov...Collins?

Probably not.

If you insist on reading this book anyway, turn your brain off. It's the only way you're going to enjoy this edition of Crapsterpiece Theatre. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
A great book but I thought that Katniss got away and won without killing ruthlessly, she only killed in self-defense or indirectly. I was relieved when she told Peeta that the romance wasn't real for her. I want her to be with Gale, her relationship with him has a better chance of lasting. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH/DUTCH

I first read The Hunger Games in Dutch after my sister had bought it. At first I was a bit sceptic about the book. But after I read the first few pages I knew I was wrong. It was an amazing book! So, after reading the Dutch book (De Hongerspelen), I went to the bookstore to buy the original book (the English one), so I could read that as well.

The United States no longer excists. A new country, Panem, has taken it's place. We never get to know what actually happened to the USA, but they imply some sort of terrible world war killing almost everyone. Panem has a capital, called 'The Capital' and 13 (only 12 remain) districts around that city. The Capital rules over the districts and to demonstrate it's power every year there are so called Hunger Games. In these Games two children from every district will be drawn by the Reaping to fight the others in an arena on live television. There are 24 children in the arena each year and the Games aren't over till all but one are killed. Last man standing will win the Games and become very famous and rich. Katniss Everdeen takes her sister's place when her name was drawn at the Reaping to be this year's female Tribute in the 74th annual Hunger Games.

I don't want to reveal more of the story, it just nicer to read it all yourself. As I said before I really liked the Hunger Games. They are one of my all time favourites. The writing style of the English version was better in my opinion, so now I recommend the English one to all my friends. It's the first book of a trilogy, and I couldn't wait for the others book to be published. What I liked about it was that Suzanne Collins didn't give me the impression that she put everything she had came up with in the book. I got the idea that there was much more behind the story, namely, the things Collins didn't tell us. Now, I got the feeling that there was a whole world, and not only a story. (That last impression I sometimes got when reading Harry Potter). Needless to say that I think The Hunger Games are way better than Harry Potter.

I would love to recommend this book to everyone who wants to read a fantastic book! ( )
  Floratina | Sep 21, 2014 |
Okay, yeah, I'd heard a lot of hype about the Hunger Games trilogy. Mentions in the feminist blogosphere, analysis in Bitch magazine, some friends in social media. I resisted mostly because it's a series, and I hate to commit so much time, when there already so many books in the world to be read. Plus, once the commentary, really heated up, it was because the movie release was pending. And if I hadn't already read the book in the past, I'd rather watch the movie first Because, let's face it, the book is almost always better. So better to have my imagination somewhat pre-determined when reading the book than to have the book so fresh in mind as to be picking apart the movie without enjoying it. Better still to avoid getting sucked into three books in the first place, if it isn't going to be worth it.

It was worth it.

Immediately after watching the movie, I set about procuring the books from June, who'd mentioned she had them. I read them fast, in succession, all three, as non-stop as I could manage as the mother of two young boys with a pile of (a week's worth) of laundry to do, over the course of a few days. I will do my best to review them one at a time, without letting them blur too much.

I don't have to say that the books are engaging. The Hunger Games phenomenon wouldn't exist, otherwise. Katniss's cold pragmatism might have made her unrelatable as a protaganist, if not for the perfect backstory to secure our sympathies and not just explain, but justify her behavior. There were some world-building details that seemed false or excessive vague, but mostly in ways that were forgiveable for the sake of moving the story along for a young adult audience.

Most of the criticism of this book seems to lose sight of one important fact: Katniss was 16. By the end of most of the action in the third book, she's still only 17. So all of this "Katniss wasn't proactive enough," or "feminist enough," or somehow otherwise failed to personally destroy the entire mechanism of the Capitol all by her little lonesome in the first book is out of touch with reality. Or, at the very least, what it is to be a feminist character, book or film.

What makes Katniss remarkable is exactly what Peeta worries about on the eve of the Games. That she is always herself. She does not let them make her into something she is not. Even her "performance" in the caves, which seems out of character, is born out of both her pragmatism and her respect for the dignity of human life.

I am running out of things to say without spoilers. On to the next book!

greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
I fell in love with this book. Can't wait until the movie comes out March 23rd. ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Children selectedAgainst nature and young foesArena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peets
Compete in the Hunger Games:
One winner allowed.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,968,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible