The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2012)

by Suzanne Collins

41,173300516 (4.36)2 / 2253
Member:DrewSroczynski
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Large Print Press (2012), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 486 pages
Rating:*****

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (writecathy, bethielouwho)

English (2,938)  Spanish (26)  Dutch (18)  German (14)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (3)  All (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Latin (1)  Hungarian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (3,027)
In a futuristic world in shambles, on the ruined continent of North America, lies Panem, a country in shambles. Panem has 12 districts, each district sends two tributes, a boy and a girl, to fight for their district in a winner take all, fight to the death game that is televised to the country. The prize? The winning tribute ensures more food for his or her district. Follow Katniss Everdeen’s journey, when she volunteers to be a tribute in place of her sister for the underdog district 12 in the reality TV series known as The Hunger Games. Although I watched the movie first, I was very much into The Hunger Games. Although the plot is sometimes predictable due to me watching the movie first, I still was wrapped up in the book and some parts the movie missed had me stunned at times. I would use this book for above-average readers in an elementary library. The book would be very good to include for a book report.
  dennehycm32 | Feb 24, 2017 |
Man, they need to make this into a movie! I can't wait for the next one! ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
YA recommendation
  cartieraf1 | Feb 18, 2017 |
Some moments in this book deserve 4 or 5 star rating (lullaby). However, most of it doesn't. ( )
  Aneris | Feb 15, 2017 |
If you're not a young adult fan, but was intrigued by the concept - I'd recommend [b:Battle Royale|57891|Battle Royale|Koushun Takami|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266461715s/57891.jpg|2786327] instead. Much bloodier and pretty much exactly the same without romance (that I can remember; I can't remember a lot but I really liked that book too).

I am a fan of YA novels and romantic comedies and dystopian worlds and basically everything this novel is. I'm not a fan of outdoor adventures (was maybe the lone kid who wasn't a fan of Gary Paulson in elementary school), but Collins even makes those elements engaging. So I devoured it happily.

Only negative I have to say is that Katniss does nothing for me. She comes off as pretty dense and close minded if you ask me. So if you're someone who really needs to get into your protaganists, and a one-dimensional stock "girl who had a tough childhood, over-attached to her dead father, now has to face the big bad world herself" doesn't appeal to you - then you might not like this so much. ( )
  corywa | Feb 9, 2017 |
It’s an old trick but a very effective one. The only clumsy element of these scenes is an intermittent commentary provided by Stanley Tucci and Toby Jones, which fills in incidental story details in a brash ‘Basil Exposition’ way. When it pops up, it kills the momentum.

You need to try these games ..!
added by Ruswandi | editDesain Ruang Tamu Minimalis (Feb 11, 2017)

The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.
added by johnsmithsen | editio9, Charlie Jane Anders (Oct 14, 2008)

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

I thought this book was amazing. It was fast-paced and filled with action. I read this book in basically one sitting with an nap in the middle (granted it was during an 18 hour drive). It's the kind of book you can't put down. The plot line is fairly predictable, but there are still points where you want to throw the book screaming because it just not fair. While the books storyline is great, Suzanne's writing is also amazing. She draws you into the world flawlessly and holds your interest throughout the entire book. She also transitions smoothly back and forth between the present and flashbacks. Many of her characters are interesting and have fascinating stories. Since the book is written in a first person perspective you are always aware of Katniss's thoughts and feelings. Also for anyone familiar with mythology and Rome the Hunger Games feels like a combination of the fourteen youths who were sacrificed to the Minotaur in the labyrinth anually and the Colliseum.

As much as I loved this book, not everyone will love it. If you don't want to read about violence and death I suggest you steer clear of this. While death is always sad I think in this book it is especially depressing since children kill children. I have seen some people say that this book is just about violence and death, but I think ultimately it is a story about putting others before yourself and love

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peeta
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,642,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible