The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

35,437273417 (4.39)2 / 1948
Member:tracyhintz
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:SCi Fi

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: survival skills,thinking your way out of a problem
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Surviving Antarctica: Reality TV 2083 by Andrea White (theexiledlibrarian, Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are young adult reality TV dystopias, but in very different ways. In Surviving Antarctica, the reality show is the last chance the protagonists have to earn money for an education - and despite initial hopes that they will be looked after, they soon realize that their lives matter only as much as their ratings.… (more)

English (2,683)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (17)  German (11)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,760)
I must admit that I'm not a fan of books written in the present tense, so I probably wouldn't have chosen this in a book shop. I read it because a writing friend of mine hands the books she's read over so that I can read them and we can discuss them. She positively raved about it, and she's 72! She loved it.

I'm not so sure that I'm as in love with it as she is, but I did enjoy most of it.
The version I have has the cover embalzoned with quotes such as "constant suspense...I couldn't put it down" Stephen King. Well, I didn't find it that thrilling, and was never once so concerned about the lead character that I worried if she'd survive. I took it that she would, and the main thrust of reading on was the big question of 'how are you going to survive?'

It's a well written book and, although it's a fantasy novel, everything rings true with reality; such as basic survival techniques. ( )
  ToniAllenAuthor | Oct 30, 2014 |
Loved it! It had my complete attention from page 1! ( )
  JillNYC | Oct 26, 2014 |
I watched the movie before reading the book. I loved the movie. But my feelings for the book.. I have no words. Katniss Everdeen is my hero. She is amazing. I could not put this book down. I am currently reading the second book. Cannot wait to finish this trilogy! ( )
  jacole14 | Oct 26, 2014 |
Not as bad or as good as people had warned/enthused. A perfectly reasonable way to spend a day!

Dystopian elements checklist:

-New names for current geopolitical locations (The Districts, the Capital);
-Forced propaganda consumption, often about vanquished foes ("The only time you can count on [electricity] is when they’re airing the Games or some important government message on television that it’s mandatory to watch.");
-Constant surveillance ("I force myself to take deep, slow breaths, feeling quite certain the cameras are on my face. I can’t show weakness at this injury. Not if I want help.")
-Being forced to hide true emotions due to aforementioned constant surveillance ("I learned to hold my tongue and to turn my features into an indifferent mask so that no one could ever read my thoughts. Do my work quietly in school. Make only polite small talk in the public market. Discuss little more than trades in the Hob, which is the black market where I make most of my money. Even at home, where I am less pleasant, I avoid discussing tricky topics. Like the reaping, or food shortages, or the Hunger Games. Prim might begin to repeat my words and then where would we be?")
-Remaining true to yourself "inside" despite aforementioned hiding of true emotions ("'Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to . . . to show the Capitol they don’t own me. That I’m more than just a piece in their Games,' says Peeta.
'But you’re not,' I say. 'None of us are. That’s how the Games work.'
'Okay, but within that framework, there’s still you, there’s still me,' he insists. 'Don’t you see?')
-Ironic government slogans ("Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor")
-Scapegoat/victimize to consolidate power (The Games themselves)
-Everyday resistance ("At first one, then another, then almost every member of the crowd touches the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out to me. It is an old and rarely used gesture of our district, occasionally seen at funerals. It means thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love.")
-Organized resistance (District 13)
-Class structure, haves and have-nots (Districts v. Capitol; Seam v. merchants "…the glistening buildings in a rainbow of hues that tower into the air, the shiny cars that roll down the wide paved streets, the oddly dressed people with bizarre hair and painted faces who have never missed a meal.")
-New vocabulary (Avox, Tributes, Careers, the Stockyard, Peacekeepers)
-Remembering 'before' (allusions to implementation of Games due to rebellion) ( )
  behemothing | Oct 25, 2014 |
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a bool filled with action, tragedy, friend, romance, tactics, and plot twists. The Hunger Games is about 24 'tributes' who have to fight to the death in an arena and the last one standing wins the Hunger Games. There are 12 districts and each year they would randomly select 2 teenagers, one boy and one girl, from each of the 12 districts in whats called a reaping to go into an arena and fight to the death, on live television. Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl, little 12 year old sister got reaped. Katniss knew that her little sister wouldn't survive that long so she volunteered to take her place, becoming the first volunteer in district 12. The poorest district of them all. The boy that got reaped was Peeta Mallark her soon to be 'lover'. Each district met in the capitol and trained for 2 weeks. Peeta had a major crush on Katniss for years. He announced that during the interviews. Katniss was a skill hunter and was amazing at bow and arrow and got an amazing score in the overall training sessions. She got the highest our of everyone even the careers, district 1 and 2. They are the richest of the 12 districts and about the snobbiest. Haymitch, Katniss and Peetas mentor, had gave them advice not to go for the weapons or guns first because its just a trick and its the easiest way to die. When they were in the arena they followed that order. Katniss almost got killed by Clove the girl from 2. But she manage to escape and hide. Katniss found it most useful to sleep in the trees. During the first night while the careers were out looking for her she the realized that Peeta was amongst the career pack. A fire had lead her closer to the careers when she was as far from them as possible. The careers, along with Peeta, chased her to a tree. Luckily none of them could climb as well as her. The fire that chased her to the careers burned her leg and she was in extreme pain but a parachute dropped, a device that comes through the air from a sponser with something your in desperate need of.

I give the this book 4 stars. Because at times it was a little confusing, but it would explain later on. It had a lot of plot twist and strong friendship. There was a bit of romance but not to much which made it a great novel. I loved the humor and suspense. I also loved Katniss's guts and how she wasn't afraid to be herself. Unlike most kids her age. She is strong, fearless, selfless, and amazing, and I wish more kids now a days were like that. ( )
  BriannaM.B1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Children selectedAgainst nature and young foesArena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peets
Compete in the Hunger Games:
One winner allowed.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,504,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible