The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

34,829271019 (4.39)2 / 1932
Member:AmyKGrey
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Science fiction, mature, war, death, hunger, triumph, military, games, entertainment

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: survival skills,thinking your way out of a problem
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (VaterOlsen)

English (2,655)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (17)  German (10)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,731)
In post-apocalypse America is the nation of Panem, a Capital city with twelve outlying districts. Each year as part of the Capital's entertainment they put on the Hunger Games: a battle to the death between 24 children to be played on live TV with the winner earning extra food for their district for a year. The representatives are selected by lottery, one boy and one girl from each district. When Katniss hears her sister's name called she knew there was only one option - to take her place and fight in the Hunger Games herself.

Having not seen the movie I picked up a copy of the book out of curiosity while on vacation. It turned out to be a pretty good beach read. While this is Katniss' story I found myself feeling more for Peeta as things went on. Romance, action, an underdog story, I can see how this became so popular with the teen set. At some point I need to watch the movie as I'm curious how the book translates. While I enjoyed the book I don't find myself in a rush to finish the series. ( )
  Narilka | Aug 18, 2014 |
I've heard a lot about this & was pretty excited to find it on audio book. Maybe too excited because it was a bit of a let down. I saw the movie & it was OK The book was better in many ways, but suffered from 2 composition issues that were irritating; the reader, Carolyn McCormick, has too high of a voice for me, & the story is almost completely in first person present tense. McCormick's voice is well trained, the only saving grace, but it was like listening to one of the Chipmunks for hours on end.

I recently read an article where an author mentioned reading a manuscript that was all in the present tense ("I say" instead of "I said"). I believe the comment was that it was artsy, but wearing. I didn't really understand, until I listened to this & I agree completely. A friend suggested that it limited the character's, thus our understanding. We get the raw information before it has been processed. I think he's right, but it's not reason enough, IMO.

The world itself was simplified in an interesting way to break up civilization into districts that each performed one function. That wasn't too hard to swallow until the population of District 12 is given as 8000 people, all using 1 village, the entire coal producing area for the North American continent. That's just too few people & districts. It forced me to realize that it was an artificial device rather than a realistic future. As it was, it focused my attention on the improbability & didn't do the story any favors, especially in light of the practically magical science that is displayed. Beast clone/constructs created from the contestants in so short a time? The practical omniscient ability of the cameras to capture everything? Parachutes with gifts that seemed to always hit their mark, no matter what the weather or timing? Complete control of the weather to the point that a storm was switched off like a light? Practically magical, yet it played surprisingly well.

The main event are the children fighting to the death & that was very well done - 5 star material. The land was well used, the heroine well suited & believably trained. Her thought processes during the hunts & escapes were great. The author never crowded too much into the time or the characters. Everyone got tired, thirsty, & hungry. Their advantages & weaknesses were well used.

This is a YA book, so there was no sex, but hinged on romance, a very fine line to walk. Katniss was 16, a bit too old to believably pull this off. A year or two younger would have sat much better with me, especially given the complete lack of religion or any other moral structure within the book. That forces me to substitute my own & I can't imagine any 16 year old who runs around in the woods constantly with a boy not experimenting with sex. She knows him well enough to compare his warmth & heartbeat at one point, yet neither has even kissed. Completely unbelievable to me. They're nothing like any teenager of that age that I've known & I raised 3 not terribly long ago. Still, this wasn't a terrible suspension of belief, but it did nag at me consistently.

However, the romance was one of the main, best, & most suspenseful pieces of the story. It also added a layer of complexity that was truly wonderful & gave the story far more latitude than it otherwise would have had. Excellently done!

I really enjoyed the book until the end. I'd guess that the author or the editor suddenly decided this shouldn't be a stand-alone, but a trilogy because the final twist felt tacked on & was unrealistic. It not only carries, but becomes the reason for the next novel where it felt so contrived that I couldn't continue. For the Games Masters to suddenly reverse their decision for a single winner made no sense. While Katniss continually tells us the reason for the games is to rub the districts' collective noses in their position, it's obviously more complex than that. She's a kid & not a completely reliable narrator, especially in the area of politics. A win gives a district hope, throws the people a bone. I don't see the up side of such a decision.

If I swallow that they just made a bad decision - possible - I'm still facing the aftermath. Peeta is saved only by extraordinary means. Why would they bother? It would have been better for him to die, especially since this supposedly becomes a rallying point of insurrection. Instead, the Games department seems to be at odds with the dictator, President Snow. And, in the next book, Snow actually does his own dirty work, makes his own threats. Seriously? He has no left hand man or people on the inside in such a paranoid society? Even a senior Peace Keeper to give a warning about Katniss keeping up her act with Peeta? Please!

Anyway, the very end just hit me like a train wreck which was a shame. I'm going to give the next book, [b:Catching Fire|6148028|Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)|Suzanne Collins|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358273780s/6148028.jpg|6171458], a chance to wash away the bad taste. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
One star is gone for the entire first two chapters.

The other star is gone for lost opportunities.

The remaining three stars stay for a captivating, well-orchestrated story that I devoured in less than three days.

The first two chapters felt like they were written by an amateur and could have used a lot more editing. There was so much backstory thrown in with a very telling feeling and little showing. Not nearly enough action in the beginning. I only kept reading because I have seen the movie and knew the good stuff was coming.

Lost opportunities refer to the potential to start a revolution. The political and socio-political commentary in this book is subtle, too subtle. Books have the power to change the world and when gifted with a plot like this and then awarded with a platform like that she should have taken more opportunity to change the way teens think. If this world hopes to pull away from a decreasing value of life and an increasing value of mindless entertainment in any way that means anything this is where it starts.That being said, she has the opportunity to prove me wrong on this with the next two so hopefully when I read those Collins will redeem herself in my eyes.

Overall, though, a wonderful book with depth, meaning and staying power. I'd suggest it to a friend... if I had any friends left who haven't already read it. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I was disappointed. People like this book so much and I just didn’t get it. I didn’t care for Katniss and Peeta. I didn’t care if they die or not. To be honest, I wanted Peeta to be killed because he was so naive and pathetic it was driving me mad. I found myself totally not interested what the second book is about. I gave 4, but I think it’s too much. I will consider lowering the rate. ( )
  rienna | Aug 10, 2014 |
Dark and sometimes melodramatic, but engaging nevertheless. Katniss is an observant and sympathetic narrator, and this is such a convincing picture of a dystopia that one feels sympathy with the have-nots. I was relieved that Collins doesn't linger too much over the violence (unlike the wealthy, corrupt sickos of the Capitol who find it entertaining). The only part I didn't enjoy as much was the forming love triangle, which makes Katniss appear either like a heartless deceiver or the run-of-the-mill confused adolescent torn between two guys. I probably won't read the rest of the series since I know the plots get too dark for me, but I at least understand this phenomenon a little better now. ( )
  bostonian71 | Aug 8, 2014 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Children selectedAgainst nature and young foesArena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peets
Compete in the Hunger Games:
One winner allowed.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible