The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)…

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1) (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

41,515301415 (4.37)2 / 2280
Member:Wsbookshelf
Title:The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:fiction, young adult, dysopian

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Recently added byKeaton75, GeekGirlReads83, Shonya, phoibee, Amzzz, tlashayvance, private library, zuzene, amylou9195, nams55
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (writecathy, bethielouwho)

English (2,953)  Spanish (26)  Dutch (18)  German (15)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (3)  All (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Latin (1)  Hungarian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (3,043)
The book is written simply. But what made it good are the thrill and the original idea of the plot. It is about a war between the oppressed districts and the capitol, and a touch of love story.

What disappointed me was that in the story, the hunger games before Katniss were very intense so it made the 74th hunger games more fearful to the readers. When it was Katniss’ turn, however, it all fell right into place. I worried about her killing some tributes specially Peeta, Rue, face fox girl, and Thresh. I could not bear to know what will happen. But the other tributes and poison berries already did it for her. A little luck, I guess. And what about the “girl on fire”? Peeta was also on fire! Maybe she is more favorable to be the face of rebellion?

But don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan. Suzanne Collins is great on weaving the story in a perspective of the oppressed people in modern day. I love her idea of Panem, the capitol and the different set of districts with different characters and specialties. She vividly showed the situation of the helpless people in need and oppressed. And I like her concept of the Hunger Games.

I love the character of Katniss Everdeen being a girl and poor, breaking all the barriers and fighting for what is right. I’m very used to reading books with the boys do all the work! Nothing new in there. Katniss is so brave to volunteer for her sister Prim. Also, she is intelligent and very feisty not to just follow people dictating her what to do, act, decide things, and all those stuff.

Peeta Mellark on the other hand, is a little delicate. I know, a guy should not be associated with a word like “delicate” but he is. It is a compliment, some girls like a goody two shoes with a heart. I know, I do. haha. He is a sensitive guy who has principles like he doesn't want to be seen as ‘just a piece in their games’. But even if he strong, he might not survived the hunger games. He just lay there for some freaking days. Good thing, the gamekeepers did not drive some tracker jackers or mutated species in him because they tend to make the tributes closer to fight as much as possible. A little luck again, I guess.

I love the unrequited love of Peeta. I think it is very sweet. Also, the revelation that the father of Peeta being in love with Katniss’ mother. That explains why he is kind to them.

I somewhat pity Gale Hawthorne, being in love with Katniss. But he had a chance, a very big chance! Katniss likes him before hunger games, she even proposed to runaway with him. Moreover, he had years to tell her he loves her and the little goodbye they had before she left for hunger games, he should have at least told her. You know, when you’re in love with someone who has a little chance of living, wouldn’t you tell her/him? yeah, i like Peeta more

It was very smart and brave of Katniss to attempt suicide with Peeta. Luckily, Seneca Crane declared them to win. Maybe it was really destined that good overcomes bad. What can I say? The odds were clearly in their favors. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
Some moments in this book deserve 4 or 5 star rating (lullaby). However, most of it doesn't. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
Definitely not for elementary students, but for a junior high level this book would be a great book to discuss in class focusing on the role of government and compare and contrast with governments of countries of the world. Since the characters in the book are around junior high to high school age, I feel this book would be easy for students to connect with and foster great conversations after each student has read the book. ( )
  GaryJohnson5 | Apr 18, 2017 |
This book would be read individually by each student within the classroom. I would most likely not have my students read this in elementary school, but most likely would in a middle school. For 8th grade students recently learning more about the role of America's government and how it functions and works, this book would be perfect for comparing and contrasting. As we read the book, students could write down aspects of the Capitol's government and how it differs from our Democratic government in America. In a 7th grade classroom, the students could choose one character throughout the book to focus on. These students would then write notes and details about this character as the story progresses. After reading the book, the students will write how their character has changed from the beginning to the middle to the end of the book for practice in character analysis.
  kkminime | Apr 18, 2017 |
This book would work well in an 8th grade class when discussing government. I would have the students fill out a graphic organizer while reading and after the completion of this book. This graphic organizer will have to sides and each student will have to fill in about the role of our government and about the role of the capitol in Hunger Games. They will have to write down characteristics of the role such as how they provide security, what is its common goal, etc. To understand the motives behind another type of government, even if it is fictional, can help the students understand more about how our government stands out from others. Another use for this book would be in a 7th grade class when discussing character development. Students fill out another organzer about one character they choose regarding their characteristics at the beginning, middle, and end of the story.
  JMudd | Apr 18, 2017 |
It’s an old trick but a very effective one. The only clumsy element of these scenes is an intermittent commentary provided by Stanley Tucci and Toby Jones, which fills in incidental story details in a brash ‘Basil Exposition’ way. When it pops up, it kills the momentum.

You need to try these games ..!

The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.
added by johnsmithsen | editio9, Charlie Jane Anders (Oct 14, 2008)

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

on the ruined continent of North America, lies Panem, a country in shambles. Panem has 12 districts, each district sends two tributes, a boy and a girl, to fight for their district in a winner take all, fight to the death game that is televised to the country. The prize? The winning tribute ensures more food for his or her district. Follow Katniss Everdeen’s journey, when she volunteers to be a tribute in place of her sister for the underdog district 12 in the reality TV series known as The Hunger Games. Although I watched the movie first, I was very much into The Hunger Games.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peeta
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,780,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible