The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)…

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1) (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

41,644301515 (4.36)2 / 2286
Member:gpangel
Title:The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:young adult, kindle lending library

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Recently added byrsparks525, TheBookStop, Jade5, private library, Colin_CC, julia.703, Jed_K, nx74defiant, demetri1968
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (writecathy, bethielouwho)

English (2,950)  Spanish (26)  Dutch (18)  German (15)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (3)  All (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Latin (1)  Hungarian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (3,040)
I put this on my "to read" list after hearing about it, and my wife said it drew her in. When I started it, I immediately didn't like it, but persevered and soon, it drew me in also. So much so that I read it in one day. I'm not sure about the sequels (which will wait until I read a few others already in the queue), but it was an interesting read. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Audiobook performed by Carolyn McCormick

In a future dystopian world, in what used to be the United States, the people are starving, and are used by the Capital as pawns in an annual competition: The Hunger Games. All children from age 12 through 18 have their names entered in a drawing to pick the two tributes – one boy, one girl – who will represent each of the twelve districts in the country of Panem; the twenty-four contestants will fight to the death on live TV. When 12-year-old Prim’s name is selected, her 16-year-old sister Katniss immediately volunteers to take her place.

I had heard much about this book, with many friends recommending it to me, but dystopian novels are not high on my list of must-reads and I put it off. I haven’t seen the movie(s) either.

Collins writes well, and does a good job of setting up this dystopian society, explaining how it works and the challenges faced by the residents. I was drawn into the story and invested in Katniss as the heroine from the beginning. I liked how Collins set up the televised aspect of the games, and perhaps readers will recognize how much of “reality” TV is manipulated and created by the producers.

What I really liked was the strong female heroine. Katniss is resilient, intelligent, resourceful, physically and mentally strong. She is a survivor, having learned from her father how to hunt and gather plants in the wild to help supplement the family’s diet. Since her father died, she’s been the primary source of food for her mother and younger sister. This gives her an edge over other contestants who have not had to struggle for every day survival.

Collins doesn’t make it easy for Katniss, putting her in danger from the natural world (lack of water, poisonous plants, deadly wasps), the Gamemakers who invent ways to force the contestants together, and the other tributes intent on eliminating the competition. I appreciated the untenable position she’s placed in and applauded her efforts to maintain some sense of humanity when forced to “kill or be killed.”

Collins also adds a love interest in her fellow District 12 tribute: Peeta, the baker’s son who as a young boy saved her from starvation by throwing her a burnt loaf of bread. While I appreciate that this adds to the drama and appeal for the intended YA audience, it did nothing for me. I felt as if Collins was doing just what the Gamemakers were doing – manipulating events to boost ratings.

What really annoyed me … and lost a star … was the cliff-hanger ending. Don’t get me wrong. I’m perfectly fine with ambiguous endings that let the reader wonder and surmise what will happen next (e.g. “After all, tomorrow is another day.” From Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind). But Collins (or the publisher) chose to add “End of Book One,” an obvious set-up for readers to purchase Book Two to find out what happens. I’m certainly in no hurry to continue … though I may read the next one if I have a challenge for a dystopian novel.

Carolyn McCormick does a great job performing the audio version. She has great pacing and was able to make the various characters easily identifiable. I particularly loved how she voiced Effie Trinket and Haymitch Abernathy. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | May 22, 2017 |
I'm glad I read it. I can see why it's popular. I'm sure it will be a movie. It is a great example of what it is: a book for young readers that one hopes will result in more people realizing how much fun a good book can be. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
I am a pretty blessed person. One of the blessings I have is friends who love to read. Half the books I read I wouldn't have read without the suggestion of my friends.

My Long Distance BFF, Tina, suggested The Hunger Games to me; and I think it's her best suggestion so far. I immediately fell into this story. I had a very, very hard time putting this book down. It is, hands down, everything that Stephenie Meyers wishes her books (all of them) could be.

The characters, the setting, the plot, it's all so good, so real, so possible. It's a mix of "Logan's Run", "Brave New World", and "The Handmaid's Tale".

I don't think my review of this book will be very good. I'm still digesting it's goodness after two days; not to mention that I've started reading book two in the series and it's JUST as good! Let me try to scale it down some.

1. I really like the character of Katniss, the lead and protagonist of the story. My boss said the she thinks Katniss is an anti-hero, but I'm not so sure. A reluctant hero, yes, but maybe not an anti-hero.

Katniss is 16 but her angst isn't regular teenage angst. It's mature before her time angst. Even though her mom is the town healer, Katniss is the adult in the small family that includes her mom and little sister Prim. Katniss is smart. She's street smart, she's a hunter. She is responsible. She doesn't go from smart girl to mushy girl because a boy gives her the eye. She doesn't understand her emotions when she is faced with love. But it doesn't undo her.

Katniss is her own hero, whether she realizes it or not.

2. The Districts and the Government are very possible. Before the end of the Cold War, we saw what the communist government in Russia and surrounding countries did to the people. We see what is happening in Libya, Greece, Egypt, Iran, and North Korea the way the government can control the lives of the people. There is not just a divide between those who have and those who have not, it is a gulf. Food is scarce. Jobs are not just jobs but almost indentured servitude. The government controls the media and communication. Marshall law is power. Sound familiar? Not just fiction, but happening today.

3. The idea that the winners of the games suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - The character Haymitch is a drunk who has no family and no friends. He's a former victor of the games and has had to spend the years following his turn through the games mentoring kids - all of whom died in the games. How could someone not be scarred by that. It's not glossed over, Haymitch is a central character and his issues are real.

Something I was thinking about today - Katniss almost seems like a Moses character with Peeta being Aaron. In the Bible, God calls Moses to save the people in Egypt. But Moses tells God that he is afraid to be the speaker of God's word to the people, to lead them and instruct them. But God says that Moses has a brother, Aaron, who can do that for him. Katniss and Peeta are similar. Katniss has the power and Peeta has the words. I wonder if I'm reading too much into the story, but parts of the book - especially when the characters are in the arena - remind me much of "Lord of the Flies" whose characters were heavily compared to people in the Bible.

Regardless, the book is marvelously written. The characters, the different Districts, the Capitol, the people in the different areas - it's all thought out so well and executed to perfection. The Districts themselves feel like characters.

This is a book I suggest to anyone who likes to read - flat out, if you like to read then you absolutely must read this book. I hope that it will become a classic some day. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
This book was a great read. I have read it four times in about 6 years and I think it is an empowering book for young adults that feel as if they cannot make a change in the world. They can. ( )
  maddiesullivan223 | Apr 28, 2017 |
As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peeta
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible