The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:YA, dystopia

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix (writecathy, bethielouwho)

English (2,831)  Spanish (25)  Dutch (17)  German (12)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,917)
My wife says this is NOT a young adult novel. She's a librarian with a graduate specialization in youth literature, so I believed her even before I read it. Having now seen the brutality myself, I understand her critique that, really, the only reason this isn't considered adult fiction is that the protagonist is a teenager. Which is a pretty stupid reason to pigeonhole a book into an age group, publishers.

But then I try to imagine this novel as an adult book -- or, at least, one seriously marketed for adults -- and I can't quite see it in that light, either. The story is terrific, the themes classical, the violence (while, frankly, pretty tame) tense, and the sexuality (VERY tame) intriguing. This book was definitely a page-turner, and I found a lot to like here in terms of plot and character.

But the writing is plain, cliché-ridden, and rather pedestrian. That surprised me. With the rave reviews of the book, I've expected more complicated prose. With the comments and criticisms about all the violence, I'd expected hard, gut-wrenched descriptions. With the complex science fiction universe unfolding in this series, I'd expected some evolutionary cleverness with the syntax.

Okay, sure, Katniss is a hard-as-nails young girl from a poor District whose prose might not be very florid (though that doesn't stop the "simple-minded" country folk in Faulkner's work or Hemingway's war-hardened manly men from expressing themselves poetically). And yes, the violence is plentiful and often vivid (though it's no Cormac McCarthy). And yes, there are definitely some good plays on language, like the Seam where Katniss lives or the Avox whose tongues have been cut out (though these simple wordplays never rise to the level of Rowling or Tolkien or even Joss Whedon).

Still, for all my disappointment, I fully acknowledge that it's MY disappointment, and not necessarily a short-coming of the book. I simply expected more. And to the book's credit, I was eager to return to it in my downtime, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series just to find out where this world and these characters go next. And really, what more should I ask of a novel, whether it's for adults or teens? ( )
  Snoek-Brown | Feb 7, 2016 |
For such a long time, these books have been sitting on my shelf. I've tried to get an answer as to why I haven't read The Hunger games earlier. I can only guess I acted upon the bits pieces I picked up everywhere. A lot of them - if not most, were related to the movie(s) and feared "the Disney level" would be too high for me to like.
I have never been more wrong! Even though I knew how 'the games' would end (Come on, everybody does!), it did not have any influence on how I enjoyed reading Suzanne's Collins work. Absolutely gripping and thrilling - especially when you realize it actually isn't much different in the world we live today! Can't wait to find out what more Collins' got in store for us and Looking very forward to read Catching Fire! ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Feb 7, 2016 |
SPOILERS!!
A great read. This isn't exactly original - the storyline reminded me of Battle Royale.
It was engaging though. I liked Katniss' voice and cared about what happened to her and her family. Peeta was a bit soft and the love tangle storyline a bit predictable. I never for one minute doubted that they'd both survive though but despite this the book still succeeded in creating suspense. All in all, compelling and enjoyable. Can't wait to start the 2nd book! ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
There is no denying the fact that Suzanne Collins is a gifted writer and Hunger games is a well written book. But somehow,the whole premise of this trilogy did not work for me. Hunger Games as an instrument of oppression of the masses seemed so flimsy that I could never take the travails of the tributes seriously enough. 'This can never come to pass' was the constant background chatter in my mind and I was unable to suspend believability of the plot long enough.
I AM going to read the entire trilogy though, because my teenaged daughter is totally enthralled by the book and wants me to read it too :) ( )
  _amritasharma_ | Feb 5, 2016 |
Ssshhh... don't tell anyone, but I actually quite enjoyed this book. Katniss is a much more worthy heroine and 'role model' then Twilight's Bella. At least the girl can save herself. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peeta
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

Current discussions

Life in the Capitol in The Hunger Games

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,109,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible