The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (edition 2012)

by Suzanne Collins

34,581270119 (4.39)2 / 1918
Member:pattywithawhy
Title:The Hunger Games
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Large Print Press (2012), Edition: Lrg, Paperback, 486 pages

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: survival skills,thinking your way out of a problem
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (VaterOlsen)

English (2,645)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (17)  German (10)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,721)
by L (12)

The Hunger Games was written by Suzanne Collins in 2009 as the first book in the Hunger Games trilogy. The story takes place in Panem, previously North America. In the story Katniss Everdeen volunteers to take place in the Hunger Games after her sister, Primrose is chosen. The Hunger Games consist of sending a girl and a boy from each of the 12 districts of Panem and making all 24 battle to the death. Katniss receives an 11 in training after shooting an arrow through the Gamemakers food (making one fall in the punch bowl!) Katniss and the other tribute from district 12, Peeta wear flaming capes on the parade at the Capitol. That and Peeta admitting his love for Katniss made both of them the favorite to win. During the Hunger Games, Katniss teams up with Rue, a 12-year old girl from district 11 who reminds Katniss of Primrose. However, Rue dies instantly, but not before destroying the Careers's (the gang from the richest districts) food mountain (supply would be an understatement). Then the Gamemakers tell the tributes that there can be two victors as long as they are from the same district. Katniss goes looking for Peeta who is camouflaged under mud and leaves. He is badly injured. Soon Cato, the last tribute/Career dies, but it turns out the new rule was a lie. They don't want to kill each other, so they rebel against the Capitol and threaten to eat poisonous berries to kill each other. Then they return home. ( )
  sophie65 | Jul 22, 2014 |
There are very few books that I've finished in under 24 hours. This is one of them. I couldn't honestly tell you if it lived up to all the hype, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Though I've never seen the movie, I doubt it could live up to this.

The writing style seems quite simple, although I believe that the story just wouldn't be as good any other way. Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is supposed to be for a younger audience, so I shouldn't have expected anything TOO fancy.

I would definitely recommend this book to any of my friends. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
So, this is one of those books where I actually saw the movie first. I have to say that, even though doing so can quite often ruin my experience with a book, that was not the case. I think they did really well handling the transference of novel to movie!

Now then, with that out of the way... hmm... thoughts.

For the style of the book, as in the way it was written, I have to say that it was very well done. The only thing is, the perspective kept throwing me off. It wasn't because it wasn't done well... it was because I've not written in that particular tense, and I wanted to study it as best I could. I got caught up in analyzing her word structure just as much as the story. Thankfully, it didn't detract from how much I enjoyed it... but it did allow me to learn something while reading - so, distracting or not, I count that as a positive of the book.

Of course, when you've seen the movie as well as the book you can't help but to do a comparison. I think the biggest thing that changed for me was the fact that I really, really liked Peeta a lot more. It was wonderful to see Katniss and her inner struggle with her emotions. That's one of my favorite things about a book as opposed to film... is that you get that inner dialogue going and suddenly you know what every expression means, every sound, every furrow of the brow. Hearing Peeta in the book, hearing the way that Katniss thought of him, the way her emotions developed with a seed that was always there... well... I can certainly say that I'm cheering for him a lot more than I previously was.

As to other things, I think that the book overall just did a better job. There were so many vivid descriptions, so many emotions that the book managed to pull off, from Katniss and her hallucinations to the way that the dogs at the end of the book were the other contestants. I can certainly say that it was one of those books that I couldn't put down. I finished it in one sitting, and i'm happy I did so - I'm also happy that I have the other two waiting for me. The story is compelling enough that I want, no, need to know what happens next.

Overall, I'd say it was a really wonderful book. Fans of the movie will realize that even that great film can't compare to how wonderful the novels are... so I'd say check it out if you get the chance, if you haven't already. I know, I know... I'm certainly behind the times on finally getting to read it. I am very glad that I did though!

-Amanda McCormick, musing about books because it makes her happy!

(Full review can be found here: http://wp.me/p4eQRH-y) ( )
  egodominustuus | Jul 20, 2014 |
Written in a workmanlike, almost brusque fashion, this is nevertheless an extremely compelling read, with some very interesting things to say about the pervasive manipulation of image in our media-saturated society. ( )
  salimbol | Jul 18, 2014 |
Summary:
The Hunger Games is about a girl named Katniss who lives in a country that has been divided into 13 districts. Each year the capital holds what they call the "Hunger Games." Each district must send one boy and girl to compete in this bloody competition where only one person comes out alive. Prim, Katniss' young sister, is called forward to be sent to compete. Katniss quickly runs forward to volunteer to take her place. Katniss is a strong competitor which makes her a huge target for the other tributes. Katniss faces many challenges. But ends up in the final two. When they both threaten to eat poison berries and both dies the announcer declares them both victors.

Personal Reaction:
This was a little too much for me. I didn't care to this book as much as I have other books. However, it is a book about survival. We are all doing what we can to survive and protect the people we love.

Classroom Extension: (This is not a book I would use in a classroom sitting)
1. Creative Writing: If you were trying to survive like Katniss, what five things would you need to survive.
2. Comparison Activity: After reading the book, watch the movie and allow them to compare the book and the movie. Finding differences and similarities.
  Tarakalynn | Jul 14, 2014 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Children selectedAgainst nature and young foesArena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peets
Compete in the Hunger Games:
One winner allowed.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible