The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)…

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1) (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

40,339296616 (4.37)2 / 2200
Title:The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Hardcover, 384 pages

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Author)

Recently added byMadisonWest, posykelly, RyanSamonek, Seagan8, private library, sabdouni, AGeeJam, nsenger, Sareene
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (Anonymous user, aliklein, lottpoet)
    Anonymous user: Its just plain amazingly written

English (2,909)  Spanish (25)  Dutch (18)  German (12)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Latin (1)  Hungarian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (2,995)
I never planned on reading the book, it didn't entice me to want to read it. And now i can't believe how much I loved it, I didn't know I would enjoy reading it so much. A very interesting story on the dystopian concept. To be honest I decided to read the book because I wanted to watch the movie but I couldn't bring myself to watch it before reading the book, I will at least read the second book first if not the third before watching it. Hope i'm not disappointed, the writing flowed and it never slows, it was exciting and intense. On to the next now. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
A real page turner. Hard to put down. Suzanne Collins' scene descriptions make it easy to visualize the action; as if you are actually watching the Hunger Games. A definite must-read. ( )
  LisaDillmanWright | Oct 14, 2016 |

This is the second time I have read this novel, and I admit that I enjoyed it just as much as the first time. I read it a couple of years ago when it was a lot less well known in the UK, and I'm glad its got the attention it deserved. I owe this novel a lot, it is the novel that got me back into reading (and buying!) YA novels again, and just back into reading in general. Back when I read this novel, I wasn't reading very often, but when I was it was mostly adult novels, as I really didn't like YA novels, or reading at the time either! I picked this novel up from a shop on a whim, as I thought the premise sounded good, and I loved it. After reading this I wanted to check out some other YA novels, to try and find something that stood up to THG's standard. Basically I have to credit this novel with getting me back into reading, and into spending ridiculous amounts of money on books :)

Now onto the review.

First the plot; I think the plot is my favourite part of the novel, as it was something I had never read before, and even when I re-read it, it still stood up as a really great, unique plotline. It is a fast paced plot, it keeps you on the edge, never really allowing you to take a breath before the next piece of action takes place. This is also quite an emotionally driven story line, and the author writes in such a way that you find yourself upset or celebrating along with the characters.

I think the sign of a good author (and therefore a good book) is the author's ability to kill off characters. Of course this is terrible for the reader's emotional health, but it is a vital part of a good novel. The horrible feeling when a character you love is killed, and it feels as if you've lost a friend in real life. Collins does this perfectly, managing to kill off characters, without it turning into a bloodbath, and giving your favourite a suitably heroic/memorable death.

The novel is told in 1st person narrative, from Katniss' point of view. This gives you a great insight into her character, and also adds to the story as you only know what Katniss knows, so it adds an extra twist to the romance too. As the reader you really feel like you know Katniss, that you are going thorough the whole Hunger Games with her, and I often found myself wondering what I would do if I was in the same situation as Katniss.

The characters are another strong point of the novel, as they added to my enjoyment of the novel. The main character is Katniss, who is a sixteen year old, who volunteers for The Hunger Games in place of her younger sister. As I mentioned above, the story is told from her point of view, so this is the character you are closest to. She is probably the strongest female character in YA that I've ever read about, as she is brave, and a fighter. She is also one of my favourite female characters, as she isn't afraid, and doesn't need anybody to protect her, she also has buckets of common sense, and in this sense I think she is a relatable main character.

Another character who plays quite a big part is Peeta. He is the male volunteer from the same district as Katniss, and he has had feelings for Katniss since he was young. He is a really great guy, he's brave, and would do anything to protect Katniss. He also seems really strong, someone you could depend on. His feelings added a really great romantic twist to the novel, and the plotline.

Katniss' hunting partner back in her district is called Gale, and he adds a bit of confusion to the Peeta-Katniss love, as Katniss isn't sure about her feelings for him. I don't really like love triangles in YA novels, but this one doesn't play a huge part in the novel, so it's pretty easy to ignore. Gale seems like the cool, older brother figure to Katniss, he looks out for her, but also teases her like an older brother would.

The smaller characters in the novel were also really good, for example people like Rue, Cinna and Haymitch all added to Katniss' character development and the overall plot. I loved all the extra characters, even the other tributes, they were portrayed so well. Although they are "evil" they were still portrayed as human, which made sure you didn't forget what was going on, and how humans are being made to kill each other.

All the characters in this novel develop and grow really well, being more rounded and 3 dimensional, by the end. You feel very attached to the characters, which makes any deaths a lot more heart wrenching.

Although this was my second time reading this novel, I enjoyed it just as much as the first time, and still gave it 5/5. I have yet to see the movie adaptation, but I have high expectations of it. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
So, I have to say that I absolutely loved this book! I had some reservations because of all the hype it had gotten and sometimes they fall really flat, but this one did not.

Katniss is a teenage girl who willingly takes her younger sisters place in an all out death match instituted by the Capital, called the Hunger Games. The plot takes you on a first person adventure through what happens after Katniss volunteers herself. Kat is a spectacular main character with enough emotion and personality to keep me reading, it has been a while since I finished a book so quickly.

The Hunger Games for me was a combination of 1984 (which I hated) and Battle Royale (a movie about a random Japanese class that gets picked to fight to the death on a deserted island) and I think this is a very good comparison. However, Collins wrote about the Capital in a way that made the book as a whole likable-- unlike 1984.

The plot line, while entertaining to the younger reader also had a lot of depth for older readers, although I would have read it without that depth, but it was nice. It was also refreshing not to have a love story from the very beginning, or vampires, or zombies...like may currently popular young adult reads.
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Hungerspelen visar en framtida imaginär värld i ett "storebror ser dig" samhälle där ungdomar varje år lottas fram för att ställa upp i en realityserie i form av en modern version av ett romerskt gladiatorspel, där endast vinnaren överlever. En fängslande berättelse om moral och hur man möjligtvis ska kunna lita på sina medmänniskor när man sätts för prövning.
  EbbaJ | Sep 13, 2016 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)
The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.
As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
Death of young children
Make a book and a movie
Oh well, When in Rome
Katniss and Peeta
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,737,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible