De Hongerspelen by Suzanne Collins

Title:De Hongerspelen
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:E-book, read in 2013, gift, novel, fiction, science fiction, fantasy, survival, hunting, games, trilogy part one, Katniss, competiton, tv, arena, poor, hunger

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: survival skills,thinking your way out of a problem
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (VaterOlsen)

English (2,665)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (17)  German (10)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,741)
This book captivated me from the very beginning all the way to the end. I was very hesitant wondering how a new take on the style of Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale would go, but I enjoyed this very much. The brutal death scenes were clear and left a lot to the imagination but not so much that I wouldn't pass this book along to my niece. From Learning about hunting, to a girl getting caught in a political plan I enjoyed this book very much. ( )
  Marensherry | Sep 15, 2014 |
Would have been much better without the dodgy romance that got worse and worse as the book went on. ( )
  duowolf | Sep 15, 2014 |
So, there must be something wrong with me because I don't understand the hype? The plot is done and lacked depth... but maybe I'm biased. ( )
  waelrammo | Sep 14, 2014 |
The Ultimate Reality Show!

Using a science fictional back-drop, Suzanne Collins makes several attempts at analogy to criticize not only Big Brother and no matter its original intent, how people will go on supporting the Hunger Games despite the killings of their children, but also how a naive young woman, deals not only with self-sacrifice and a possible love interest, but struggles with her own rebellious nature. Or, in short, wow!

As mentioned in other reviews, we have a future time where the USA has been destroyed and even some years after that, where the new nation known as Panem had quelled a rebellion of the surrounding 13 districts. (13 districts – original 13 colonies perhaps? Just a thought.) The Hunger Games are established, per our heroine Katniss, to let the other districts know that the Capital is in charge and that they can do anything they want, including making a tradition of ritualistic homicide!

The homicide is dressed up to look pretty and attractive, complete with sponsors, over-enthusiastic handlers and a game-show atmosphere that would put our current reality shows to shame.

Unlike other dystopic stories I've read, we have a continuance of high level broadcasting, medical science demonstrated and hovercraft. On the other hand we have extreme poverty. The games are used as carrots for the poorer districts – get your kids to join in the games and you will get a supply of grain and other foodstuffs and gifts.

Begs the question: what is your family worth? Katniss notices that her sister is picked to go to the games. Realizing that little girl would not stand a chance, she goes in Prim's place. She amazes herself about this and remarks how other families have never done such a thing in so long that the protocol is rusty on this point.

Another question: Contrivance and lies to encourage sponsor support. I had to laugh at this as it is so true. Even today we have sponsors pulling their support from former spokespersons due to their own immorality and sexual misconduct. In The Hunger Games, sponsors will pull out if you're not vicious enough or their heart-strings are not pulled enough.

The romance contrivance was predictable but fun to see how it unfolds: Katniss and her partner from the same District 12, Peeta, contrive a romance that brings in sponsors and gifts. But she's confused: Is Peeta faking or does he really love her?

Katniss' natural rebellious nature, her comments about her friend Gale (yes, silly, you love him, get over it!) and her conflicting feelings for Peeta and her growing rebellion against the Capital and their deadly Games, make for some interesting reading, despite a few inconsistencies here and there.

Can't wait for Catching Fire!

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
I ended up liking this book. But that beginning was slow and depressing for me. Strange enough I wanted to see the games. Yes, where kids die, but not read about how horrid everyone's life was. So I'm not too sure how I'll feel about the second book. I'm going to give it a good ol' college try. ( )
  SofiaHarper | Sep 6, 2014 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Children selectedAgainst nature and young foesArena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peets
Compete in the Hunger Games:
One winner allowed.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible