De Hongerspelen by Suzanne Collins

Title:De Hongerspelen
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:E-book, read in 2013, gift, novel, fiction, science fiction, fantasy, survival, hunting, games, trilogy part one, Katniss, competiton, tv, arena, poor, hunger

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (caroljeanr)
    caroljeanr: survival skills,thinking your way out of a problem
  20. 1911
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)

English (2,692)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (17)  German (11)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Latin (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (2,769)
This is another book I read AWHILE ago that I am just now reviewing. I read this book right before the movie came out, I hate watching a movie that is a book before reading the book. It was a quick read.

I liked the intricacies of the world that Ms. Collins built. It reminded me of Harry Potter in the way that the world was so elaborate and so all immersive. I liked Katniss, she is a beautiful character both a lover and a fighter. I also don't understand why people called Peeta/Gale/Katniss a love triangle...maybe it's from a later book (that I have still yet to read).

I liked the world, even though dystopian fiction is not my favorite kind. I think that some of the imagery and scenes were brutal and a little too much for some young adults. The whole animal thing at the end creeped ME out and I am 25 years old. This was a quick easy read but I doubt I will continue on reading the series, the movies, maybe. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
This book is one of three about a future country. The main character is put into a "fight to the death" arena with 23 other teenagers. It is aired on live TV for all to see. The book is about her survival in and out of the arena. This book is very interesting and would attract new readers. This trilogy is something that could make students who "don't like reading" fall in love with it. It has action to keep the readers attention throughout. Also, it is being made into movies so some this could help students want to read to find out the ending while waiting for the next movie. Students in 6th grade would like this because it has some mature themes and can be graphic. It is a modern fantasy chapter book. I highly recommend it to everyone. ( )
  nhassa3 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I actually bought this book over two years ago. It had caught my attention because a friend, who hates to read anything more than a one-sentence e-mail, had been convinced to try it and she loved it. She flew through the entire trilogy faster than I ever would have expected. When I saw the first book on sale for $1.99 not long afterward, I decided to snag it.

I’ve never seen the movies, so all I knew about the story going into it was what I vaguely remember seeing on the movie trailer. I knew it would probably be a light, quick read judging by its apparent main-stream popularity, so I’ve been saving it for a “rainy day” – a day when I just want a quick and enjoyable read that doesn’t require too much mental effort. That rainy day finally came, and this book was perfect for meeting that need.

The writing style grabbed me from the beginning and easily kept my attention. For me, there were no slow parts whatsoever; it held my attention from the first word to the last. The story was completely uncomplicated, but interesting nevertheless. This book was clearly written for a younger audience, but the story is one that adults can appreciate too. The sacrifices and relationships formed in this book are very touching, as is the disparity between the impoverished and powerless versus the rich and powerful.

The story is told from the first-person perspective of a sixteen-year-old girl, Katniss. I would have liked the opportunity to read from the perspective of at least a couple of the other characters, but Katniss is a sympathetic and likeable character. Without giving anything away about the plot (if there’s anybody else left who doesn’t already know it!), I was sometimes a little bothered by how easily and willingly she was able to pretend to be what people expected her to be. She didn’t enjoy it, but it seemed like she usually managed to pull off a convincing performance in spite of that. I would have been more satisfied with a heroine who was more true to herself. However, given that the alternative was likely death for herself, and misery or possibly death for the family who depended on her, I suppose I can understand why she made the choices she made. She was putting the people she cared about above everything else. She wasn't trying to change the world or set an example, she was just trying to ensure the well-being of the people she cared about. That, I suppose, made her a pretty realistic character. ( )
  YouKneeK | Nov 20, 2014 |
Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games. Killed or be killed. Katniss takes her sister's place in the Hunger Games. She basically thinks she's going to die and sees the whole thing as a death sentence, but in the end sees it as a game for survival.
  kzilinskas | Nov 16, 2014 |
The Hunger Games starts on the day of the reaping, or the day when children ages 12-18 are chosen to become "tributes" in a fight-to-the-death competition in which only one person survives. But when the main characters sister, Prim, gets chosen as a tribute, her older sister, Katniss, takes place by volunteering herself instead of her sister. She travels by train to visit the Capitol, which is the supreme ruler over all the districts and gets all the wealth.
Katniss goes through for days of intensive training, and does surprisingly good on her training scores. Then she goes through all the challenges of the area, where she watch out for traps, other people and various mutations that the capitol breeds in top-secret labs. Despite all these challenges, she survives and goes home to live another day.

I like this book because of the fact that there is always a twist, always an obstacle to overcome. From the ethinicity of killing a tribute to starvation and other physical and mental burdens/ challenges, its no wonder the is so action-packed. Five out of five stars. ( )
  johnn.b4 | Nov 8, 2014 |
The concept of the book isn’t particu­larly original — a nearly identical premise is explored in “Battle Royale,” a won­drously gruesome Japanese novel that has been spun off into a popular manga series.

Nor is there anything spectacular about the writing — the words describe the action and little else. But the considerable strength of the novel comes in Collins’s convincingly detailed world-building and her memorably complex and fascinating heroine. In fact, by not calling attention to itself, the text disappears in the way a good font does: nothing stands between Katniss and the reader, between Panem and America.
added by Aerrin99 | editNew York Times, John Green (Nov 7, 2008)

The Hunger Games isn't exactly a deep work of literature, but it is a fun, exciting adventure story with a cool, believable female hero. And a entertainingly bleak, dystopian world with just enough of a reflection of our own reality to be thought-provoking. And most of all, a media-savvy story of on-camera slaughter by a former television professional. Good stuff, check it out.

As negative Utopias go, Suzanne Collins has created a dilly. The United States is gone. North America has become Panem, a TV-dominated dictatorship run from a city called the Capitol. The rest of Panem is divided into 12 Districts (the former 13th had the bad judgment to revolt and no longer exists).

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Children selectedAgainst nature and young foesArena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peets
Compete in the Hunger Games:
One winner allowed.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible