The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)…

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1) (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Collins

45,709313016 (4.35)2 / 2354
Member:avidreaderlisa
Title:The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2008), Hardcover, 384 pages

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (ekissel)
    Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (Kira, k1tsune)
    Kira: Battle Royale is more violent and lengthy but has a similar plot, with a class of children randomly selected each year to fight classmates to the death.
    k1tsune: Very similar.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (writecathy)
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (elephantshoe, TheDivineOomba, notemily, electronicmemory)
    elephantshoe: futuristic world again, but the teens have to compete and fight to the death in a televised reality show.
    notemily: A similar oppressive government, with a mysterious place "outside" the dystopia that may or may not exist.
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (foggidawn, anytsuj, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (librarymeg, FantasyGirl2, saltypepper)
    saltypepper: The heroines' voices are very similar, maybe due to their similar response to the awful circumstances they find themselves in.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (redpersephone, FFortuna)
    redpersephone: For adult or late teen fans, this has a female protagonist living in a dystopia where everyone has his or her own motives and secrets. Less gore, more sex.
    FFortuna: The Handmaid's Tale is more adult, but really not by much. They're very similar dystopias and both feature excellent, deep-first-person narratives.
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (smammers, christmas6391, BrrgleBee)
    christmas6391: "Teenagers thrown into a hostile environment with no way out because of their corrupt societies," can be used to describe both of these books. The difference? In The Maze Runner, none of them remember anything before waking up in the maze.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (TheDivineOomba)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (SandSing7)
    The Long Walk by Stephen King (LadyHazy)
    LadyHazy: (not for young adult readers though, it's a lot more violent)
    Matched by Ally Condie (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: Both books feature central heroines living in dystopian worlds that aren't quite what they seem. They each have an engaging romance and a story that digs behind the curtain of the society their characters live in.
    The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau (Bitter_Grace)
    The Running Man by Stephen King (MyriadBooks, levasssp)
    levasssp: similar plot. The Running Man is a TV gameshow that pits one man against hunters in an arena. If he makes it to the end alive, he wins.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (KenJenningsFan74)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (VaterOlsen)
    1984 by George Orwell (GabbyReElle)
    Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien (PamFamilyLibrary, kathleen.morrow)
    PamFamilyLibrary: Intelligent, quickly paced YA dystopia.
    kathleen.morrow: Both have strong heroines in a dystopian society. Additionally, both have an interesting, but not overpowering romantic subplot.
    The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (Anonymous user, aliklein, lottpoet)
    Anonymous user: Its just plain amazingly written

English (3,076)  Spanish (25)  Dutch (18)  German (15)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Finnish (4)  Catalan (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Latin (1)  Hungarian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (3,165)
Hunger Games. Sort of Harry Potter and Snow-white meet Hitler and Stalin young-adult fiction with lots of “I’m a celebrity” and dressing up. The duo’s survival and fighting techniques are fascicle but the writing flows very well. Easy to see how schoolkids would lap it up. Two and a half stars. ( )
  Novak | Dec 10, 2018 |
I put off reading the Hunger Games trilogy for YEARS, mainly because I’m one of those people who want to read a book in opposite proportion to how many other people love it. Everyone went NUTS over this series from the get-go, and for some reason that meant I didn’t want to read it. It’s almost like if I didn’t discover a thing first, I didn’t want to know about it! Which is hilarious, because usually when I DO finally read the thing I didn’t want to read because it was “too popular,” I end up loving it. So.

The Hunger Games wasn’t, however, AS GOOD as I was expecting it to be. Well, how could it? Anything that’s hyped that much and salivated over by, like, freaking EVERYONE just can’t be as good as it’s been built up to be. It’s impossible!

Even though it wasn’t as fantastic as I assumed it’d be, it was still pretty darned good. It took me a while to get into it– the beginning is kinda slow, and the sentences have a weird rhythm that kept throwing me off. I also found myself very hostile towards the Peeta-Katniss romance because I didn’t think it was all that romantic that Katniss was forced to be in love with Peeta AND Peeta himself was very annoying, what with his “oh I’ve loved you for forever but I never said” and “You do love me back even though it should be kind of obvious that you don’t because of how Haymitch said to play to the sponsors and you’re too busy running for your life and everything to think of romance.” HOW HARD IS IT TO SAY SOMETHING, PEETA. OF COURSE SHE’S PLAYING TO THE CAMERAS, PEETA. Holy cheese did that piss me off. I didn’t trust him, either; he could so easily have been faking it as well and thus deliberately playing with Katniss’ emotions, and that’s not a cool thing for a romantic hero to do. On the other hand, Katniss isn’t the most reliable of narrators, and so he COULD have been legit after all.

By the end of the book I was actually really pissed off, and it took me a while to calm down enough to want to read the next book in the series. Actually, and this is kind of funny, but I read some non-spoilery reviews for Catching Fir that said it wasn’t the best book in the series, and that made me want to read it more than anything else. lol, right?

So, what did I like? I liked the dystopian world. You don’t get a whole heap of details of what it’s like to live in Panem (although what you DO get is infodumped every two pages and it’s almost always horrifying), but it was enough to interest me and keep me reading. I LOVED the classical Roman/GReek references, most of which were rather cleverly referenced. I also really liked Katniss, for all that her POV was annoying.

I liked that she wasn’t just a stereotypical “strong female character.” Yes, she uses weapons and kicks butt, but she does it in a way that stays true to her original personality. She doesn’t suddenly become Action Katniss, Now with Guns. She’s still Katniss-from-the-block, and that shows even after she kills people and sees others killed. I especially liked that she was vulnerable and had trouble figuring things out,4 but that she didn’t let that or her emotional instability from keeping her from surviving/saving Peeta. She’s as realistic as a dystopian heroine could be, and always in a way that made me want to root for her. Yay Katniss!

It’s not a perfect book by any means, but I can see why people love it so much. And now that I’m (as of writing this review) halfway through the third book, I can see why people were so obsessed with the series as a whole. It’s got romance and action and thriller-y things, and of course the dystopian elements are always fun! Maybe the writing is a bit annoying, depending on your tastes, but it’s good enough to have made me want to read the rest of the series. That’s a pretty tough accomplishment, I think.

If you’ve put off reading The Hunger Games for whatever reason, I think I can safely say that– if you’re interested in the genre, at least– you’ll enjoy reading it. I don’t think that it’s the sort of book that’ll make people who only read political non-fiction books love it, for instance, but anyone who likes YA or dystopias or even romance would. ( )
  doctorsidrat | Dec 9, 2018 |
Had a slower start for me, but soon grabbed my attention and finished in a day. Enjoyed the plot. ( )
  distantiation | Dec 3, 2018 |
Novel. I feel like everyone knows about this book, but it fallows a woman named Katniss Everdeen as she fights to the death agents other people from other districts. Katniss is at a disadvantage because she is from the poorest of all districts, but has great survival skills and knows her way around a bow and arrow. The reason there is this battle royal is pretty much because the richest get bored and because they can. Katniss ends up shocking everyone because she is the last competitor standing and it is a huge deal because no one thought she would win. ( )
  Nick1009 | Dec 2, 2018 |
At first I didn't really want to read this book. To much hype over a book lately makes me not want to read it. Specially after my last few books that everyone said was great and I couldn't stand. This book was different. I really did enjoy this book. I am still not sure how I feel about Katniss, but I loved the story line. I would love to read small short stories about all the characters during the Hunger Games and what they were going through at each time.

I thought the characters were well developed. I had a problem believing that Katniss was really as dense as she seemed about somethings in the book, but over all I enjoyed her character. Peeta is my favorite so far. I will pass more judgement after the next book.

I cannot wait to read the next book and see what happens with Katniss, Peeta and Gale. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Het verhaal, vertaald uit het Engels, speelt zich af in de toekomst. Na een burgeroorlog is van Noord-Amerika het land Panem overgebleven, bestaande uit het welvarende Capitool met twaalf daaraan ondergeschikte districten, waarin veel armoede en onvrijheid heersen. In de jaarlijkse Hongerspelen moeten 24 kinderen, uit elk district een jongen en een meisje, strijden op leven en dood in een ‘Big Brother’-omgeving. Katniss Everdeen (16, ik-figuur) uit het 12e, armoedigste district springt in de bres voor haar jongere zusje Prim wanneer deze wordt uitgeloot. Na een wat aarzelend begin krijgt het verhaal vaart in het tweede en derde deel. Het thema is gedurfd: een strijd op leven en dood tussen twaalf- en achttienjarigen, als vorm van vermaak. Wie is de slimste overlever? De auteur creëert een eigen begrippenkader dat zijdelings doet denken aan Harry Potter. Ze combineert overlevingstechnieken uit de traditie van Jean Auels prehistorische romans met ultramoderne technologie. Het slot lijkt voorspelbaar, maar is dat niet. Spanning, romantiek en het open einde maken de lezer nieuwsgierig naar het volgende boek in deze serie, 'De Hongerspelen II: vlammen'*.
added by ARThurNOIRKE | editBiblion, C. la Roi

O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, Elizabeth B.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Totth, BenedekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Happy hunger games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.
For James Proimos
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Když se probouzím, druhá strana postele je chladná. Natahuji prsty směrem k Priminu teplu, ale nahmatám pouze hrubý plátěný povlak matrace. Určitě měla zlé sny a vlezla si k matce. Není divu. Dnes je Den sklizně.
She reaches in, digs her hand deep into the ball, and pulls out a slip of paper. The crowd draws in a collective breath and then you can hear a pin drop, and I’m feeling nauseous and so desperately hoping that it’s not me, that it’s not me, that it’s not me.
As long as you can find yourself, you'll never starve.
"Was that what was in his pack at the feast? Body armor to defend against my arrows? Well, they neglected to send a face guard."
WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN...

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
Children selected
Against nature and young foes
Arena death match
(conceptDawg)
You love your neighbor
Unless your life is at stake
In that case.... they die!
(jll112)
Katniss and Peeta
compete in the Hunger Games:
winner gets to live.
(passion4reading)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Collins's book The Hunger Games was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,718,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible