The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor…

The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1972; edition 2011)

by Angela Carter

Member:skiourophile
Title:The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Angela Carter
Info:Penguin (2011), Kindle Edition, 292 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Rating:***

The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman by Angela Carter (1972)

English (8)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
My shortest review ever: pervy Kafka

Alright, I lied. Not about the pervy Kafka part, but about the length of the review. I owe more explanation. Carter's book messes with reality. It messes with gender roles, gender in general, kind of bestiality...or at least gets halfway there technically I suppose. Covers homosexuality and gang rape (in a few different instances) and was just really a weird book. Now with all the instances of sex and deviant sex (not judging all instances of sex noted above, but yeah...definitely some), it wasn't overly graphic, more just uncomfortable in an artsy way. Lolita level uncomfortable maybe?

Anyway, the book was well-written and pulled it off until the end. The end...oh, the end. It was as if she had to head out for a trip and she knew she'd be gone a while but she was on deadline. So she jotted down a quick wrap. The conclusion didn't do the rest of the work justice, hence, my rating reflects that. ( )
  Sean191 | Jun 24, 2013 |
Angela Carter is often cited as a very well-thought of and influential author. I can see the technical mastery of her writing but I just can't enjoy it very much myself. It is just too dense and too unenjoyable for me. A lot of very bad things happen and no good things, and most of the people are pretty terrible. The general idea of a war against reality is very intriguing, and I wish I could have enjoyed it more than I did. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Aug 8, 2012 |
i thought this book was too big for its britches and fundamentally ill-suited to being a novel. the whole underlying notion is interesting, but seems to require a visual component to give it the heft the author tries to afford it with words unnecessarily long and cumbersome. ( )
  arouse77 | Jun 27, 2008 |
Started this, found it very good, but too dense for my attention level. I'm saving it for my trip abroad, when the density in such a thin book will be a great time/weight ratio.

It was *very* good. At times bizarre and meandering, but always mysterious and deep. ( )
  aneel | May 10, 2007 |
this book is truly masterful - such inventive swoops of the imagination. ( )
  markscarlet | Dec 20, 2006 |

Angela Carterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Perria, LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Les lois de nos désirs sont les dés sans loisir.

Robert Desnos
(Remember that we sometimes demand definitions for the sake not of the content, but of their form. Our requirement is an architectural one: the definition is a kind of ornamental coping that supports nothing.)

Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations
Imagine the perplexity of a man outside time and space, who has lost his watch, his measuring rod and his tuning fork.

Alfred Jarry, Exploits and Opinions of Doctor Faustrall Pataphysician
I remember everything.

I remember everything perfectly.

The story of a war fought against the diabolic Doctor Hoffman, who wanted to demolish the structures of reason and liberate man from the chains of the reality principle for ever.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141046686, 0141192399

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,958,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible