Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Knight by Gene Wolfe

The Knight

by Gene Wolfe

Series: The Wizard Knight (1)

Recently added byprivate library, Jarulf, Rogcess, ggoldby, JacobHolt, vandaaway, BMR3

English (25)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (28)
Classic Gene Wolfe fare... Great story, confusing [rose. Exactly what you buy his books for ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
What I love most about this book is how the language makes my brain feel entirely re-wired for the duration. I think I must have re-read it 6 times in a row just for the sensation until I was able to list the incidents in the plot one after the other - and considering how bad my memory is that takes a bit. Through the last half of 2004 I kept coming back to it. Somehow it takes familiar elements and produces something so new. Young boy finds himself in the body of a grown warrior, what surprises could that have for someone who's read Fantasy since the 1950s? ( )
  quondame | Dec 30, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer.     Synopsis A young boy from our world is transported to fairyland, then to another world. Once there, he meets a fairy goddess who grows him up overnight. His various adventures while trying to be a knight and refind his fairy love.   My Thoughts While I enjoyed the writing and story [having read Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun and thought it was pure trash, this was a delightful surprise], something just seemed off-putting about how the narrative jumped around.   I haven't read any other reviews, so I haven't been influenced that way, but to be honest, my first thought was that the main character was autistic. I still think so. There was a lot of the "boyish" in the character, which is to be expected as he is supposed to be 12 or 16 or something until he's magically "adult'ed" and I found that rather charming. But the timelessness, the odd hesitancies, the complete and utter honesty, the vagaries, it was different enough that it made me feel slightly uncomfortable.   The whole world was engaging. From the various levels of reality, the monsters, the fairies, the side characters good and bad,the giant mystery dog, it all was interesting and well constructed.   I am looking forward to reading the sequel, The Wizard, very soon.   Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars   Author: Gene Wolfe " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
In fact I've read the first and am on my way with the second tome; I must say Wolfe has a strange way to write, he seems disinterested if we follow him; reading his books is quite hard for me; I would'nt tell anybody to read him, but I consider he his an intersting writer! ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
The Knight - Gene Wolfe
The Wizard - Gene Wolfe

One story, two books.
I expected to LOVE these - I'd really been anticipating reading them.
But - I didn't love them. I tried, but I just didn't.
For one thing, this story uses the exact same gimmick as Wolfe's The Book of the Short Sun trilogy (you are reading book written for an unseen, not-present person). Not only that, I am sorry, but the narrator has the EXACT SAME VOICE as in that other book. It is written as the exact same character, even though superficially, they are supposed to be two very different people. If you've read one of these books, the similarity will be unavoidable and distracting.
Another distraction is that the main character is an American boy who, wandering in the woods, slips into a complicated hierarchy of seven other worlds altogether. Due to the magic of an Elf-Queen, he is instantly transformed into the shape of an older, big, muscular man.
The shape/age change is used in the book to some degree, mainly for the repeated philosophical observation that most men feel like boys masquerading as men.
But the fact that he is American, or even from our world, is not utilized in the story at all. He forgets most of his life in our world, it hardly ever comes up, and is not essential to the plot in any way. It's just an unnecessary complication. Odd things occur - and it's almost as if the character just doesn't react - not like an American would react, and really not like the typical inhabitant of the world where he is would react either. It's just sort of odd. And dull.

I hate to say it, but the books are kind of boring. They're slow-moving, and I just didn't feel that Wolfe's usage of classic fantasy elements worked very well. (Not nearly as well as in any of Wolfe's other books that I've read.) His hierarchy-of-worlds had some interesting elements to it, and some of the characters, especially the fire-elf 'sisters' were cool - but I feel it either needed more action or a more-coherent philosophy pulling it all together. ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Gene Wolfeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Manchess, GregoryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Riders

Who treads those level lands of gold,
The level fields of mist and air,
And rolling mountains manifold
And towers of twilight over there?
No mortal foot upon them strays,
No archer in the towers dwells,
But feet too airy for our ways
Go up and down their hills and dells.
The people out of old romance,
And people that have never been,
And those that on the border dance
Between old history and between
Resounding fable, as the king
Who held his court at Camelot.
There Guinevere is wandering
And there the knight Sir Lancelot.
And by yon precipice of white,
As steep as Roncesvalles, and more,
Within an inch of fancy's sight,
Roland the peerless rides to war.
And just the tip of Quixote's spear,
The greatest of them all by far,
Is surely visible from here!
But no: it is the Evening Star.

—Lord Dunsany
Dedicated with the greatest respect
to Yves Meynard, author of
The Book of Knights
You must have stopped wondering what happened to me a long time ago; I know it has been many years.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765347016, Mass Market Paperback)

A young man in his teens is transported from our world to a magical realm that contains seven levels of reality. Very quickly transformed by magic into a grown man of heroic proportions, he takes the name Able and sets out on a quest to find the sword that has been promised to him, a sword he will get from a dragon, the one very special blade that will help him fulfill his life ambition to become a knight and a true hero.

Inside, however, Able remains a boy, and he must grow in every sense to survive the dangers and delights that lie ahead in encounters with giants, elves, wizards, and dragons. His adventure will conclude in the second volume of The Wizard Knight, The Wizard.

With this new series, Wolfe not only surpasses all the most popular genre writers of the last three decades, he takes on the legends of the past century, in a work that will be favorably compared with the best of J. R. R. Tolkien, E. R. Eddison, Mervyn Peake, and
T. H. White. This is a book---and a series---for the ages, from perhaps the greatest living writer in (or outside) the fantasy genre.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:37 -0400)

A teenager passes from our world to a magical realm of seven worlds, where he is soon given the body of a mature man of heroic proportions. Forced to act as a man, inside he remains a boy, even as he sets off to find his destined sword and become a knight.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,527,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible