The Rules(TM): Time-Tested Secrets for…

The Rules(TM): Time-Tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right (1995)

by Ellen Fein

3.5 hearts

When I first read the premise for this, I thought this would be interesting learning who Ariane was and what she was too. The rules that she is to follow seem fairly easy enough, that is till you get to the last one. Don’t fall in love. Now, that is one rule that will be hard not to break. So, of course I had to know what happens.

Ariane might have human name, look human, but she a alien hybrid and has managed to live under the radar for quite a while now. She attends high school, she does a good job keeping to herself. I would think that would be very lonely, but she handled it well. Her personality was sweet and she was so protective of her father and her self. I couldn’t help but to like her.

This is told from Ariane and Zane’s point of views. With a setting in high school, comes lots of high school drama, the cliques and the mean girls. What would high school be with out those? Rachel is the one that Ariance has to deal with, and she was certainly a royal bitch. But at least there was Zane, who seemed to be just a sweet guy and becomes the love for Ariane. She did everything to not fall for him, and that just made the romance even more endearing.

The concept was just as interesting as I thought it would be. I enjoyed getting to know Ariane, her abilities and what she went through at GTX where she had been created. I am hoping that more about the aliens will be explored in the future though. It didn’t take me long to read this due to the fairly fast pace and with the twists and betrayal thrown in. The ending was fantastic, and I was kinda expecting a few things to happen, but that was not all that happened and I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it. I am looking forward to seeing where Kade takes the story next.

The Rules was an entertaining read, the characters were great and I am looking forward to seeing where Kade takes the story next. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |
I purchased this book several years ago at a used book store and am sorry I wasted my money. I find The Rules to be one of the silliest books I have ever read on relationships. In reading over these recommended man-catching "techniques" I am struck by how shallow and unintelligent these authors judge men to be. I find it hard to believe that most men serious about finding someone to spend their life with would be taken in by such foolishness. One rule is "Don't call call him and rarely return his calls". Many of us are raised to understand that not returning a phone call is simply rude behavior and not a decision likely to lead to lasting love. Much of the "advice" offered in The Rules was personally embarrassing for me to read as I imagined myself putting some of these rules into practice. The reader is encouraged to engage in unnatural behaviors that are unlikely to foster authenticity or respect in any relationship. My advice to anyone picking up The Rules is read it for a few good laughs,then throw it out, go on that date and just be yourself. ( )
  LisaDean | May 2, 2012 |
This is a book of rules for women to follow - women who want to meet and marry Mr. Right. The basic concept is to let the man take the lead - and don't make him your whole world. Be a busy, happy person; be your OWN person apart from your guy. Many modern women roll their eyes at some of the rules listed here. They say The Rules are silly - why can't a woman pursue her man? It's the 2000's for crying out loud! However, I think the ideas in this book are beneficial to women if applied correctly. If you follow the rules in this book you will be protecting yourself from a great deal of heartbreak. There's a chapter in here about friendship as well, not just romance. Many women (myself included) give WAY too much in our relationships and end up feeling hurt and used. This book helps us to give the most effort to those in our lives who have shown they truly love us. ( )
2 vote BookAngel_a | Oct 1, 2009 |
If all you want to do is catch a husband, then this is the book for you. If you want a true, loving relationship of equals, run in the other direction, now!

The book's advice is to essentially not really get to know the true self of the man in your life before fully and totally committing to him. If you've only had 10-minute phone conversations with the guy and have only seen him once a week, how can you really know whether you two are deeply compatible? They seem to think that as long as he proposes to you, you have it made. Supposedly, staying "mysterious" will make him treat you like a delicate flower and will prevent him from abusing you, but old-fashioned notions behind The Rules never prevented abuse --- the opposite is probably true. Essentially, their strategy is acting your way into a relationship; they have a book for after you get married, but acting one's way through life is not something everyone wants, even if that snags them a husband. Maybe The Rules are great for "catching and holding" a man, but there's no way to know whether or not that man happens to be right for you. That's the crux of the problem with this book: it assumes that the best possible outcome is always a marriage. The mindset is similar to the mindset of traditional societies in that marriage is viewed as the best alternative for a woman, without a thought to her compatibility with the man. Not once does the book talk about how much you like a man being a factor in whether or not to exact a commitment from him.

(And no, I am not bitter and single. I am in a committed relationship and on track towards a marriage.) ( )
3 vote heina | Jan 27, 2008 |
Just another desperate attempt at trying to save my marriage. It failed -- the attempt and the marriage. ( )
  karriethelibrarian | Dec 16, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446602744, Mass Market Paperback)

An unexpected bestseller, this self-help book for women who want to hook a man seems to have struck a chord with desperate American women. Fein and Schneider, whose main credentials seem to be that they are married, lay out the rules to be followed for successfully snagging a dream hunk. And these rules are hard as cast-iron--Rule Five: Don't Call Him and Rarely Return His Calls. The idea is to return to pre-feminist mind games, exploiting the male hunting urge by playing hard to get. The result seems unliberating--Rule Seventeen: Let Him Take the Lead--but it seems to be capturing female minds. Rules Girls are eyeing the phone with steely resolve, and Rules seminars are springing up nationwide. Curious bachelors have been observed studying The Rules, some frowning, others with the supercilious smile of the hunter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:40 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,296,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible