The winter of our discontent by John…

The winter of our discontent (original 1961; edition 1961)

by John Steinbeck

3,739751,396 (3.93)1 / 242
Member:Jan7Smith
Title:The winter of our discontent
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:New York : The Viking Press, 1961.
Collections:Favorites, Read

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck (1961)

One of the best books ever written ( )
  rmcdevitt4 | Feb 22, 2017 |
I was attracted to this book because of its title. It just sounds cool. But, 'The Winter of Our Discontent' wasn't the comfortable classic I was expecting. Steinbeck doesn't lay everything out for the reader. You'll take out what you put in based on your own experiences and ethics. There were several times I almost gave up on this book, but I'm proud I made it through. Steinbeck made me think more about morals and hypocrisy in one novel than an entire semester of ethics in college did. ( )
  beehappy | Feb 2, 2017 |
My favourite Steinbeck. A moral tale told with the lightest touch only a Great Master can manage. And what is Steinbeck if not a Great Master. ( )
  LeonardGMokos | Nov 22, 2016 |
Not as good as the "big" Steinbecks, but entertaining enough. Well-written and evocative, just a bit too "small town" in scope. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Aug 5, 2016 |

Steinbeck, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bianciardi, LucianoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herman, Rein F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shillinglaw, SusanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silveira, BrennoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Readers seeking to identify the fictional people and places here described would do better to inspect their own communities and search their own hearts, for this book is about a large part of America today.
To Beth, my sister, whose light burns clear
When the fair gold morning of April stirred Mary Hawley awake, she turned over to her husband and saw him, little fingers pulling a frog mouth at her.
You know how advice is. You only want it if it agrees with what you wanted to do anyway.

Ethan Hawley is a war veteran, grocery store clerk, husband, and father, with much to say about Americans, consumerism, and the characters of his small seaside town. Themes of inadequacy, guilt, and deception are prominent as Ethan attempts to fulfill the expectations of his ancestors as well as his wife and children. "No one wants advice, only corroboration."

From a swashbuckling pirate fantasy to a meditation on American morality?two classic Steinbeck novels make their black spine debuts

IN AWARDING John Steinbeck the 1962 Nobel Prize in Literature, the Nobel committee stated that with The Winter of Our Discontent, he had ?resumed his position as an independent expounder of the truth, with an unbiased instinct for what is genuinely American.?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

From the Publisher: From a swashbuckling pirate fantasy to a meditation on American morality-two classic Steinbeck novels make their black spine debuts. In awarding John Steinbeck the 1962 Nobel Prize in Literature, the Nobel committee stated that with The Winter of Our Discontent, he had "resumed his position as an independent expounder of the truth, with an unbiased instinct for what is genuinely American." Ethan Allen Hawley, the protagonist of the novel, works as a clerk in a grocery store that his family once owned. With the decline in their status, his wife is restless, and his teenage children are hungry for the tantalizing material comforts he cannot provide. Then one day, in a moment of moral crisis, Ethan decides to take a holiday from his own scrupulous standards.… (more)

83 wanted6 pay1 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,216,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible