Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Deadly Little Secret (2008)

by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Even after reading the synopsis, I still wasn't sure what to expect from Deadly Little Secret. I mistakenly thought it would lean more toward supernatural, with the emphasis on her being "drawn to his touch". In the end it was really more of a YA thriller/mystery, complete with threats and a creepy stalker, albeit a little slow paced for my liking.

I felt like the characters where likeable enough, but didn't exactly stand out to me in any way. I couldn't tell if Camelia was brave, or just stupid; someone is sending threatening letters, she hears peculiar noises, a stranger has been in her room, and yet she has no problem being home alone. Ben was a little more interesting, but his back story still doesn't sit well with me, even after learning the whole scenario. Obviously I don't want to ruin anything for potential readers, so I won't elaborate, but it didn't make me feel much better about the situation regarding his ex. The one character that I really couldn't stand was Camelia's best friend, Kimmie. She was so over the top and literally only talked about boys. There was one point where she was finally being a good friend, after learning how serious her friend's stalker issues had become, and I thought she might not be so bad after all. Wrong. That moment was very fleeting, and seconds later she reverted back to her overly sexual self, existing solely to talk about the hot guys at their school and forever trying to get their attention. It was very hard to buy that they were best friends when they seemed to have absolutely nothing in common. Then there's Wes, Camelia's other friend, who didn't really get developed enough to care about. I assume he only existed so Kimmie would have someone to engage in witty banter with.

The relationship between Camelia and Ben didn't have much of a chance to get off the ground. Half of the book consisted of him avoiding her or trying to convince her that her life was in danger. They still had some moments where they connected, but with all of the chaos of people accusing him of murdering his ex and her being threatened, there wasn't a whole lot of opportunity for it. He also has his ex-girlfriend's death hanging over him, haunting him, so that weighed into it a lot as well. Not an epic love story to be sure, however I'm still anxious to see how these characters develop in book two.

The overall plot was decent, although as I said before it was a little slow going. The author did an excellent job at misdirection. I thought I had figured out who the culprit was at the beginning of the book, and was pleased to find that I was completely wrong. The end felt a little rushed; I expected it to be a lot more suspenseful, but it all ended pretty abruptly. There wasn't really a cliffhanger, yet I still feel compelled to read the next book in the series to find out what happens next between Camelia and Ben.

Hey, maybe Kimmie will be more tolerable in Deadly Little Lies. I won't hold my breath on that one though.

If you would like to read more of my reviews, please check out my book review blog, Lucky Devil Reviews (http://www.luckydevilreviews.com) ( )
  luckydevilreviews | Jul 1, 2015 |
It was okay. However I felt like I was reading Twilight all over again. Too many things reminded me of Twilight. ( )
  mamelotti | Apr 24, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book! I have to say it is very similar to twilight in many ways. The thing I loved best about this book was the suspense. The way I thought I knew who the stalker was at so many times in the book, and it turns out to be someone I never even expected. I loved every single moment from start to finish. This was also a very quick read which is why I gave it 5 stars. ( )
  Milaxox | Feb 23, 2014 |
Cover Thoughts: From a pro photographer’s standpoint, I like it. Minus the blurring, it looks like a ‘details’ photo I would set up and shoot for my clients. Because of that, it appealed to me, though the cover of book 2 in the series is my favorite.

Book Thoughts:

Even though the book started off a little Twilight-y, Deadly Little Secret began this series by Stolarz on a pretty strong note. The characters were clearly defined, as who they are going to be, flaws (some major) included. Camelia was a pretty well rounded main character, but most of the others had MAJOR issues. Her parents acted like angsty teenagers, Ben (the love interest) acted like his last name should be Cullen, and her best friends reminded me so much of the two unpopular friends from the Mean Girls movie that I pictured them looking as they did while reading.

The storyline was pretty well written and SERIOUSLY creepy and VERY mysterious. I cannot count how many times something that seemed like it wasn’t a big deal would wind up spooking me. I really liked the short journal style entries from the stalkers POV too. They helped make the issue out as a serious one, and also upped the creep factor. It kept me guessing, right up until the end about who was sending her photos and making calls. I was most definitely surprised. Overall, I enjoyed reading the first book in the Touch series and will be getting book 2 to continue the story. ( )
  AJ_Fairchild | Feb 2, 2014 |
The Moody Reader

Deadly Little Secret was good, well, it was not entirely great. There are flaws and of course, a little bit of cliché, was written all over the book. I’m almost definitely sure that I’d give this book a 2 stars rating because of the two characters. Camelia, dear god, woman. She can’t stop thinking about ben because of blah blah blah cliché cliché and there’s this I-like-you-but-for-some-reasons-it’s-like-we-can’t-be-together-but-hey-i-like-you thing going on and it was annoying.

What saved this book from me giving it a 2 freaking stars rating was, Camelia’s friends, Kimmie and Wes, they are hilarious and of course the suspense and mystery that’s surrounding it. There’s these extra entries between chapters written by the stalker, it was creepy as fuck and it will leave you guessing. When I found out who the stalker is, I was shocked. Honestly, it never even crossed my mind.

Well, over all, it was a good read. Even though there were times when I wanted to punch Camelia and Ben on the face. The suspense and mystery were really engrossing, it will keep you on turning the pages even more. ( )
  themoodyreader | Dec 15, 2013 |
For my mother,
who gave me the creativity to write,
and for MaryKay,
who showed me I could
I could have died three months ago. Ever since, things haven't been the same for me.

When someone starts stalking high school junior Camelia, everyone at school assumes that it is Ben, who is new at school and rumored to have killed his previous girlfriend, but Camelia is nevertheless inexplicably drawn to him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,957,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible