SantaThing sign up ends in 8:56 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Deadly Little Secret (2008)

by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Had this on my shelf for a while, finally decided to read it. After the first chapter, I had to check to see if it was published after Twilight. The opening scene is about a boy (stranger, strange) saving a girl from being run over by a call. Small town, small school. Soon after, Boy starts going to school and becomes Girl's lab partner, but he's standoffish and doesn't want to interact. Yeah... Sounds familiar?

If you liked Twilight or liked that story, then you would enjoy this. It's not a long book, you could finish it in one sitting. Perhaps it would make a good beach read. I had book 1 and 2 so I suppose I'll read up to Book 2, see if it diverges from the obvious Twilight story. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Reached chapter 20; whoever is writing that diary is a creepy, stalker, jack-ass!! I got to admit that the story might have started like Twilight with the whole car-crashing, saving-my-life incident, but it is turning differently somehow, with the creepy stalker!! Whom I can't figure out!! Of course he isn't Ben, but he could be Matt the ex, or Spencer the art teacher or my lucky guess Jamie, who never really talks to her but still he is everywhere she is!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Even after reading the synopsis, I still wasn't sure what to expect from Deadly Little Secret. I mistakenly thought it would lean more toward supernatural, with the emphasis on her being "drawn to his touch". In the end it was really more of a YA thriller/mystery, complete with threats and a creepy stalker, albeit a little slow paced for my liking.

I felt like the characters where likeable enough, but didn't exactly stand out to me in any way. I couldn't tell if Camelia was brave, or just stupid; someone is sending threatening letters, she hears peculiar noises, a stranger has been in her room, and yet she has no problem being home alone. Ben was a little more interesting, but his back story still doesn't sit well with me, even after learning the whole scenario. Obviously I don't want to ruin anything for potential readers, so I won't elaborate, but it didn't make me feel much better about the situation regarding his ex. The one character that I really couldn't stand was Camelia's best friend, Kimmie. She was so over the top and literally only talked about boys. There was one point where she was finally being a good friend, after learning how serious her friend's stalker issues had become, and I thought she might not be so bad after all. Wrong. That moment was very fleeting, and seconds later she reverted back to her overly sexual self, existing solely to talk about the hot guys at their school and forever trying to get their attention. It was very hard to buy that they were best friends when they seemed to have absolutely nothing in common. Then there's Wes, Camelia's other friend, who didn't really get developed enough to care about. I assume he only existed so Kimmie would have someone to engage in witty banter with.

The relationship between Camelia and Ben didn't have much of a chance to get off the ground. Half of the book consisted of him avoiding her or trying to convince her that her life was in danger. They still had some moments where they connected, but with all of the chaos of people accusing him of murdering his ex and her being threatened, there wasn't a whole lot of opportunity for it. He also has his ex-girlfriend's death hanging over him, haunting him, so that weighed into it a lot as well. Not an epic love story to be sure, however I'm still anxious to see how these characters develop in book two.

The overall plot was decent, although as I said before it was a little slow going. The author did an excellent job at misdirection. I thought I had figured out who the culprit was at the beginning of the book, and was pleased to find that I was completely wrong. The end felt a little rushed; I expected it to be a lot more suspenseful, but it all ended pretty abruptly. There wasn't really a cliffhanger, yet I still feel compelled to read the next book in the series to find out what happens next between Camelia and Ben.

Hey, maybe Kimmie will be more tolerable in Deadly Little Lies. I won't hold my breath on that one though.

If you would like to read more of my reviews, please check out my book review blog, Lucky Devil Reviews (http://www.luckydevilreviews.com) ( )
  luckydevilreviews | Jul 1, 2015 |
It was okay. However I felt like I was reading Twilight all over again. Too many things reminded me of Twilight. ( )
  mamelotti | Apr 24, 2015 |
For my mother,
who gave me the creativity to write,
and for MaryKay,
who showed me I could
I could have died three months ago. Ever since, things haven't been the same for me.

When someone starts stalking high school junior Camelia, everyone at school assumes that it is Ben, who is new at school and rumored to have killed his previous girlfriend, but Camelia is nevertheless inexplicably drawn to him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,643,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible