A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will…

A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Daniel H. Pink

Member:lorrielibrary2
Title:A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
Authors:Daniel H. Pink
Info:Riverhead Trade (2006), Edition: Rep Upd, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:El Sistema, Basic Arts 2010

A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel H. Pink (2006)

English (59)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  All (61)
This is one of those squishy, fuzzy books that pushes a supposed earth-shattering idea but doesn't quite back it up. More's the pity, for I really liked - and embraced - the concepts of Pink's later book, Drive. Pink does tell a good story, and it's a feel-good one at that, but he's wrong - Right-brainers will not rule the future...unless we're talking a few hundreds of years in the future, and then who knows?. The revolution can't get any traction here, and in Asia, the culture raises obstacles the Western mind doesn't factor in.

It does seem that I'm a lot more "right-brained" than I thought/think. Who'd a thunk it? ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I read this book because it was referred to in a book about the missional church I read (Hirsch and Ferguson's On the Verge). This book was better than that book.

The front cover bears the subtitle: " Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future." This is actually not Pink's contention at all and is likely something the publisher thought would help sell books. What Pink does say is that the left brain dominant activities like analysis, data crunching, etc., need to be balanced by right brain activities. Thus, we should develop our right-brain aptitudes so that we are using our 'whole brain' and not simply the right-brain instead of the left. So for him it isn't so much about right-brain dominance (contra the cover) as giving the rightbrain its due.

This is a business book and so Pink justifies his appeal to rightbrain aptitudes with a look at the bottomline. In his chapter, Abundance, Asia and Automation he explains his need to evoke the right brain for success in the future. Because of the abundance in our culture, people buy things that reflect their sense of beauty and personal taste rather than purely for their utility. Asia is significant because, increasingly companies are outsourcing to Asia for white collar jobs because they save a lot of money. By Automation, Pink means the ways in which computers are replacing many of the traditional left brain jobs (analysis, number crunching). With these realities impinging on job security, Pink asks you three questions: (1)Can someone overseas do it cheaper? (2) Can a computer do it faster? (3)Am I offering something that satisfies the nonmaterial, transcendent desires of an abundant age?

So what help can the right brain bring to our dilemma as we move from the left brain centured 'infomation age' to the Conceptual age? Pink suggests 6 senses (right brain aptitudes): Design, Story, Symphony (a more musical way of describing systems thinking), Empathy, Play, and Meaning.
Each section describes in detail how each of these can contribute to success and provides activities for increasing your aptitude or understanding of each of these 'senses.'

But in the end this book is a fun and easy read. I read it from cover to cover in almost one sitting. Some of its suggestions I may come back to.

Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Read it in one sitting. Excellent ideas presented clearly and in an entertaining style. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
A great and practical book that I have used and relied on in my daily business dealings. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
In this book Daniel Pink discusses how up until this point the Logical side of the brained ruled. Even our school test are designed strictly to test our knowledge not our creativity. He discusses how car companies have to do more than engineer a car the design has to be appealing. This book brought up som great ideas and posed many questions I will now be researching further. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
I have known strong minds, with imposing, undoubting, Cobbett-like manners; but I have never met a great mind of this sort. The truth is, a great mind must be androgynous.
—Samuel Taylor Coleridge
In memory of Mollie Lavin
The last few decades have belonged to a certain kind of person with a certain kind of mind—computer programmers who could crank code, lawyers who could craft contracts, MBAs who could crunch numbers.
The result: as the scut work gets off-loaded, engineers and programmers will have to master different aptitudes, relying more on creativity than competence, more on tacit knowledge than technical manuals, and more on fashioning the big picture than sweating the details.

Uses the two sides of the human brain as a metaphor for understanding how the information age came about throughout the course of the past generation, counseling readers on how to survive and find a place in the information society.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,442,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible