No title (2006)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel H. Pink (2006)

(14) brain (59) business (115) career (15) cognitive science (13) creative thinking (38) creativity (103) culture (10) design (38) education (42) future (30) innovation (24) Leadership (22) learning (14) management (19) mind (24) neuroscience (13) non-fiction (124) psychology (94) read (14) right brain (23) science (21) self-help (15) sociology (12) success (15) thinking (24) to-read (37) trends (13) unread (12) wishlist (18)

A note on the audio version... Read by the author, I think it is well done. However, if you are going to follow-up on any of his (helpful) suggestions (web pages, books, etc.) this format doesn't lend itself to easily accessing that information. ( )
  zoomball | Feb 25, 2014 |
This is an interesting, quick read. It struck me as yet another book that was basically a stretched out magazine article.
I wanted to REALLY like it because the thesis is that people like me are the future. But a lot of it seemed pretty obvious to me - not especially groundbreaking.

Two things - one factual and one speculative - caught my interest.

Factual - China and India are going to take a lot of services performed by Americans at a fraction of the cost (accounting, IT etc.) so Americans need to get better at "people skills."

Speculative - With most of our material needs satisfied, there is going to be a trend towards the spiritual. This may seem counter-intuitive but I agree with Mr. Pink on this one. Sex, drugs, pleasure seeking, materialism may seem ascendent, but they are ultimately unsatisfying. I have a feeling that the new Pope may be the beginning of a very interesting time in the world.

Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
MFA is the new MBA? I wish!
  WeaselOfDoom | Jul 24, 2013 |
Interesting book on how we are moving from a period where left-brainers (engineers, scientists) dominated to a time where people who are strong in both right and left brain skills, and especially the merging of the two sides, will be in more demand. It's such an interesting concept and raises a dilemma to the American education system which has been focusing on standardized tests and kill-and-drill approaches. Time to get out those crayons... ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
I was given this book when I joined a group called Create Huntington. It was given as sort of a home-work assignment as we work toward building a more creative community in my small hometown of Huntington, WV.

Overall, I think Pink hits the nail on the head though, truth be told, I began reading the book with a bit of animosity considering he attacks my profession, Software Engineering, right off the bat. Fortunately I think he misses the mark in regards to that particular field in his failure to understand the amount of creativity that is needed within it.

Pink makes a simple but effective case, in general, for why manufacturing jobs and anything else that just takes people and time won't be the future of the US economy. We can't even begin to compete against nations such as India and China where they have millions of people training in the traditional "powerhouse fields" of medicine or programming as well as nearly endless supplies of lower wage laborers who can assemble things just as well as anyone in the states.

Instead our future is in providing creativity and generating value out of the leisure time can afford to apply to the products and services the rest of the world is creating.

Granted, I don't think that we will survive just be being creative; we need to become the producers of things as well but the only way we will be able to leverage our production is by making the end product stand out and the only way we can do that is by applying our creativity to the problems the products solve.

We don't own the market on creativity but, as a people, we have more time and freedom to pursue it so we need to lead the way before we find ourselves being left behind. ( )
  finalcut | Apr 2, 2013 |
I have known strong minds, with imposing, undoubting, Cobbett-like manners; but I have never met a great mind of this sort. The truth is, a great mind must be androgynous. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge
In memory of Mollie Lavin
The last few decades have belonged to a certain kind of person with a certain kind of mind -- computer programmers who could crank code, lawyers who could craft contracts, MBAs who could crunch numbers.
The result: as the scut work gets off-loaded, engineers and programmers will have to master different aptitudes, relying more on creativity than competence, more on tacit knowledge than technical manuals, and more on fashioning the big picture than sweating the details.

Uses the two sides of the human brain as a metaphor for understanding how the information age came about throughout the course of the past generation, counseling readers on how to survive and find a place in the information society.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible