No title (2006)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future by Daniel H. Pink (2006)

Read for consulting class. More like 3.5 stars. Although I take slight issue with the slant of the book (how to compete with foreigners, to whom our jobs are being outsourced), there is a decent amount to take from this quick read. Living life mindfully, from a more right brained perspective, is a good goal. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
A note on the audio version... Read by the author, I think it is well done. However, if you are going to follow-up on any of his (helpful) suggestions (web pages, books, etc.) this format doesn't lend itself to easily accessing that information. ( )
  zoomball | Feb 25, 2014 |
This is an interesting, quick read. It struck me as yet another book that was basically a stretched out magazine article.
I wanted to REALLY like it because the thesis is that people like me are the future. But a lot of it seemed pretty obvious to me - not especially groundbreaking.

Two things - one factual and one speculative - caught my interest.

Factual - China and India are going to take a lot of services performed by Americans at a fraction of the cost (accounting, IT etc.) so Americans need to get better at "people skills."

Speculative - With most of our material needs satisfied, there is going to be a trend towards the spiritual. This may seem counter-intuitive but I agree with Mr. Pink on this one. Sex, drugs, pleasure seeking, materialism may seem ascendent, but they are ultimately unsatisfying. I have a feeling that the new Pope may be the beginning of a very interesting time in the world.

Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
MFA is the new MBA? I wish!
  WeaselOfDoom | Jul 24, 2013 |
I have known strong minds, with imposing, undoubting, Cobbett-like manners; but I have never met a great mind of this sort. The truth is, a great mind must be androgynous. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge
In memory of Mollie Lavin
The last few decades have belonged to a certain kind of person with a certain kind of mind -- computer programmers who could crank code, lawyers who could craft contracts, MBAs who could crunch numbers.
The result: as the scut work gets off-loaded, engineers and programmers will have to master different aptitudes, relying more on creativity than competence, more on tacit knowledge than technical manuals, and more on fashioning the big picture than sweating the details.

Uses the two sides of the human brain as a metaphor for understanding how the information age came about throughout the course of the past generation, counseling readers on how to survive and find a place in the information society.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,495,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible