Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess by Bobby Fischer

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess

by Bobby Fischer, Stuart Margulies (Author), Donn Mosenfelder (Author)

An interesting way to teach chess. This is designed to make you think. It is a position book, showing you positions and asking for answers. It focuses on tactics. ( )
  Borg-mx5 | Mar 14, 2010 |
Let us be first aware that Bobby Fischer did not write this book. He allowed for the use of his name. The authors are Stuart Margulies and Donn Mosenfelder, both of Educational Design, Inc.

You will not need your pocket set for this book, only a pencil. Each page contains a diagram in which you are asked to find the best move, show the first move in a combination, et cetera. I hated to write in a book, but went ahead with it anyway, as the alternative would be overly complicated.

The entire book concentrates on Endgame alone. The first half of the book I breezed through in about a half hour--very simple problems. When you are finished you turn the book upside down and begin from the back of the last page, which is now the front of the 1st page, 2nd half... These take quite a bit more thought.

I liked the fact that you must visualize the moves, as you would in an actual game. This takes some practice. I learned some new chess lingo here: Interposition, Displacing, Driving away... I know that I will indeed be better at mating--something I very much needed a firmer grasp of.

It is true that there are much better books on Endgame out there, and that this book is even at first misrepresenting of itself. Bobby Fischer does manage to write a couple of sentences (and I mean 2). Also, in the introduction the two authors introduce themselves and explain their learning technique, which may not be groundbreaking, but is novel. I enjoyed picking up the book and a pencil and working problems at my leisure without the need of my pocket set. However, I am now ready to trade in my pencil for it back after this unique experience in chess reading.

By the way, I kept an honest record of problems that I got wrong--39 out of 300-something. A testament to the book's overall novice level. ( )
1 vote endersreads | Jun 8, 2009 |
A pretty standard chess instruction manual, definitely not one of the better books on the subject that I found when I was interested.

A definite take it or leave it, unless you were a huge Fischer nut or somesuch.

Look elsewhere. ( )
  bluetyson | Apr 7, 2008 |
I'm sure I'm not alone in having first learned chess from this book. I've always wondered just how involved Fischer was in writing it, though. ( )
  szarka | Mar 18, 2007 |
the 70's,,,back in the day,,, ( )
  lachatte | Dec 28, 2006 |

Fischer, Bobbyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Margulies, StuartAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mosenfelder, DonnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ault, Leslie H.Translatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Teaches common mating positions and combinations, conventional moves and principles to apply when playing chess.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,256,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible