Suuri lammasseikkailu by Haruki Murakami

Suuri lammasseikkailu (original 1982; edition 2009)

by Haruki Murakami, Leena Tamminen (KÄÄnt.)

Series: The Rat (3)

Member:julienne_preacher
Title:Suuri lammasseikkailu
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Other authors:Leena Tamminen (KÄÄnt.)
Info:Helsinki : Tammi, 2009.
Collections:2012, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, Japanese literature, sheep, magical realism, quest, ears

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami (1982)

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (cpav55, NatalieSW)
    cpav55: Ademt dezelfde sfeer als De jacht op het verloren schaap.
    NatalieSW: Has a similarly odd look at a world that is like ours but off-kilter in a magical, philosophically absurd way.
    Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami (cpav55)
    cpav55: Dance Dance Dance (Dans Dans Dans) maakt met Pinball 1973 en De jacht op het verloren schaap min of meer deel uit van de serie, maar het zijn wel losstaande verhalen.
    After the Quake by Haruki Murakami (2810michael)
    The Castle by Franz Kafka (olonec)
    olonec: chase, chase, chase
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (koenvanq)
    Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (WSB7)
    WSB7: Vonnegut's take on the world is so similar to Murakami's
    Pinball, 1973 by Haruki Murakami (cpav55)
    cpav55: Pinball 1973, Dans Dans Dans en De jacht op het verloren schaap vormen min of meer een serie, maar zijn wel losstaande verhalen.

English (86)  French (7)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  All (107)
You truly have to put aside reality to read Murakami's books sometimes. For instance, this book centers around a special sheep that one very influential guy may have encountered 40 years ago and it may have changed his life. But we are not sure, because he is actually in a coma. Never-the-less the hunt is on to find this very special sheep! Problem? "The life expectancy of sheep is similar to large breeds of dogs, about 10 to 12 years. Some breeds are known for being longer-lived, e.g. Merino. According to the Guiness Book of World Records, the oldest sheep lived to be 23. She was a Merino." So, this sheep could not possibly still be around. Oh wait...I forgot. This is supposed to be a new breed of sheep. So now it all makes sense again. Right? Nope.

I totally wish I had read this one with a book group because I have that many questions. His endings always leave me saying, "But wait! Why did...? and what happened to...? and what did you mean by...? and how could s/he...?" And still, I love his books. Unpredictable, thought-provoking, fun, smart and unforgettable. The last is the thing that keeps drawing me in. No one else writes characters and plot like Murakami does. The protagonist was never even named. In 353 pages! The story is told in the first person, which usually bothers me, but the story wasn't littered with constant "I"s, so it didn't. In fact, many of the characters have no "name": There is the ex-wife, the girlfriend, The Rat, The Sheep Professor, The Boss, The Chauffeur, etc. Fascinating and recommended. ( )
  Berly | May 8, 2017 |
An exploration of the human condition in which the protagonist is never named.
  MichaelAckerman | Feb 28, 2017 |
This was a fun romp. A bit of mysticism and magic, kind of angry sheep, and a journey to the ends of the world (or Japan, anyway). ( )
  mhanlon | Jan 26, 2017 |
An under-motivated small-time Tokyo entrepreneur is bullied into looking for a very strange sheep. He discovers that said sheep has been running Japan since the end of the Second World War. I have read more preposterous scenarios but few more amusing. A wry read, and very delectable in the last third, when the hero lodges in my idea of paradise, a well-stocked isolated house in the woods in an area known for its paralyzing winters. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Jan 17, 2017 |
My first Murakami, and I really liked it. This is kind of a postmodern farce, a zany, sometimes fantastic adventure that investigates notions of truth, mortality, and language as the unnamed protagonist sets out on a quest to discover a mysterious sheep that appears to possess human bodies and endow them with immortality. I love trying to puzzle out how the disparate parts of the book link together, and I my feeling right now is that the overriding theme is the existential despair that seems to set in around age 30, that feeling of mortality tied to feeling how quickly time passes and little you've accomplished with your life. Whoa, this review just started getting kind of personal ... ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Birnbaum, AlfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortmanns-Suzuki, AnnelieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stalph, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, LeenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerhoven, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a short one-paragraph item in the morning edition.
I went back to the riverside road, and by the time I'd managed to catch a taxi the rain was coming down in a drizzle. To the hotel, I said.

"Here on a trip?" asked the old driver.

"Uh-huh."

"First time in these parts?"

"Second time," I said.
There are symbolic dreams — dreams that symbolize some reality. Then there are symbolic realities — realities that symbolize a dream. Symbols are what you might call the honorary town councillors of the worm universe. In the worm universe, there is nothing unusual about a dairy cow seeking a pair of pliers. A cow is bound to get her pliers sometime. It has nothing to do with me.

Yet the fact that the cow chose me to obtain her pliers changes everything. This plunges me into a whole universe of alternative considerations. And in this universe of alternative considerations, the major problem is that everything becomes protracted and complex. I ask the cow, "Why do you want pliers?" And the cow answers, "I'm really hungry" So I ask, "Why do you need pliers if you're hungry?" The cow answers, "To attach them to branches of the peach tree." I ask, "Why a peach tree?" To which the cow replies, "Well, that's why I traded away my fan, isn't it?" And so on and so forth. The thing is never resolved, I begin to resent the cow, and the cow begins to resent me. That's a worm's eye view of its universe. The only way to get out of that worm universe is to dream another symbolic dream.

The place where that enormous four-wheeled vehicle transported me this September afternoon was surely the epicenter of the worm universe. In other words, my prayer had been denied.

I took a look around me and held my breath. Here was the stuff of breath taking.
To sleep with a woman: it can seem of the utmost importance in your mind, or then again it can seem like nothing much at all. Which only goes to say that there's sex as therapy (self-therapy, that is) and there's sex as pastime.

There's sex for self-improvement start to finish and there's sex for killing time straight through; sex that is therapeutic at first only to end up as nothing-better-to-do, and vice-versa. Our human sex life — how shall I put it? — differs fundamentally from the sex life of the whale.

We are not whales — and this constitutes one great theme underscoring our sex life.
"Let me be as frank as possible with you," the man spoke up. his speech had the ring of a direct translation from a formulaic text. his choice of phrase and grammar was correct enough, but there was no feeling in his words.

"Speaking frankly and speaking the truth are two different things entirely. Honesty is to truth as prow is to stern. Honesty appears first and truth appears last. The interval between varies in direct proportion to the size of the ship. With anything of size, truth takes a long time in coming. Sometimes it only manifests itself posthumously. Therefore, should I impart you with no truth at this juncture, that is through no fault of mine. Nor yours."
"I lit up a second cigarette and ordered another whiskey. The second whiskey is always my favorite. From the third on, it no longer has any taste. It's just something to pour into your stomach."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037571894X, Paperback)

A marvelous hybrid of mythology and mystery, A Wild Sheep Chase is the extraordinary literary thriller that launched Haruki Murakami’s international reputation.

It begins simply enough: A twenty-something advertising executive receives a postcard from a friend, and casually appropriates the image for an insurance company’s advertisement. What he doesn’t realize is that included in the pastoral scene is a mutant sheep with a star on its back, and in using this photo he has unwittingly captured the attention of a man in black who offers a menacing ultimatum: find the sheep or face dire consequences. Thus begins a surreal and elaborate quest that takes our hero from the urban haunts of Tokyo to the remote and snowy mountains of northern Japan, where he confronts not only the mythological sheep, but the confines of tradition and the demons deep within himself. Quirky and utterly captivating, A Wild Sheep Chase is Murakami at his astounding best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:55 -0400)

It begins simply enough: A twenty-something advertising executive receives a postcard from a friend, and casually appropriates the image for an insurance company's advertisement. What he doesnb2st realize is that included in the pastoral scene is a mutant sheep with a star on its back, and in using this photo he has unwittingly captured the attention of a man in black who offers a menacing ultimatum: find the sheep or face dire consequences. Thus begins a surreal and elaborate quest that takes our hero from the urban haunts of Tokyo to the remote and snowy mountains of northern Japan, where he confronts not only the mythological sheep, but the confines of tradition and the demons deep within himself.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,504,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible