Unwelcome Bodies by Jennifer Pelland

Unwelcome Bodies (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Jennifer Pelland

Member:donnambr
Title:Unwelcome Bodies
Authors:Jennifer Pelland
Info:
Collections:Audiobooks, Your library

Unwelcome Bodies by Jennifer Pelland (2008)

I love the unifying thread of this anthology which is summed up beautifully in the title: Unwelcome Bodies. Bodies that are changed or uncomfortable or deformed or manipulated; each story concerns itself with the body and self in a speculative environment. I am fascinated and captivated by each and every one of these stories. ( )
  rrainer | Apr 30, 2013 |
Unwelcome Bodies is a collection of, well, frankly, utterly unnerving tales. It’s rare for me to review SFF and rare for me to review short stories, so a combination of both is practically unheard of. However, Jennifer Pelland’s collection looked to be full of intriguing ideas and I wanted to try something new.

Pelland presents a range of scenarios that range from slightly eerie to full blown frightening. From the story about the woman whose sister has been sewn into her body to the man on a quest to find the key to eternal life, these are thought provoking stories of what life in the future could be like. I found myself flitting from repulsion to fear to awe as I worked my way through the volume.

Each story is a relatively short length and easily digestible. All are followed by notes from the author, divulging ‘the story behind the story’. The volume is well narrated by Linette Geisel, who applies a steady pace and clear enunciation, making this a relatively easy listen for such a disturbing volume. If it lacks in one thing, it’s quite possibly in the editorial of the narration. There were times when the end of a story and the beginning of the ‘notes’ ran so closely together it took me a moment to realise that the story had finished. However, this is a minor complaint and only occurred a small number of times across the seven hour volume.

As a fan of John Wyndham and Isaac Asimov I often wonder why I don’t really consider myself a science-fiction fan these days. Reading/listening to a volume such as this makes me realise that this isn’t a genre I should close myself off to. This was one of the most intriguing volumes of short stories I’ve encountered. Pelland is an excellent storyteller with a vivid imagination. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend her writing or to look out for future volumes.

Note: I received this audiobook from Audiobook Jukebox in exchange for a fair and honest review. I did not receive any further compensation. All views are my own. ( )
  donnambr | Jan 12, 2013 |
Jennifer Pelland's short story collection has been number one on my wishlist for some time now, so of course I started reading it as soon as I picked it up at last weekends readercon. I was not disappointed either. Jenn deserves the rave reviews I first read on Amazon. Her stories cover a broad range of topics as varied as speculative fiction itself, ranging from dystopian societies to environmental issues to flat out abuse. The ability to write across such a wide range while keeping one's voice as a writer intact is the mark of a natural talent. And I admire her unflinching willingness to write about things that disturb her. Often these are the subjects others aren't willing to discuss, and beyond the tragedy or horror of the individual story is a warning or a philosophical musing. I cringed, I laughed, and at one point I had to take a deep breath and put the book down, I was so engrossed. Jenn is a voice for those of us who like our speculative fiction broiling over with grit and dark things that go bump in the night. ( )
  rebelaessedai | Aug 3, 2011 |
It took me a while to finish Unwelcome Bodies: I discovered that after reading each story I needed recovery time, the same way I did when I first read Harlan Ellison (his stories from the 60s-70s, before he disappeared up his own enfant terrible legend), because however fantastic or futuristic the settings, the people and emotions are true and the stories cut deep.
I read "Big Sister/Little Sister" in the evening, and it seriously interfered with my sleep, so consider yourself warned. On the other hand, there are pieces like "When Science Fiction Cliches Go Bad" which are just plain fun, almost guaranteed to leave you unscarred. ( )
  bmlg | Mar 30, 2011 |
Phenomenal!!

I couldn't put this book down. Normally, I don't read a lot of sci-fi, but after reading this collection of terrifying sci-fi stories, I can't wait to pick up more. I wonder what took me so long. Other than one story that really wasn't my taste, every single story was exciting and new and just a great read. I really liked that Pelland wrote about a lot of female protagonists, which seems to be missing in a lot of speculative fiction. It was refreshing. The writing was top notch. Loved it. ( )
  lesleydawn | Mar 5, 2009 |
To Andy and all the cats who've kept me company as I've written.
Kathleen Murphy gripped her can of mace tightly as she rode the Red Line to work, hands sweating inside the latex of her surgical gloves.

Pain. Pleasure. The sensation of touch.we feel everything through our skin, that delicate membrane separating ""I"" from ""other,"" protecting the very essence of self. Until it breaks. Or changes. Or burns. What would you do if you were the one called on to save humanity, and the price you had to pay was becoming something other than human? Or if healing your body meant losing the only person you've ever loved? Wander through worlds where a woman craves even a poisonous touch.a man's deformities become a society's fashion.genetic regeneration keeps the fires of Hell away.and painted lovers risk everything to break the boundaries of their caste system down. Separate your mind from your flesh and come in. Welcome.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:25 -0400)

Jennifer Pelland is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

9 wanted1 pay1 pay

Apex Publications

An edition of this book was published by Apex Publications.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,352,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible