Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

You Wouldn't Want to be a Victorian Mill…

You Wouldn't Want to be a Victorian Mill Worker!: A Grueling Job You'd… (2007)

by John Malam

Other authors: David Antram (Illustrator)

Series: You Wouldn't Want to (Be)

I gave this book five stars because it was very educational, it had good facts and it was an easy read. The book had nice pictures, and the story was written in a way that made you feel part of it. I felt the pain that those poor children felt when they got whipped by an overseer, or got cotton fibers stuck in their eyes.(- causes swelling and very itchy eyes.) I'm glad that I was born in the twenty-first century, and that I don't need to work in a dirty, hot, oily mill. And I think all kids should be thankful for that. We all know that we have someone in the world that cares about us, but back then you weren't so sure.
This was a very interesting book.

This book talks about why you wouldn't want to be a Victorian mill worker. The year is 1842 and the law is that children at the age of nine to thirteen, only need to work for nine hours a day in the mill. Still some mill owners get away with making kids work thirteen-and a half hours a day. Children get played three shillings( about $20,50), and adults nine shillings.
( about $61,50) Working in a mill is very dangerous believe it or not. Every day girls would die, because their long hair would get caught in machines, and they would get crushed by them. Children were always very likely to go deaf, cause a mill is one of the noisiest places that you can be in. Some caught a painful coughing disease from other weavers called Tuberculosis. They also had to watch out for the sharp metal pins on the carding machines, they could prick your fingers. So back then mills weren't really child friendly, and children were mistreated. Today kids are very lucky. ( )
  IsabelG.B1 | Dec 29, 2016 |

John Malamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Antram, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The mills of Lancashire are hungry for cotton, which they turn into valuable cotton cloth.

If you were a 12-year-old mill worker in the Victorian era, you'd probably live in some dirty, crowded cellar and work in a hot, stuffy factory more than 13.5 hours a day. But things could be worse. You could get hurt on the job and lose a finger. Or you could be burned in a mill fire and lose your life!

Describes the many dangerous jobs performed by children who worked in the cotton mills of industrial England in the nineteenth century, work that included long hours, low pay, and no provision for school work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,528,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible