100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson

100 Cupboards

by N. D. Wilson

English (52)  German (1)  All languages (53)
Good. Too dark for me and mine. But well written and quite interesting.
  joshrskinner | Jul 30, 2014 |
Book 1 in the '100 Cupboards Trilogy': This is another story that eventually leads to 'we aren't in Kansas anymore'! It starts off slow, but midway through the book, it picks up steam and never slacks. There are elements of the 2006 movie, 'The Lake House' and of the books: 'Indian In The Cupboard', 'A Wrinkle in Time' and 'Narnia' -- where the ordinary crosses over to the magical. This is a story of inter-dimensional travel and of alternate realities akin to Narnia, only that they don't begin in a closet, but in 100 Cupboards. Onwards to Books 2 & 3. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Henry’s parents have been kidnapped, so his aunt and uncle and their three daughters have taken him in. Things are different at Uncle Frank and Aunt Dotty’s house. Henry’s overprotective parents made him eat healthy food, ride in a carseat until he was nine, and wear a helmet at recess. But now Henry eats hotdogs, drinks soda, plays baseball, and owns a knife. But things get even more interesting for Henry when he discovers that there are dozens of little doors under the plaster of the walls in his attic bedroom, and that these doors are portals to other worlds!

I love the premise of 100 Cupboards — the idea of a room full of tiny strange-looking doors to other worlds is fun and appealing to children, who are N.D. Wilson’s target audience. My kids (ages 9 and 12), who listened to 100 Cupboards with me, did enjoy the characters and the story. We listened to Listening Library’s version read by the agreeable, but just a little too mature-sounding, Russell Horton.

N.D. Wilson spends most of the book building up Henry’s character, showing us that Henry’s been sheltered and consequently he’s kind of wimpy and fearful, and that Henry realizes this and he’s ready to try to overcome his upbringing. The dialogue is pleasant, and many of the interactions with his new family are sweet and poignant (though Henry’s lack of concern for his parents is disturbing). But all of this character development comes at the expense of the plot, which doesn’t really start moving until the last 20% of the book.

Eventually, toward the end, we finally get to visit a couple of the worlds behind the doors and things get scary and bloody (it may be too frightening for some young readers). This, surprisingly, is when the plot thins. The fantasy worlds behind the doors are, so far, lacking in depth. It is probable (almost certain, really) that these worlds seem slim now because we’ve only spent a few pages there and that they’ll expand into something more impressive in the sequel, Dandelion Fire. There are many hints that 100 Cupboards is a build-up to something much bigger, and there’s lots of potential here. I’m disappointed that there wasn’t much payoff in this installment, but I won’t feel like I wasted my time if the sequel delivers. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Book Ends book. So-so.
  butterkidsmom | Jan 18, 2014 |
Henry moves in with is Aunt and Uncle in Kansas because his parents have been kidnapped in Columbia. He finds 99 cupboards in the attic where he is sleeping and finds all new worlds behind them.

I really liked this book. I'm excited to read the next one. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
For my grandfathers: Lt. Col. Lawrence Aubrey Greensides, USAF (Ret.), and Lt. James Irwin Wilson, USN (Ret.), who tilled the soil of my imagination.
Henry, Kansas, is a hot town.

Henry bliver vækket af en sær bankelyd fra væggen over hans seng. Et øjeblik efter falder små stykker puds ned over ham, og to runde greb kommer til syne. Det ene af dem drejer langsomt rundt. Henry er netop flyttet ind på loftsværelset hos sin onkel, tante og tre kusiner langt ude på landet i Kansas. Væggen ved hans seng vender ud mod enorme marker – rent faktisk burde der ikke være noget som helst på den anden side. Men da han og kusine Henrietta går i gang med at pille mere puds ned, finder de en masse små låger. Og de fører ikke ud til markerne. Gennem en af dem kan man høre silende regn og vindens susen i træerne. Og gennem en anden kan de se et oplyst rum og en mand, der fordeler post. Bag en tredje låge fornemmer Henry en sær og lurende ondskab, der bare venter på at blive sat fri. Pludselig dumper der et brev ind til ham…

Twelve-year-old Henry York wakes up one night to find bits of plaster in his hair. Two knobs have broken through the wall above his bed and one of them is slowly turning . . .Henry scrapes the plaster off the wall and discovers cupboards of all different sizes and shapes. Through one he can hear the sound of falling rain. Through another he sees a glowing room–with a man pacing back and forth! Henry soon understands that these are not just cupboards, but portals to other worlds.

100 Cupboards is the first book of a new fantasy adventure, written in the best world-hopping tradition and reinvented in N. D. Wilson’s inimitable style.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:16 -0400)

After his parents are kidnapped, timid twelve-year-old Henry York leaves his sheltered Boston life and moves to small-town Kansas, where he and his cousin Henrietta discover and explore hidden doors in his attic room that seem to open onto other worlds.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible