Appetite for Life by Noël Riley Fitch

Appetite for Life (1997)

by Noël Riley Fitch

A delightful look at the life of one of America's greatest cooks, Julia Child. The title of the book is an apt one, as Julia lived a rich, full life, just like her cooking. After attending Smith College, she began working for the OSS, and was privy to many top secret US intelligence documents. After her marriage to Paul Child, she took up an interest in cooking, which spawned a career.

The book is well-written. For me, the most interesting parts where Julia's time in France, the writing of her first cookbook, and the filming of her first TV series, The French Chef. Anyone with an interest in this larger than life lady will enjoy this book. ( )
  briandrewz | Sep 9, 2016 |
500 pages of Julia Child is a lot. Ms Child is worth 500 pages, though, and she offered up plenty of written material to base the book on, so it's an interesting read.

I'd say that unless you're really, really into Julia, reading "My Life if France" is enough. In fact, if you haven't read that one, you should.

Even though I'd already read about that portion of her life, I found the bits about her learning to cook and researching the recipes for Mastering the Art of French Cooking to be the most interesting part of the book.
  periwinklejane | Mar 31, 2013 |
Didn't like the author's writing style. Might try to read again later. ( )
  E. | Oct 17, 2012 |
Over the top, almost worshipful book about how MARVELOUS and REMARKABLE Julia Child was. It spend way, way too much time on her family history, both sides, her childhood, her education, and then finally got to her adult life and service in the OSS. That was only mildly interesting, and I decided I just couldn't forge through the rest of this book. I really like and admire Julia Child, but this was flat and poorly written. 1 star. ( )
  cmbohn | Jun 25, 2010 |
I very much wanted to know about Julia Child and this book did not disappoint however, it so tediously details everything she ever did that I found it impossible to finish. I gave up after getting half way through and completed "My Life In France" by Julia Child instead. I agree with other reviews that it also come across as a "worship" book where the subject can do no wrong, which as a biography does a great disservice. ( )
2 vote HunyBadger | May 25, 2010 |

Noël Riley Fitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385493835, Paperback)

Noel Riley Fitch's savory new biography, Appetite for Life, reveals a woman as appealing as the good food and serious cooking she popularized. As a California girl and Smith College undergraduate, Fitch writes, Julia McWilliams was notable for her high spirits and voracious appetite. Performing intelligence work in Asia during World War II, she met Paul Child, and their marriage of mutual devotion and affection endured until his death in 1994. His postwar assignment took them to France, where she discovered her true calling.

Fitch reminds us that Child championed fresh ingredients at a time when frozen foods and TV dinners dominated American supermarket shelves, and that she demystified haute cuisine with her earthy humor and casual attitude toward mistakes. This affectionate portrait of the remarkable Julia Child reflects her fervent belief that the pleasures of the table are a natural accompaniment to the pleasures of life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:53 -0400)

Describes the life and career of the French chef and television personality, from her wealthy childhood in California and married years in France to her successful cooking show in the United States.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,737,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible