Testimony by Anita Shreve

Testimony

by Anita Shreve

1,705None4,166 (3.51)101
(8) 2008 (13) 2009 (26) 2010 (9) audio (8) audiobook (7) boarding school (46) contemporary fiction (22) fiction (216) library (8) literary fiction (9) New England (13) novel (17) own (7) prep school (12) private school (18) rape (8) read (21) read in 2008 (12) read in 2009 (25) scandal (48) sex (16) sex scandal (16) sexual assault (9) suicide (12) teen (8) teenagers (19) to-read (26) unread (9) Vermont (29)

English (126)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (129)
This was a great read! i loved reading all of the different perspectives of the story. the technique was flawlessly executed & added to the suspense of the story. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
I liked the way it was written in so many different voices. It was well down, the characters well written. As someone who lives in small town Vermont I found the cliches about the town and the people there to be a bit much but not too bad. ( )
  castironskillet | Aug 13, 2013 |
This is, ultimately, a love story. Not a love story of the traditional sense of the word – or phrase – but rather, a story about the different forms of love, and how they react when confronted with a catastrophe of unimaginable scales.

It is a story about repentance.
‘I understand you have to pay. I get that part. My question is this: For how long?’

Regret.
‘If I could go back, I would erase that day, that night.’
‘If only I had left. If only I hadn’t been so drunk. If only I hadn’t been so angry.’

Incredulity.
‘No mother believed it possible of her own child.’
‘Where is Silas? Where is my beautiful boy?’

Anger.
‘“Do you have any idea what you have done? What you have thrown away?”’

Self-doubt.
‘Should I have been more strict? Should I have been less strict? It’s hard to know in retrospect.’

Greed.
‘The real reason I’m salivating is because I know I’m about to tap into the best possible source a reporter on this kind of a story could ever want. Students.’

It is the story of a multitude of people, all connected by the scandal.
‘It was a small cassette, not much bigger than the palm of his hand,’

It is a story trying to convey the message: no one is perfect.
It is a story showing how people exploit hurtful things to get a place on the front page.
It is a story about how some love will prevail and flourish even when faced with crises, and how other love with wither and die given the slightest excuse.

I agree with the message this book was trying to put forth, to make us understand. It disappointed me, though. The story was progressing with the pace of a snail. And not just any snail – a half-asleep snail without much motivation to move.

Probably, if I read this book in, say, five years, I will raise the rating. Right now, though, too little is happening and the things that are happening are too predictable. That, and the fact that I have a serious issue with Sienna.

I know that one should not judge a book by the characters in it – there has to be the ‘bad guy’ in the plot for the story to be successful, after all – but, so sue me, it happens every time. Usually, I’m fine with almost everything the ‘bad guy’ does – you locked the heroine up? Fine, go ahead – she deserved it. You killed the main character? He was bound to die anyway the way he was carrying on. But to make up rape accusations as a way to save your own skin? No. Just no. ( )
  Joyce.Leung | May 24, 2013 |
It's a wonderful written story about a tragic occurrence at a privat school in Vermont. The incident is written on the point of view from participants which are different in age as well in the involvement of their part. As a reader I've got an insight without any estimation for one or the other. Even though what had gone on was something anybody wouldn't wish for someone else and could change life of many people it is also a situation where anybody can drop in. As parents we are obliged to protect our children from such circumstances by explain them how to conduct themselves in those situations but we'll get never the security if it'll work out in a good way. ( )
  Ameise1 | May 9, 2013 |
I enjoyed this title, especially the multiple perspectives told in varying persons (1st, 2nd, 3rd). It jumped around in time, but it was an interesting way to tell what unfolded. Each person's perspective was unique and helped to show the theme that one incident can affect many, many people, institutions, and communities - much more than just the people immediately involved in the incident. ( )
  kimreadthis | Apr 26, 2013 |
This is my second read for this author and I have to say, I am underwhelmed... after reading Rescue, I was looking forward to reading more by Anita Shreve but Testimony seemed to miss the mark.

A very enticing topic, I thought this book held a lot of promise. However, I found that the book lacked organization and that would be it's main downfall, in my opinion. It seemed to jump from year-to-year without mention of when it was and while this is normally not an issue, it was hard to figure out and I spend unnecessary time figuring it out. Also, the jumping from character to character, when added to the year-to-year jumping, was very confusing. Having so many characters involved, I almost needed a family tree/chart to keep track of who each person was and what their involvement in the story/crime was... very hard to track.

On a whole, the story was very good. I enjoyed the plot and I liked the twist that comes towards the end, regarding Silas and his family. It was very unexpected and definitely made me read that much harder to get to the bottom of the story.

Overall, I am glad that I have read this book and being at a 50% for the author, I will give her another try.

I would encourage every parent of a teenage girl to give her a copy of Testimony. Certainly, it contains several passages that are bleakly obscene. But it also offers girls the exact kind of story they want to read

for Michael Pietsch
It was a small cassette, not much bigger than the palm of his hand, and when Mike thought about the terrible license and risk exhibited on the tape, as well as its resultant destructive power, it was as though the two-by-three plastic package had been radioactive.

From book cover: At a prestigious New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora's box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voices -- those of the men, women, and teenagers involved. Mike Bordwin, the headmaster, struggles to contain the scandal before it destroys the school. Silas Quinney, a well-liked local boy, grapples with the tremendous consequences of his mistakes. Anna, his mother, confronts her own forbidden temptations. And Sienna, an enigmatic and troubled young woman, tries to put her past behind her. As the chorus of voices rises to a crescendo, it reveals the surprising truth of what occurred that night, and how the ives touched by these events will be forever transformed.

Writing with a pace and intensity surpassing even her own greatest work, Anita Shreve delivers in TESTIMONY a gripping emotional drama with the impact of a thriller. No one more compellingly explores the dark impulses that sway the lives of seeming innocents, the needs and fears that drive ordinary men and women into intolerable dilemmas, and the ways in which our best intentions can lead to our worst transgressions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:02 -0400)

At a New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora's box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voices--those of the men, women, teenagers, and parents involved in the scandal--that details the ways in which lives can be derailed or destroyed in one foolish moment.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible