Testimony: A Novel by Anita Shreve

Testimony: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Anita Shreve

Member:booketta
Title:Testimony: A Novel
Authors:Anita Shreve
Info:Back Bay Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:To read

Testimony by Anita Shreve

English (129)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (132)
I couldn't put this down, read it in three days. All the characters emerged as people I felt I knew and understood. The weaving together of many points of view was effective for this story where each person has a different perspective on events that rushed out of control ( )
  CathrynGrant | Nov 20, 2014 |
4.5 stars

When headmaster of private boarding school Avery Academy, Mike, views a tape, he is shocked to discover that three 18- and 19-year old boys sexually assaulted a 14-year old girl and all were students at Avery. Well, the girl seemed pretty willing on tape, but due to her age, in Vermont, it's considered sexual assault. The aftermath of the video has far-reaching consequences for more than just the main people involved in the scandal.

The book is told from many different people's points of view, including Mike, the students involved, some of the parents, other students in the school, and more. I listened to the audio, which was done by quite a large cast, as there was a separate narrator for each character as each character spoke from their point of view. I was pulled in from the start, and often wanted to be listening when I wasn't. But be warned that the opening scene is graphic – it does detail what Mike is watching on the video.

I had a bit of trouble deciding what to rate the book. After a day to think about it, I'm going with: 4.25 stars, but I'm adding an extra ¼ star for the extremely well-done audio. This will likely put it on my favourites list at the end of this year. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 6, 2014 |
This book was a quick read that I found interesting. The series of ev ents that leads to the suicide of a well liked, talented student is disturbing. kept my attention and interest. ( )
  janismack | Jun 27, 2014 |
I was very disappointed. Testimony is a depressing book about an incident that ruins a lot of lives but in the end is a cautionary tale such as can be read all too often in any newspaper. Shreve does make what happens in the aftermath explicit - something news stories rarely do. (Although I have to say that a recent long story about the parents of a woman murdered in a domestic violence incident and their hindsight in not recognizing the signs, was more moving than this novel.) I'm not sure what I expected, but it was not this. I think maybe I was looking for insight, not into how mistakes can sometimes have horrible consequences, but how such indents can be handled by the school and the victims. The boys who engaged in sexual activity with a consenting minor are just as much victims as she is a victim. I also found her allegation of rape to be a tired cliché.

While this is not a subject one could enjoy reading in the sense of making one feel good, and while I can't remember a novel on the subject I did enjoy, I found I couldn't even relate to most of the characters. Only Silas and Noelle seemed at all real, perhaps because they were really the only likable people in the book. ( )
  Maya47Bob46 | Jun 6, 2014 |
This was a great read! i loved reading all of the different perspectives of the story. the technique was flawlessly executed & added to the suspense of the story. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
This is my second read for this author and I have to say, I am underwhelmed... after reading Rescue, I was looking forward to reading more by Anita Shreve but Testimony seemed to miss the mark.

A very enticing topic, I thought this book held a lot of promise. However, I found that the book lacked organization and that would be it's main downfall, in my opinion. It seemed to jump from year-to-year without mention of when it was and while this is normally not an issue, it was hard to figure out and I spend unnecessary time figuring it out. Also, the jumping from character to character, when added to the year-to-year jumping, was very confusing. Having so many characters involved, I almost needed a family tree/chart to keep track of who each person was and what their involvement in the story/crime was... very hard to track.

On a whole, the story was very good. I enjoyed the plot and I liked the twist that comes towards the end, regarding Silas and his family. It was very unexpected and definitely made me read that much harder to get to the bottom of the story.

Overall, I am glad that I have read this book and being at a 50% for the author, I will give her another try.

I would encourage every parent of a teenage girl to give her a copy of Testimony. Certainly, it contains several passages that are bleakly obscene. But it also offers girls the exact kind of story they want to read

for Michael Pietsch
It was a small cassette, not much bigger than the palm of his hand, and when Mike thought about the terrible license and risk exhibited on the tape, as well as its resultant destructive power, it was as though the two-by-three plastic package had been radioactive.

From book cover: At a prestigious New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora's box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voices -- those of the men, women, and teenagers involved. Mike Bordwin, the headmaster, struggles to contain the scandal before it destroys the school. Silas Quinney, a well-liked local boy, grapples with the tremendous consequences of his mistakes. Anna, his mother, confronts her own forbidden temptations. And Sienna, an enigmatic and troubled young woman, tries to put her past behind her. As the chorus of voices rises to a crescendo, it reveals the surprising truth of what occurred that night, and how the ives touched by these events will be forever transformed.

Writing with a pace and intensity surpassing even her own greatest work, Anita Shreve delivers in TESTIMONY a gripping emotional drama with the impact of a thriller. No one more compellingly explores the dark impulses that sway the lives of seeming innocents, the needs and fears that drive ordinary men and women into intolerable dilemmas, and the ways in which our best intentions can lead to our worst transgressions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:02 -0400)

At a New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora's box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voices--those of the men, women, teenagers, and parents involved in the scandal--that details the ways in which lives can be derailed or destroyed in one foolish moment.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible