Testimony: A Novel by Anita Shreve

Testimony: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Anita Shreve

Member:booketta
Title:Testimony: A Novel
Authors:Anita Shreve
Info:Back Bay Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:To read

Testimony by Anita Shreve

Recently added byEllemir, KimiJo5468, PreetiD, private library, CHPLAdultServic, swssms, Kathiroo, LT_Ammar, AmieB7

English (132)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (135)
Very slow start... don't know if i'm going to drop this one. Ok, it's not for me.
  Marion_B | Jan 19, 2016 |
I stopped reading at page 150. The story itself was promising but it just could not hold my attention. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
Avery Academy is a small, exclusive private school nestled among the mountains of rural Vermont. The headmaster, Mike Bordwin, has been presented with a videotape that shows three popular male students and stars of the basketball team, engaged in a sexual encounter with a 14-year-old freshman girl. The boys, Silas, Rob and J.Dot are 18 and 19 years old. Although Mike knows that he has no choice but to expel the three boys he feels that the matter can be handled internally thus saving the students and the school from a scandal. The girl, Sienna, although a willing participant in the night's activities, decides that it would be better for her if she says she was drugged and forced to be with the young men. Suddenly Avery Academy is the focus of a national sex scandal that will affect more than just the four students. Marriages will disintegrate, hearts are broken and a tragic death will add to the sorrow. As the story unfolds it becomes clear that a decision made by two people set one of the young people on a path to destruction.

This is quite an intense book and such a well-told story. The circumstances are unsavory indeed but it is interesting to read how each of the characters in the story played a part in the outcome. This is a book that I just could not put down but I did not give it 5 stars because there were so many characters that it was confusing at times. I have enjoyed nearly everything I have read by Shreve and this one is probably my favorite of hers to date.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
To be brief - my largest problem with the book stems from the alternating character POV. First, Faulkner set the standard in 'As I Lay Dying', and 'Testimony', while a compelling story, just doesn't compare. Second, the alternating POV adds *nothing* to the plot or character development. Nothing. The characters aren't thick enough to warrant my concern with what they're thinking. Disappointing. ( )
  cyrenitis | Dec 2, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
This is my second read for this author and I have to say, I am underwhelmed... after reading Rescue, I was looking forward to reading more by Anita Shreve but Testimony seemed to miss the mark.

A very enticing topic, I thought this book held a lot of promise. However, I found that the book lacked organization and that would be it's main downfall, in my opinion. It seemed to jump from year-to-year without mention of when it was and while this is normally not an issue, it was hard to figure out and I spend unnecessary time figuring it out. Also, the jumping from character to character, when added to the year-to-year jumping, was very confusing. Having so many characters involved, I almost needed a family tree/chart to keep track of who each person was and what their involvement in the story/crime was... very hard to track.

On a whole, the story was very good. I enjoyed the plot and I liked the twist that comes towards the end, regarding Silas and his family. It was very unexpected and definitely made me read that much harder to get to the bottom of the story.

Overall, I am glad that I have read this book and being at a 50% for the author, I will give her another try.

I would encourage every parent of a teenage girl to give her a copy of Testimony. Certainly, it contains several passages that are bleakly obscene. But it also offers girls the exact kind of story they want to read

for Michael Pietsch
It was a small cassette, not much bigger than the palm of his hand, and when Mike thought about the terrible license and risk exhibited on the tape, as well as its resultant destructive power, it was as though the two-by-three plastic package had been radioactive.

Writing with a pace and intensity surpassing even her own greatest work, Anita Shreve delivers in TESTIMONY a gripping emotional drama with the impact of a thriller. No one more compellingly explores the dark impulses that sway the lives of seeming innocents, the needs and fears that drive ordinary men and women into intolerable dilemmas, and the ways in which our best intentions can lead to our worst transgressions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

At a New England boarding school, a sex scandal is about to break. Even more shocking than the sexual acts themselves is the fact that they were caught on videotape. A Pandora's box of revelations, the tape triggers a chorus of voices--those of the men, women, teenagers, and parents involved in the scandal--that details the ways in which lives can be derailed or destroyed in one foolish moment.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,040,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible