Into the Storm: Destroyermen, Book I by…

Into the Storm: Destroyermen, Book I (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Taylor Anderson

Member:thombr
Title:Into the Storm: Destroyermen, Book I
Authors:Taylor Anderson
Info:Roc (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Audiobook, Your library

Into the Storm by Taylor Anderson (2008)

You know an author has got a knack for writing when he is able to make a ridiculous-sounding plot and turn it into a good story. Here's the basic plot: a World War II U.S. Navy destroyer goes through a space-time warp and winds up on an alternate Earth where humans never evolved; but lemur-cat-people and lizard-people did, both of whom have roughly medieval technology. The lizard men are trying to eradicate the lemurs from the world, and the human destroyermen take the side of the lemurs and fight back.
Sounds silly? Perhaps. Some of the book is taken up with what alternate history buffs love most: the working out of technical problems (i.e., how do you find oil on a planet that doesn't use it?) and the playing out of what-if scenarios, in this case the dual-species evolution. However, most of the novel is just that—a novel, and a good one at that.
Taylor Anderson is able to create real characters in this very unreal setting. When we follow the decision-making process of the captain, how he deals with the situation is more important than what that situation is. The interworkings of the crew(s) play out very well indeed, and the series promises to be a good one to follow (especially since I've read the backs of some of the later books in the series and he throws in a few good plot twists along the way!)
Generally, alternate history novels are shelved with science fiction. Today's cross-genre audience would be just as happy to find this in a suspense section, right alongside Tom Clancy: it is, after all, primarily an action-packed novel about a Navy ship. So many of readers are accustomed to having a few vampires or wizards thrown into the mix, how much of a stretch can lizard-men be? ( )
  browsers | Jun 14, 2016 |
Read (or listened to) this because of Audible's "favorite series" near give away. It was very enjoyable and I think teenage boys and girls who like sci/fi would enjoy it. Also, it has quite a following of fans. And, it is written by a Texas writer, which always interests me. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
The USS Walker, a World War I destroyer, is pressed into service after the devastating losses suffered at Pearl Harbor. No match for the newer Japanese vessels, the Walker and sister ship Mahan make for a squall to provide cover from the relentless attack. Once inside the squall, something strange happens. When the Walker emerges from the squall, they soon discover they have been transported to an alternate, parallel universe. An interesting premise for a book, reminiscent of the Philadelphia experiment. There are several other books in the series, and I may read those at a later date. I wanted to find out how the author handled this scenario and I think he did better than average. The story dragged at times, but for the most part kept my interest. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 5, 2015 |
An interesting mixture of sci fi, fantasy, historical fiction, and war. I liked it enough that I'll keep reading the series because I want to know what happens next. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Great book, will start the next in the series shortly. I highly recommend if alternate history with a twist is your thing. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |

Taylor Andersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my darling daughter, Rebecca Ruth. Everything I do is for her, after all. In return, I get her humor, wit, companionship, inspiration, and unqualified adoration. Not a bad trade.
They were running.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462378, Mass Market Paperback)

Pressed into service when World War II breaks out in the Pacific, the US Walker?a Great War-era destroyer?finds itself retreating from pursuing Japanese battleships. Its captain, Lieutenant Commander Matthew Patrick Reddy, desperately leads the Walker into a squall, hoping it will give them cover?only to emerge into an alternate world. A world where two species have evolved: the cat-like Lemurians and the reptilian Griks?and they are at war.

With its power and weaponry, the Walker?s very existence could alter the balance of power. And for Reddy and his crew, who have the means to turn a primitive war into a genocidal Armageddon, one thing becomes clear. They must determine whose side they?re on. Because whichever species they choose is the winner.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

An imaginative alternate history saga begins. Pressed into service when World War II breaks out in the Pacific, the USS "Walker" retreats from Japanese battleships. Its captain, Lieutenant Commander Matthew Patrick Reddy, heads "Walker" into a squall for cover. But the ship emerges somewhere else.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,243,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible