Into the Storm: Destroyermen, Book I by…

Into the Storm: Destroyermen, Book I (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Taylor Anderson

301None36,997 (3.74)13
Member:thombr
Title:Into the Storm: Destroyermen, Book I
Authors:Taylor Anderson
Info:Roc (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Audiobook, Your library

Into The Storm by Taylor Anderson (2008)

Great book, will start the next in the series shortly. I highly recommend if alternate history with a twist is your thing. ( )
  AutumnTurner | Dec 29, 2013 |
I had no idea what this series was about, hadn't even read a blurb, before I started it.
So I was under the impression it was about super robots, or mecha, or ninja's or something. I mean, come on, Destroyermen? Sounds like an army of unstoppable killer thingies to me!

Little did I know I was wandering into the dark of Alt-History. Shudder.

However, it turned out ok. It was an interesting story, but it seemed a little too easier for them to solve their supply problems. The Spectre of Bestiality raises its ugly head, and that was one reason I only gave this 3 stars instead of 4.

I am looking forward to more in this series. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
It's a good fun quick read. It seemed to stumble in a few places, the pacing was a little off, and I found myself skimming through a few times. For the most part the characters have more dimensions than I anticipated - except for the few female characters. They fell a little flat. But the working comraderie of the fighting crew was played out well.

That was the books strength. It's weakness was in a plot that never seemed to rise above sci fi cliches held together with chicken wire and chewing gum. (spoilers) battleships and freak storms that transport them into a parallel universe. Friendly cat-monkey (or monkey cat?) people and evil Lizard people. The kick ass Americans train the otherwise peaceful monkey people into fierce warriors to stand against the pure evilnof the Lizard people. There are, of course, rousing speeches given by the US captain that propelled them into unheard of feats of monkey-cat bravery.

That's not an all bad thing. If you want a delicious sandwich, you open up your fridge and squish everything that makes your mouth water between 2 pieces of bread. But the book never really rises above. ... and I'm being told that's not really the best way to make a sandwich - i was just guessing to be honest.

If I can find the next one used, i'll pick it up as a "vacation book". It was enjoyable enough for that. And if you're looking for some light naval/sci fi reading, this is the way to go.

But if you really want a taste of what that military snap crossed with sci fi can do, I would humbly recommend the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Starting with 'Gardens of the Moon'. It's like 'Into the Storm' only better. Having finished this book I have the nearly overwhelmed urge to reread that series. ( )
  JohnnyPanic13 | Apr 3, 2013 |

Taylor Andersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462378, Mass Market Paperback)

Pressed into service when World War II breaks out in the Pacific, the US Walker?a Great War-era destroyer?finds itself retreating from pursuing Japanese battleships. Its captain, Lieutenant Commander Matthew Patrick Reddy, desperately leads the Walker into a squall, hoping it will give them cover?only to emerge into an alternate world. A world where two species have evolved: the cat-like Lemurians and the reptilian Griks?and they are at war.

With its power and weaponry, the Walker?s very existence could alter the balance of power. And for Reddy and his crew, who have the means to turn a primitive war into a genocidal Armageddon, one thing becomes clear. They must determine whose side they?re on. Because whichever species they choose is the winner.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:26 -0400)

An imaginative alternate history saga begins. Pressed into service when World War II breaks out in the Pacific, the USS "Walker" retreats from Japanese battleships. Its captain, Lieutenant Commander Matthew Patrick Reddy, heads "Walker" into a squall for cover. But the ship emerges somewhere else.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible